Home network - mapped network drives (dis)appear

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tiny Tim, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    My homebuilt media centre PC is wired to my DG834G router and I connect to
    that from my laptop over a wireless connection. Several of the
    drives/folders on the server are shared and I have permanent drive mappings
    to these defined on the laptop - e.g. M:Music, P:pictures, S:Software,
    V:Video etc..

    But access to these drives seems to appear and disappear at random and I
    haven't a clue why. Even when I cannot connect to a mapped drive I am still
    able to connect to the server via RealVNC and internet access remains solid
    but nothing I do will force the mappings to work - it just starts working
    again when it is good and ready. Usually rebooting the laptop will bring the
    connections back up but they will also eventually reappear when it suits
    them.

    The server and laptop are both running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    I am running the standard Windows firewall on the laptop and server and have
    run the home networking wizard to open up the necessary sharing ports. As I
    am behind a NAT router SPI firewall I don't have any other blocking
    software.

    Also, file transfers do not seem to be that quick, only using a max of ~30%
    of the wireless connection's 54Mbps bandwidth.

    Any ideas? Thanks, Tim.
    Tiny Tim, Mar 2, 2005