home network help

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ada, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Ada

    Ada Guest

    Help needed for my home network
    This is the situation.

    I have 2 computers. Each computer has the necessary hardware installed
    for a home network, ie NIC's in both computers

    The main computer we will call A and the other computer we will call B

    I have called my network HOME OFFICE

    I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.

    A has a D-LINK DSL-504g Router attached, which feeds to the internet.
    B connects to this router by a network cable.
    B can successfully access the internet through this DSL router.

    I have set up a network using thr wizard on computer A and the floppy
    produced to set up computer B
    If when using computer A I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW
    WORKGROUP COMPUTERS both computers are visible and I can access files
    from both computers ( A & B)

    I can successfully ping both computers from A.

    If when using computer B I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW
    WORKGROUP COMPUTERS both computers are NOT VISIBLE.
    I can successfully ping computer B from B
    I CANNOT successfully ping cumputer A from B

    If I EXPLORE the network settings I can see HOME OFFICE as a network on
    the screen, but when I try to access it I get the following message.
    " HOME OFFICE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permissions"

    I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.

    I have set up computer B manually 4 times now

    I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and
    reinstalled all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.

    Anyone got any ideas??
    Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    Many thanks.
    Ada, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Ada

    tiddlywink Guest

    "Ada" <> wrote in message
    > Help needed for my home network
    > I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and reinstalled
    > all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas??
    > Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    > Many thanks.

    Firewall? share's set up on both computers?
    tiddlywink, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Ada

    XPD Guest

    "Ada" <> wrote in message
    > Help needed for my home network
    > This is the situation.

    Had this similar situation at a clients a few weeks ago... theres a
    registry key you can edit which fixes this sort of issue in most cases....
    have a look via google, its how I found it.... unfortunately I didnt write
    down the site I used :(
    Ive got to start doing that....
    XPD, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Ada

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:26:43 +1200, Ada <> wrote:

    >I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and
    >reinstalled all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas??

    Computer A could be your problem, it might not be letting B see it.
    If you have any firewalls running have you set them to allow local network
    traffic in and out?
    Craig Shore, Jul 10, 2005
  5. In article <Oc3Ae.14582$>, sparkynz1
    @netscape.net says...

    Please tell us what operating system is running on both compters.
    I assume XP on machine A (because of your mentionint "my network
    places" which was called network neighbourhood on win'9x. But what about
    the other?
    What networking protocols have you installed on either machine?

    Does the router have a built-in firewall? You may have to look at the
    settings there.

    Do you run a fiewall on either computer? That might be what's causing
    the problem. If you can't ping A from B then that sure sounds like
    something gobbling up the traffic (e.g. dropping it). If traffic wasn't
    interrupted by something, the pings should work, even if there's a
    problem with the filesharing/browser master/netbios.
    If machine A is running a firewall, and B has a fixed IP address, set up
    a rule to accept traffic from that address. If B doesn't have a fixed
    IP, you may have to resort to a rule referring to the MAC address?!?

    Can computer B see itself on the network?

    Where do the machines get their IP number from? Fixed, router, A fixed
    and B dhcp?

    Does computer B have an empty password? That might be your problem.
    It can be fixed from control panel - administrative tools I think, or
    from the group policy editor. I found the pertinent information on
    http://www.wown.com. WinXP doesn't under some circumstances allow other
    computers with a blank password to log in via network.

    Sorry, some of this is not exactly in sequence, but there are usually so
    many avenues of enquiry :)

    h.t.h. -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Ada

    jedmeister Guest

    "Ada" <> wrote in message
    > Help needed for my home network
    > This is the situation.
    >
    > I have 2 computers. Each computer has the necessary hardware installed for
    > a home network, ie NIC's in both computers
    >
    > The main computer we will call A and the other computer we will call B
    >
    > I have called my network HOME OFFICE
    >
    > I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.
    >
    > A has a D-LINK DSL-504g Router attached, which feeds to the internet.
    > B connects to this router by a network cable.
    > B can successfully access the internet through this DSL router.
    >
    > I have set up a network using thr wizard on computer A and the floppy
    > produced to set up computer B
    > If when using computer A I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW WORKGROUP
    > COMPUTERS both computers are visible and I can access files from both
    > computers ( A & B)
    >
    > I can successfully ping both computers from A.
    >
    > If when using computer B I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW WORKGROUP
    > COMPUTERS both computers are NOT VISIBLE.
    > I can successfully ping computer B from B
    > I CANNOT successfully ping cumputer A from B
    >
    > If I EXPLORE the network settings I can see HOME OFFICE as a network on
    > the screen, but when I try to access it I get the following message.
    > " HOME OFFICE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    > you have access permissions"
    >
    > I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.
    >
    > I have set up computer B manually 4 times now
    >
    > I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and reinstalled
    > all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas??
    > Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    > Many thanks.

    Be aware of Zonealarm, it can be unpredictable at times. If you had
    Zonealarm previously or currently on either machine, then do a manual
    uninstall. This takes about 1/2 hour, you can find info on the zonealarm
    website in the forums I think.

    Enable Netbios too.

    Are you running xp pro, or xp home? If it is pro, then switch on security
    logging. Then, right click my computer, manage, event viewer, security.

    This can sometimes show some information on what is going on.eg, I could not
    ping the other machine, but, security logging showed at the netbios level it
    was communicating at least.
    jedmeister, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Ada

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <Oc3Ae.14582$>, sparkynz1
    > @netscape.net says...
    >
    > Please tell us what operating system is running on both compters.
    > I assume XP on machine A (because of your mentionint "my network
    > places" which was called network neighbourhood on win'9x. But what
    > about the other?

    He also mentions being logged on as administrator on both machines. I didn't
    think that was an option with 9x OS's.

    Methinks the failure to mention operating systems when it is such a critical
    bit of info is a give-away. I'm guessing machine B is running a Linux distro
    and this is a semi-trolling thread.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  9. In article <>, says...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <Oc3Ae.14582$>, sparkynz1
    > > @netscape.net says...
    > >
    > > Please tell us what operating system is running on both compters.
    > > I assume XP on machine A (because of your mentionint "my network
    > > places" which was called network neighbourhood on win'9x. But what
    > > about the other?

    > He also mentions being logged on as administrator on both machines. I didn't
    > think that was an option with 9x OS's.

    Right, right. I slid right past that one with brain in idle mode.

    > Methinks the failure to mention operating systems when it is such a critical
    > bit of info is a give-away. I'm guessing machine B is running a Linux distro
    > and this is a semi-trolling thread.

    LOL. Samba? Rumba? Macarena?

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Ada

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:10:33 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <Oc3Ae.14582$>, sparkynz1
    >> @netscape.net says...
    >>
    >> Please tell us what operating system is running on both compters.
    >> I assume XP on machine A (because of your mentionint "my network
    >> places" which was called network neighbourhood on win'9x. But what
    >> about the other?

    >He also mentions being logged on as administrator on both machines. I didn't
    >think that was an option with 9x OS's.
    >
    >Methinks the failure to mention operating systems when it is such a critical
    >bit of info is a give-away. I'm guessing machine B is running a Linux distro
    >and this is a semi-trolling thread.

    He used the wizard to make a floppy on A and used that in B though. That makes
    A Win XP and B Win 98 unless Linux has a wizard that makes a floppy to set up
    networking on other machines like Win XP does?
    Craig Shore, Jul 11, 2005
  11. Ada

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ada <> wrote in news:Oc3Ae.14582$U4.1687668
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Anyone got any ideas??
    > Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    > Many thanks.

    OS and versions of each pc please.
    One machine is set to do ICS? Internet Connection Sharing?
    Use the Networking wizards to setup all of the machines starting with the
    ICS box.
    Look into using a hosts file and a lanman file.
    Use tools like nbtstat to troubleshoot.
    Google will help now you have some starting points.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 11, 2005
  12. On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:26:43 +1200, Ada wrote:

    > Help needed for my home network
    > This is the situation.
    >
    > I have 2 computers. Each computer has the necessary hardware installed
    > for a home network, ie NIC's in both computers
    >
    > The main computer we will call A and the other computer we will call B
    >
    > I have called my network HOME OFFICE
    >
    > I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.
    >
    > A has a D-LINK DSL-504g Router attached, which feeds to the internet.
    > B connects to this router by a network cable.
    > B can successfully access the internet through this DSL router.
    >
    > I have set up a network using thr wizard on computer A and the floppy
    > produced to set up computer B
    > If when using computer A I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW
    > WORKGROUP COMPUTERS both computers are visible and I can access files
    > from both computers ( A & B)
    >
    > I can successfully ping both computers from A.
    >
    > If when using computer B I go to MY NETWORK PLACES and then VIEW
    > WORKGROUP COMPUTERS both computers are NOT VISIBLE.
    > I can successfully ping computer B from B
    > I CANNOT successfully ping cumputer A from B
    >
    > If I EXPLORE the network settings I can see HOME OFFICE as a network on
    > the screen, but when I try to access it I get the following message.
    > " HOME OFFICE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    > out if you have access permissions"
    >
    > I am an ADMINISTRATOR on both computers with full access rights.
    >
    > I have set up computer B manually 4 times now
    >
    > I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and
    > reinstalled all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas??
    > Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    > Many thanks.

    I'd take a guess that one of the PCs is running XP Pro.
    XP Pro has a default security policy that denies access to the machine over
    a network when using a blank password (and the guest account is denied
    access by default too).

    Also check if you are using simple file sharing (personally I don't).

    I've also heard that using the Wizard is a bad idea.

    Also enable Netbios over TCP/IP.

    And finally simply use the Map Network Drives option in XP and don't rely
    on the network neighbourhood (it sucks, unless you have a nice Samba server
    acting as the master browser or configure browsing election settings).
    wogers nemesis, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Ada

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:10:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> In article <Oc3Ae.14582$>, sparkynz1
    >>> @netscape.net says...
    >>>
    >>> Please tell us what operating system is running on both compters.
    >>> I assume XP on machine A (because of your mentionint "my network
    >>> places" which was called network neighbourhood on win'9x. But what
    >>> about the other?

    >> He also mentions being logged on as administrator on both machines.
    >> I didn't think that was an option with 9x OS's.
    >>
    >> Methinks the failure to mention operating systems when it is such a
    >> critical bit of info is a give-away. I'm guessing machine B is
    >> running a Linux distro and this is a semi-trolling thread.

    > He used the wizard to make a floppy on A and used that in B though.
    > That makes A Win XP and B Win 98 unless Linux has a wizard that makes
    > a floppy to set up networking on other machines like Win XP does?

    Excellent point. So the consensus is both machines running MS OS's that
    require admin rights. Is that just XP onwards? I've never had the pleasure
    of using 2K, even though I've heard good things about it.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  14. In article <u4pil3w2i089$>,
    says...

    > I'd take a guess that one of the PCs is running XP Pro.
    > XP Pro has a default security policy that denies access to the machine over
    > a network when using a blank password (and the guest account is denied
    > access by default too).

    That actually _seems_ to be one of those afterthought things. I
    installed XP vanilla on this machine, and later updated with an offical
    XP Pro with SP1 incluced install disk and the Win98 machines on the
    network have always been able to log in with blank passwords, without a
    problem at all. I assume SP1 took on the policy that was in place. Hard
    to tell, though.

    However, somewhere along the line the default policy setting has
    changed. The folks across the road successfully brought their Lan to a
    standstill by virtue of this mechanism when they updated their Win2k
    machine to XP recently - I _think_ but am not sure, that that one
    included SP2 on the CD. Took me a couple of hours to sort that one since
    they also stuffed up the workgroup, and a couple of other things (like
    uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers, voiding the share
    name)

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Ada

    Nelly Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:20:50 +1200, "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot
    net dot nz> wrote:

    >"Ada" <> wrote in message
    >> Help needed for my home network
    >> I have removed the card and all software from computer B. and reinstalled
    >> all. Done this 3 times today and still it will not work.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas??
    >> Would appreciate some informed assitance.
    >> Many thanks.

    >Firewall? share's set up on both computers?

    I'm not the original poster of this question but thank you. You had
    the logical solution to my problem and now the kids are happy campers
    that their computer is up on the network again. It also means I
    haven't had to dismantle the pc and modems and drag them along to the
    tech again.

    Thank you!

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
    Nelly, Jul 11, 2005