Home Network on XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Hi...

    I'm trying to set up a home network with a host pc and three other nodes,
    all systems running win xp home.

    Anyway, when I go to 'my network places', I can see all of the nodes. When
    on the host pc, I can double click and open each other node, and see the
    shared files. The 3 nodes can't access the same for the host, nor can they
    access the shared folders of the other nodes.

    Each node can access the network printer which is connected to the host pc.

    I know it's not a matter of the workgroup name, because I've double checked
    that, and each node does show up when I click on 'view workgroup computers'

    I hope I'm explaining this well enough to try and get some help, but what do
    I have to do in order to get the nodes to see each other and to see the host
    pc shared folders?

    I get the following message when trying to double click on the 'my network
    place' to try to open the shared folder on each:

    "\\(computername) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    if you have access permissions. Access is denied"

    I am the administrator on each pc. What do you think I need to do. Again,
    the main or host pc is able to access each node without issue. The nodes
    just can't access teh shared folders of the host or other nodes, yet all
    nodes show up on individual node when clicking on 'view workgroup computers'

    Thanks, in advance!

    Linda

    nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 3, 2004

  2. nonewz_is_goodnewz

    Dan Shea Guest

    Hi Linda,

    Just to be clear:
    - All computers can see all other computers in View Network
    Computers
    - One computer (the host) can access the network shares on all
    other computers
    - No other computers can access the network shares on any of
    the other computers, including the shares on the host

    Yes?

    What user name(s) are you using to log on to the various computers?
    How is the host set up differently than the nodes?

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Hi Dan.

    Thanks.

    Yes, all computers can see all other computers in the View Network
    Computers...

    Yes, the host computer can access the network shares of all other computers.

    No other computers can access shares of any other computers, including the
    host.

    I'm not using any user name. For example. This laptop that I am on is one
    of the nodes. I am running Windows XP home on it. I'm log into it as
    usual.

    I click on network computers, I can see the host computer (and other nodes
    also). If I double click it, I get the message that I put in the original
    post.

    The host computer, to my knowledge, is not set up any differently. It may
    be, but I don't know where to look. I've followed all of the netowrking
    troubleshooters, and nothing in there helps, because they mostly deal with
    computer or workgroup name issues, and each computer has a unique name, and
    the workgroup name is not the problem.

    All computers, host and others, are running XP home.

    Linda

    nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 3, 2004