    2. Will there be any outside security concerns by opening up file sharing /
    printing between these machines?

    Howie

    Howie, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Howie

    Duane Arnold Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/shht

    > 2. Will there be any outside security concerns by opening up file sharing
    > /
    > printing between these machines?

    There will be no problem with doing this because the machines are setting
    behind the NAT router and they are protected by the router. You should
    disable ZA for the initial setup of the networking to make sure it works and
    the machines will be protected because of the NAT router.

    After you enable ZA, then you'll need to configure ZA to allow networking
    between the machines and that may involve putting the device IP of the
    router or the DHCP IP(s)/Subnet Mask(s) being used by the machines into the
    Trusted Zone of ZA. I don't use ZA and someone else may know how to
    configure ZA or you can use Google.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Howie

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Re: shooting rectal pains

    Aquila Deus, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Howie

    Wizard Guest

    Yes; there are security concerns. You should install "netbeui" protocol
    and bind it to "file and printer sharing" and unbind tcp/ip from sharing
    files.

    Wizard, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Howie

    Jerry G. Guest

    Since you have a router, and there should be a firewall in it, uninstall
    Zone Alarm. Without this firewall software, you will see that your machines
    will run a bit faster, have greater resources, and also be more stable.

    You must set your hard disks to share, if you want them shared across the
    home network. Also, each of the machines will need the printer driver
    installed for the shared printer. The machine that has the printer
    installed, must have the printer properties set to share. The remote
    machine's printer properties must be set up to see the host computer's
    printer over the home network.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Feb 24, 2005
  6. Howie

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Since you have a router, and there should be a firewall in it, uninstall
    > Zone Alarm. Without this firewall software, you will see that your
    > machines
    > will run a bit faster, have greater resources, and also be more stable.

    If the D-link NAT router can meet the specs in the link for *what a FW
    does*, then it is an appliance that has a FW. Otherwise, it's just a NAT
    router that may have some FW like features but is not a router with a true
    FW or a FW appliance like a Watchguard or Cisco and others. Some people
    supplement the NAT router with a PFW solution like ZA that can stop
    outbound.

    http://tinyurl.com/4awxu

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 25, 2005