Home network problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bobby, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
    running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
    networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.

    Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.

    But I can't get my home network to work.

    I have tried to share the printer that is physically connected to my desktop
    system. This printer works correctly (using my desktop PC).

    My notebook sees this shared printer when I list the available printers
    (Control Panel -> Printers) but nothing happens when I try to print. I have
    tried adding a new printer but this process does not see my shared printer.

    I have also shared folders on both the desktop and notebook systems. But I
    can't see these shared folders on any system.

    When I try to use My Network Places I see my home network (called "Home")
    but when I try to access it I get the following message: "Home is not
    accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."

    I think that my printing problem is linked to my network problem.

    Help!

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Dec 23, 2005

  2. you have to have a common user on both machines when using XP home for
    networking. In other words whatever user account you have on the pro
    machine, you need to have the identical profile on the home machine. also if
    that doesnt work try enabling NW Link Net bios on both machines.

    typical computer geek, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Bobby

    GTS Guest

    If you are using Windows Firewall make sure the File and Print Sharing is
    enabled. If you have a 3rd party firewall it must be properly configured
    to permit sharing. See http://ezlan.net/Installing.html for additional
    information.

    GTS, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Bobby

    GTS Guest

    You're post is highly inaccurate. You might want to study the issue and
    learn about Simple File Sharing particularly before trying to advise others.
    See http://www.practicallynetworked.com and http://ezlan.net/ for some basic
    tutorials.

    GTS, Dec 23, 2005
  5. typical computer geek wrote:

    > you have to have a common user on both machines when using XP home for
    > networking. In other words whatever user account you have on the pro
    > machine, you need to have the identical profile on the home machine.

    Sorry, that's completely false.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Bobby wrote:

    > I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I
    > am running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use
    > wireless networking connected to the Internet via a wireless
    > modem/router.
    > Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
    >
    > But I can't get my home network to work.

    Are you running firewalls on both machines? Which firewall? Have you
    configured it to allow sharing?

    Ken Blake, MVP, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    I have McAfee on my desktop machine and Norton on my notebook.

    Can you tell me how to configure these programs to permit file and print
    sharing?

    Bobby, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Bobby wrote:

    > I have McAfee on my desktop machine and Norton on my notebook.
    >
    > Can you tell me how to configure these programs to permit file and
    > print sharing?

    Sorry, I don't use either of those programs and can't help with the
    configuration, but I'm sure someone else who knows these will volunteer to
    help. It's very likely that your problem is misconfiguration of one or both
    of the firewalls and is easily fixed.

    You might want to verify that the firewalls are your problem. Unplug your
    interet connection temporarily, and then turn off both firewalls. Does
    sharing work now? If so, then I'm right that that's your problem. Turn the
    firewalls back on, reconnect the internet connection, and wait for more help
    here from someone who knows the details of these firewalls.

    Ken Blake, MVP, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Bobby

    vze1xjz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have set-up a home network for my desktop and notebook computers. I am
    > running XP Pro on my desktop and XP Home on the notebooks. All use wireless
    > networking connected to the Internet via a wireless modem/router.
    >
    > Internet access worked perfectly on all systems.
    >
    > But I can't get my home network to work.

    XP Home is not networkable. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but even
    so...
    You might try to use Start-Run-\\ipaddress and see if a window pops up
    with the shared contents.

    Can you ping the machines from the other machines?

    Another thought is that your wireless network is not ad-hoc, but looking
    to an access point, which is necessary to get to the internet. The
    wireless router might be blocking station to station traffic.

    Dont' turn on NWLink. That's netware.

    vze1xjz, Dec 24, 2005
  10. Bobby

    LMD Guest

    XP Home is networkable. My current home wireless network is your desired
    setup. XP Home on laptops w/ XP pro on desktop wired to printer.

    Lynn

    LMD, Dec 25, 2005
  11. Bobby

    Carol Guest

    I don't have any users on any of my computers except the one I log on with
    as administrator and the profiles are all different on each computer. I had
    5 computer connected and sharing just fine. I don't think what you are
    saying about the users is correct.

    Carol, Dec 28, 2005
  12. Bobby

    Carol Guest

    When you installed the firewall I'm pretty sure it defaults to allowing home
    network (if it didn't ask). I have both and they are working and allowing my
    home computer and I didn't do anything special. There is a place where you
    add IP addresses (advanced setting) and you can check to see if the span of
    IP addresses on the home network is xxx-xxx-x-0 through 999. (I think it's
    something like 192-168-2-0 I'm sure the people here can give you the exact
    span of numbers).
    You can always turn off the firewall and see if you can connect then. If you
    can, you know it's the firewall.

    Carol, Dec 28, 2005
  13. Bobby

    Gord Stephan Guest

    for XP Home the computer acces rigths are managed by profile and as such
    each computer on teh network has to have at least on common profile. they
    don't have to be in use, they just have to be accounts on teh computer

    Gord Stephan, Dec 28, 2005
  14. Make sure BOTH computers sharing the Net access have the same workgroup
    name.Be it the default HOME or MSHOME or something more original. I have
    found the same SSID (name) of the wireless network works best as the
    workgroup name. Easier to remember. Also, make sure the NWLink
    IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible protocol is bound to the wireless NIC on the
    laptop and the NIC on the desktop. That also I have found is important to
    make the computers seen by the other devices on the network.

    Patrick Murray, Jan 2, 2006