Home Network Problem - Router or DSL?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by T Brox, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. T Brox

    T Brox Guest

    Hello:

    I have an interesting problem.
    I have inconsistent response on my home network both internet & between
    wired & wireless computer.
    Everything "sort of" works.........
    Not at all "snappy".
    At first I thought it was a DSL problem.
    My download speeds are "OK", 2-2.5 mbs but they are jerky & inconsistent.
    The modem has appropriate green lights.
    I have also noticed that the local network transfers (i.e. slingbox) also
    are at times jerky & inconsistent (wired & wireless), also large file
    transfers.
    I have checked wires, cables & connections.
    I get a message from the one computer that the LAN Connection is
    intermittently "disconnected"? Seemed to improve when I changed ports in the
    router?
    Do I have a failing router?
    Thanks
    Tim

    T Brox, Dec 26, 2007

  2. T Brox

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:55:47 -0800, "T Brox" <> wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >I have an interesting problem.
    >I have inconsistent response on my home network both internet & between
    >wired & wireless computer.
    >Everything "sort of" works.........
    >Not at all "snappy".
    >At first I thought it was a DSL problem.
    >My download speeds are "OK", 2-2.5 mbs but they are jerky & inconsistent.
    >The modem has appropriate green lights.
    >I have also noticed that the local network transfers (i.e. slingbox) also
    >are at times jerky & inconsistent (wired & wireless), also large file
    >transfers.
    >I have checked wires, cables & connections.
    >I get a message from the one computer that the LAN Connection is
    >intermittently "disconnected"? Seemed to improve when I changed ports in the
    >router?
    >Do I have a failing router?
    >Thanks
    >Tim

    Tim,

    Start with a WiFi environment check.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/06/analyse-your-wifi-environment.html

    And look at physical WiFi issues in your home.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/wifi-will-never-be-as-fast-as-ethernet.html

    Try to remove WiFi from the suspect list.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Dec 26, 2007

  3. Hi
    Wireless connection is affected by the environment so it is inconsistent by
    Nature.
    However if the wired connection is inconsistent too then the Wireless will
    be really "bad".
    Green light on the Modem means that you a connection, it does not mean a
    Good or stable connection.
    You should start by connecting a good computer with a correctly set TCP/IP
    stack directly to the modem, if it is inconsistent you should
    take" it with the ISP.
    Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 26, 2007
  4. T Brox

    T Brox Guest

    Thanks & these comments make sense..........
    After careful consideration while doing my daily run I came to the
    conclusion that my problems were indeed the "router".
    I purchased a new D-Link DIR 655.
    1. The wired connections are stable again.
    2. Skype & slingbox work
    3. The internet browsing is noticeably "snappier"!
    4. The wireless connection is stronger & seems better.

    I think I was right!
    Guess it is better to be lucky then "smart"........
    Thanks again.........

    T Brox, Dec 27, 2007