Home Network Internal Security help?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able to
    point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I have
    all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench system and
    backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate workgroup from
    my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files are shared, he
    can still gain access to my files even though he is in a seperate
    workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is to not share
    the drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does not have the
    best surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of my business.
    First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network and I don't
    want him in my files, for whatever reason.
    Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to stay
    away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

    Chris

    Chris, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Chris

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able to
    >point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs are
    >mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I have all
    >kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench system and backed
    >up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate workgroup from my
    >roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files are shared, he can
    >still gain access to my files even though he is in a seperate workgroup.
    >The only way I have found to block access is to not share the drive or
    >files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does not have the best surfing
    >habits and my data is crucial for some of my business. First off, I don't
    >want virii running rampant on my network and I don't want him in my files,
    >for whatever reason.
    > Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    > charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    > constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to stay
    > away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    Well, since you didn't bother stating what OS your PCs are running, I'm
    going to guess it's some flaver of Windows 9x. Because if you had XP, you
    wouldn't have that problem.

    Or if you are using XP, you don't have a clue about security and setting up
    proper shares. It's not rocket science...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/howtouse/default.mspx

    Toolman Tim, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Chris

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Your data is crucial?
    I bet you dont have any backup

    MrGrumpy, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    MrGrumpy wrote:
    > Your data is crucial?
    > I bet you dont have any backup

    Backed up among all 3 PCs, on a HDD removed from all systems and on
    CD-RW, thanks for your help.

    Chris, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able to
    >>point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >>connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs are
    >>mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I have all
    >>kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench system and backed
    >>up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate workgroup from my
    >>roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files are shared, he can
    >>still gain access to my files even though he is in a seperate workgroup.
    >>The only way I have found to block access is to not share the drive or
    >>files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does not have the best surfing
    >>habits and my data is crucial for some of my business. First off, I don't
    >>want virii running rampant on my network and I don't want him in my files,
    >>for whatever reason.
    >>Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    >>charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    >>constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to stay
    >>away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Chris

    > Well, since you didn't bother stating what OS your PCs are running, I'm
    > going to guess it's some flaver of Windows 9x. Because if you had XP, you
    > wouldn't have that problem.
    >
    > Or if you are using XP, you don't have a clue about security and setting up
    > proper shares. It's not rocket science...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/howtouse/default.mspx

    You're right! I don't have a clue. That is why I asked for help.
    Although I find your reply a bit rude, thanks for the information. I
    appreciate it.

    Chris, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Chris

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able to
    >>>point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >>>connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs are
    >>>mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I have all
    >>>kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench system and
    >>>backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate workgroup from
    >>>my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files are shared, he
    >>>can still gain access to my files even though he is in a seperate
    >>>workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is to not share the
    >>>drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does not have the best
    >>>surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of my business. First off,
    >>>I don't want virii running rampant on my network and I don't want him in
    >>>my files, for whatever reason.
    >>>Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    >>>charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    >>>constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to stay
    >>>away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Chris

    >> Well, since you didn't bother stating what OS your PCs are running, I'm
    >> going to guess it's some flaver of Windows 9x. Because if you had XP, you
    >> wouldn't have that problem.
    >>
    >> Or if you are using XP, you don't have a clue about security and setting
    >> up proper shares. It's not rocket science...
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/howtouse/default.mspx
    >>

    > You're right! I don't have a clue. That is why I asked for help.
    > Although I find your reply a bit rude, thanks for the information. I
    > appreciate it.

    Actually, I was quite nice. You want to know what rude *really* is, stick
    around a while, and read some of the other posts...

    Toolman Tim, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Chris

    FML Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able to
    > point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    > connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    > are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I have
    > all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench system and
    > backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate workgroup from
    > my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files are shared, he
    > can still gain access to my files even though he is in a seperate
    > workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is to not share
    > the drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does not have the
    > best surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of my business.
    > First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network and I don't
    > want him in my files, for whatever reason.
    > Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    > charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    > constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to stay
    > away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    What OS?

    FML, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    FML wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able
    >> to point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >> connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    >> are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I
    >> have all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench
    >> system and backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate
    >> workgroup from my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files
    >> are shared, he can still gain access to my files even though he is in
    >> a seperate workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is to
    >> not share the drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does
    >> not have the best surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of my
    >> business. First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network
    >> and I don't want him in my files, for whatever reason.
    >> Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    >> charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    >> constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to
    >> stay away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Chris

    > What OS?

    Sorry, 2 on XP Pro, and one running W2K. The roommates is XP Home

    Chris, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Chris

    FML Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > FML wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able
    >>> to point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >>> connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    >>> are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I
    >>> have all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench
    >>> system and backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate
    >>> workgroup from my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my
    >>> files are shared, he can still gain access to my files even though he
    >>> is in a seperate workgroup. The only way I have found to block
    >>> access is to not share the drive or files. Here is where it gets
    >>> hairy. He does not have the best surfing habits and my data is
    >>> crucial for some of my business. First off, I don't want virii
    >>> running rampant on my network and I don't want him in my files, for
    >>> whatever reason.
    >>> Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    >>> charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick
    >>> of constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to
    >>> stay away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> What OS?

    > Sorry, 2 on XP Pro, and one running W2K. The roommates is XP Home

    You should be able to secure those shares by user, see if this helps:

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/filesharing.mspx>

    FML, Aug 4, 2005
  10. Chris wrote:
    > FML wrote:
    > > Chris wrote:
    > >
    > >> I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able
    > >> to point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    > >> connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    > >> are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I
    > >> have all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench
    > >> system and backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate
    > >> workgroup from my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my files
    > >> are shared, he can still gain access to my files even though he is in
    > >> a seperate workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is to
    > >> not share the drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does
    > >> not have the best surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of my
    > >> business. First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network
    > >> and I don't want him in my files, for whatever reason.
    > >> Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    > >> charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick of
    > >> constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to
    > >> stay away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Chris

    > > What OS?

    > Sorry, 2 on XP Pro, and one running W2K. The roommates is XP Home

    You're going to have to use passwords, unless you want to configure
    separate subnets which would probably require a more advanced router
    than the Linksys you have.

    cyberwasteland, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Chris

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Chris <> wrote in news::

    > FML wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope there is a way to do this and I hope someone here will be able
    >>> to point me in the right direction. I have 4 PCs sharing a broadband
    >>> connection through a Linksys wireless router. Actually, 3 of the PCs
    >>> are mine and one is my roommate's. I work on PCs on the side, so I
    >>> have all kinds of drviers, info, and utilities stored on my bench
    >>> system and backed up to my other 2 PCs. These reside in a separate
    >>> workgroup from my roommate's PC. The problem is that because my

    files
    >>> are shared, he can still gain access to my files even though he is in
    >>> a seperate workgroup. The only way I have found to block access is

    >>> not share the drive or files. Here is where it gets hairy. He does
    >>> not have the best surfing habits and my data is crucial for some of

    my
    >>> business. First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network
    >>> and I don't want him in my files, for whatever reason.
    >>> Is there a way to block access to my files from just one of the PCs
    >>> charing the router connection, short of not sharing. I'll get sick

    of
    >>> constantly sharing and unsharing while working. Also, I'd like to
    >>> stay away from passwords if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> What OS?

    > Sorry, 2 on XP Pro, and one running W2K. The roommates is XP Home

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    You use Authenticated User Group on Shares and remove Everyone and all
    other accounts off the Share only leaving the Authenticated User Group
    with the access you need, which is being explained in the link above. If
    the other person is not using an user account that you have set-up on
    your machine, then it's not an authenticated user-id that can be used on
    the Share.

    You may be able to use some of the other security tips too for XP and
    there is a link similar link for Win 2K.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 4, 2005
  12. Chris

    Plato Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > First off, I don't want virii running rampant on my network and I don't

    ^^^^^

    No such animal. You may want to call in a tech using the phone book.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 4, 2005