Home Network Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fred Miller, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    Three computers as follows:
    A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home

    All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is connected to
    a cable modem.

    Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or being able
    to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not get the
    192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like 159.128.2.4
    although if I access the router setup theu either one of the other computers
    C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.

    I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    Suggestions?

    I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.

    TIA for any helpful suggestions.

    Fred

    Fred Miller, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Fred Miller

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Fred Miller" <> wrote in

    > Three computers as follows:
    > A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    > B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    > C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home
    >
    > All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is
    > connected to a cable modem.
    >
    > Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or
    > being able to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not
    > get the 192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like
    > 159.128.2.4 although if I access the router setup theu either one of
    > the other computers C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.
    >
    > I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    > unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    > hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.
    >
    > TIA for any helpful suggestions.
    >
    > Fred

    The 169. IP means that the computer cannot get an IP from the DHCP server
    on the router. This may be due to some mis-config of the NIC, the NIC is
    defective, ou the router is defective. The 169. IP will allow the
    computer to access computers on the LAN. But the IP will not allow the
    computer to access the WAN, since it's not getting an IP from the router.

    You can try IPconfig /release IPconfig /renew or reboot the machine to
    see if the TCP/IP Stack will release the 169. IP.

    If the above doesn't release it then you'll have to reset the TCP/IP
    Stack on the O/S.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    "Fred Miller" <> wrote in message
    > Three computers as follows:
    > A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    > B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    > C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home
    >
    > All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is connected

    > a cable modem.
    >
    > Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or being

    able
    > to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not get the
    > 192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like 159.128.2.4
    > although if I access the router setup theu either one of the other

    computers
    > C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.
    >
    > I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    > unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    > hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.
    >
    > TIA for any helpful suggestions.
    >
    > Fred

    Additional Information: Actual IP address found by Computer C is
    169.254..64.199 with a subnet m,ask of 255.255.0.0.

    Also, it appears thta the problem may be a bad connection at eh RJ-45 port
    in the computer. Teh network adapter is "onboard and is a "VAI". Can I put
    a separate NIC card in the computer? I think doing so will elimante the
    problem of the loose connection and the system should identify it and
    disconnectt he "VIA" NIC.

    Fred

    Fred Miller, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Fred Miller

    Thor Guest

    > Three computers as follows:
    > A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    > B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    > C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home
    >
    > All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is connected
    > a cable modem.
    >
    > Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or being
    > able
    > to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not get the
    > 192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like 159.128.2.4

    looks like it isn't acquiring an IP from the router and is instead assigning
    one to itself, or has one assigned manually. Be sure the properties of the
    network connection are set to acquire the IP automatically, and that a fixed
    IP is not currently assigned.

    > although if I access the router setup theu either one of the other
    > computers
    > C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.
    >
    > I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    > unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    > Suggestions?

    the delete option being grayed out on a local ethernet connection is normal.
    instead try the following command from a command-prompt window. This will
    force a rebuild of the TCP/IP stack in winXP.

    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    reboot, then see if the machine gets the proper IP address from the router
    by opening a command prompt window and typing:

    ipconfig /renew

    the 192.168.1.X address should appear as assigned. If there is a long pause,
    then some other radically different IP appears, the problem remains. At that
    point I would consider resinstalling the network adapter drivers.

    > I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    > hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.

    if you solve the first issue, this one will likely solve itself. Don't
    forget to check your cabling as well.

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Fred Miller

    Thor Guest

    > "Fred Miller" <> wrote in message
    >> Three computers as follows:
    >> A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    >> B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    >> C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home
    >>
    >> All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is connected

    >> a cable modem.
    >>
    >> Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or being

    > able
    >> to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not get the
    >> 192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like
    >> 159.128.2.4
    >> although if I access the router setup theu either one of the other

    > computers
    >> C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.
    >>
    >> I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    >> unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    >> hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.
    >>
    >> TIA for any helpful suggestions.
    >>
    >> Fred
    >>

    > Additional Information: Actual IP address found by Computer C is
    > 169.254..64.199 with a subnet m,ask of 255.255.0.0.
    >
    > Also, it appears thta the problem may be a bad connection at eh RJ-45 port
    > in the computer. Teh network adapter is "onboard and is a "VAI". Can I
    > put
    > a separate NIC card in the computer? I think doing so will elimante the
    > problem of the loose connection and the system should identify it and
    > disconnectt he "VIA" NIC.

    Yes, and you can usually disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS. If not, just
    disable it in the windows device manager. Then install your NIC card.

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Fred Miller

    Fred Miller Guest

    See Below
    > Three computers as follows:
    > A: Desktop with 850 MHz P III with 512 MB of RAM running Win 2K
    > B. Laptop with 1.8 GHz P IV and 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro
    > C. Desktop with 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB of RAM running XP Home
    >
    > All connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router which in turn is connected

    > a cable modem.
    >
    > Computers A and B have no problems connecting to the internet or being

    able
    > to ping the router (at 192.168.1.1). Computer C does not get the
    > 192.168.1.1 as a LAN connection instead seeing something like 159.128.2.4
    > although if I access the router setup theu either one of the other

    computers
    > C does have an awssigned subsetlike 192.168.1.103.
    >
    > I would like to delete the LAN network connection on computer C but am
    > unable to do as the delete is always grayed out (not avialable).
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > I would also welcome any suggestions on how to get C to recognize the
    > hub/router and get on tot he internet with it.
    >
    > TIA for any helpful suggestions.
    >
    > Fred

    Turned out to be the RJ 45 connection on the board. $10 for a NIC card and
    all is well Thanks to all. Fred.

    Fred Miller, Dec 16, 2004