    Windows XP network setup wizard says it is unable to create a set up disk for
    systems operating windows 2000.

    Is there any way of getting around this and so create the home network?
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Greetings Andrew,

    The Network Setup Wizard is incompatible with Windows 2000. It will only
    work on Windows 98, ME, and XP. There's no problem though. It is never
    necessary to use the Network Setup Wizard even if it tells you to do so. You
    should be able to doing everything without doing much. Setting the workgroup
    name on the 2000 machine to MSHOME will make networking a little easier.

    Try testing the network and shares this way. Click Start, Run, and type one
    of the following commands in the Open box and then press ENTER.

    \\computer_name
    \\ip-address

    _____________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Eric Cross [MVP], Dec 10, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Andrew Taylor wrote:

    > I have recently established a Wireless connection between my desktop
    > and laptop through an access point / router.
    >
    > My destop is running Windows XP with SP2 whilst my laptop is using
    > Windows 2000.
    >
    > I have been unable to create a home network between the two to take
    > advantage of the wireless connection and my broadband internet
    > connection. Windows XP network setup wizard says it is unable to
    > create a set up disk for systems operating windows 2000.
    >
    > Is there any way of getting around this and so create the home
    > network?

    IIRC, you can't run the wizard on Win2k. Do you know if the wireless on
    the laptop works? Can it see the access point? Since we don't know what
    you've done or your hardware, it's hard to be specific. However, let's
    assume that you know your wireless hardware on the laptop works (you've
    tried it at a friends, Starbucks, etc.).

    Go to your router's configuration settings. Most routers are configured
    in your browser by entering http://192.168.x.x and then the default
    user/password - this depends on the brand of router. Refer to the
    router manual.

    Go to the wireless and make the SSID a name that is memorable to you;
    i.e., "taylor" or the like. Set a WEP key and write it down. Some
    routers let you use a text passphrase to create the key. Go ahead, but
    the key - numbers - is what you write down. You will not use the
    passphrase on the laptop.

    Now go to the laptop and configure its wireless to match the SSID and
    WEP key to that on the router. How you configure the laptop's wireless
    depends on what the hardware is. There will be some sort of wireless
    connection manager.

    If you need more help, then please post back to this thread with more
    information about your hardware and what you've already tried to do.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Dec 10, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=

    peter Guest

    Lets see I am trying to remember how I did this when I used the 2 OS.
    If I remember right I just ran the Network wizard seperately on each machine
    without making any disk.
    I also enabled sharing by right clicking the drives.I also mapped the networked
    drives under "my network places"
    peter

    peter, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Dear Malke

    Thank you for your response. I appreciate receiving your reply.

    I am running the Draytek Vigor 2600G wireless router on the desktop and the
    Vigor 540 wireless cardbus adapter on the laptop. I can confirm the laptop
    WLAN manager utility program has made contact with the router. SSID, WEP and
    channels all match. I have checked the desktop router configerator on the
    web to see if it has found the laptop but not totally sure how to do this!
    As the laptop has clearly located the desktop then Iis it fair to assume the
    desktop has found the laptop?!

    I have also managed to set up a home network on the desktop called 'Mshome'
    which can be seen in the My Network Places / workgroup screen. Equally the
    same network 'Mshome' appears within the Entire Network / Microsoft Windows
    Network screen on the laptop.

    However the problem now is that when I go into the Mshome network on the
    laptop and receive the following error:

    \\Taylor is not accessible -- (Taylor being the desktop computer name)
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

    Any additional thoughts?

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=, Dec 10, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Andrew Taylor wrote:

    > Dear Malke
    >
    > Thank you for your response. I appreciate receiving your reply.
    >
    > I am running the Draytek Vigor 2600G wireless router on the desktop
    > and the
    > Vigor 540 wireless cardbus adapter on the laptop. I can confirm the
    > laptop
    > WLAN manager utility program has made contact with the router. SSID,
    > WEP and
    > channels all match. I have checked the desktop router configerator on
    > the web to see if it has found the laptop but not totally sure how to
    > do this! As the laptop has clearly located the desktop then Iis it
    > fair to assume the desktop has found the laptop?!
    >
    > I have also managed to set up a home network on the desktop called
    > 'Mshome'
    > which can be seen in the My Network Places / workgroup screen.
    > Equally the same network 'Mshome' appears within the Entire Network /
    > Microsoft Windows Network screen on the laptop.
    >
    > However the problem now is that when I go into the Mshome network on
    > the laptop and receive the following error:
    >
    > \\Taylor is not accessible -- (Taylor being the desktop computer
    > name) There are currently no logon servers available to service the
    > logon request

    1. Make identical user accounts/passwords on both machines.
    2. Make sure the lan IP range is put in any firewall settings as
    trusted.
    3. I assume the laptop is your home laptop and isn't normally connecting
    to a domain - at work, perhaps?
    4. Make sure your connection is set to get an IP address (from the
    router) automatically. I'm not familiar with that particular router,
    but I am assuming it is providing DHCP.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Dear Malke

    Thank you for your reply.

    I can confirm the wireless network is working. The SSID, WEP and channels
    between my desktop and laptop all match. The connection status on the WLAN
    utility program on the laptop indicates their is a connection. I did try to
    check the destop web router configerator to ensure a similar connection but
    was not sure exactly how to do this! I am using a Draytek Vigor 2600G router
    on the destop and a Vigor 540 cardbus on the laptop.

    I have also managed to create a network worgroup entitled 'Mshome' on the
    desktop and this has been identified on the laptop under My Network Places.

    The further problem I am having is that when I try and open the network on
    the laptop I receive the following error message:

    \\Taylor is not accessible -- (taylor is the name of the desktop!)
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

    Do you know how to resolve this problem?

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Apologies for the previous response which kind of just repeats what was
    already said. New to this message board technique but have to say it is very
    helpful.

    I suspect my problem is that my laptop is used at work from time to time.

    A few further questions if I may:

    1. Not sure what you mean by identical user names / passwords? I do not
    have any such control attached to the network connection.

    2. How do I find the IP address of the laptop?

    3. I have just checked the system folder on the laptop and it does have a
    different computer name and is pointing to a domain. I do have the option to
    change this to workgroup.

    4. The web router certainly refers to a DHCP server setting. Not sure how
    to change settings on the laptop.

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=, Dec 10, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRheWxvcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Andrew Taylor wrote:

    > Apologies for the previous response which kind of just repeats what
    > was
    > already said. New to this message board technique but have to say it
    > is very helpful.
    >
    > I suspect my problem is that my laptop is used at work from time to
    > time.
    >
    > A few further questions if I may:
    >
    > 1. Not sure what you mean by identical user names / passwords? I do
    > not have any such control attached to the network connection.
    >
    > 2. How do I find the IP address of the laptop?
    >
    > 3. I have just checked the system folder on the laptop and it does
    > have a
    > different computer name and is pointing to a domain. I do have the
    > option to change this to workgroup.
    >
    > 4. The web router certainly refers to a DHCP server setting. Not
    > sure how to change settings on the laptop.

    I'm really hesitant to suggest you change anything on the laptop since
    it connects to a domain. It *should* be all right if you log in
    locally, but you would do better to ask your systems administrator at
    work for exact instructions to do what you want. In the meantime, here
    is a network troubleshooter and some other links to check.

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
    Hans-Georg Michna
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)