    router let me do this? How can it be done and how easy is it to do?

    Thanks

    andy
    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keSBi?=, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Many routers have the capability to restrict/block Internet access based
    upon IP or MAC address. If your router does not have this capability, you
    can statically configure the machines with compatible, nonconflicting IPs
    but no default gateway. A machine with no default gateway or an incorrect
    gateway can share files but not access the Internet.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "andy b" <andy > wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I've spent some time searching for an answer but can't find what I'm

    looking
    > for, so I hope someone can help.
    >
    > I'd like to set up a wireless home network with the "family" desktop in

    the
    > lounge that has internet access but also put basic computers in three

    other
    > rooms that can share files with the family PC but cannot access the

    internet.

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 20, 2005

  3. Thanks Doug. I've got a D-Link DSL-904 router and managed to filter by IP
    address but would really like to do it by MAC address - doesn't look like
    this is possible though.

    thanks again

    andy

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keSBi?=, Jul 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YW5keSBi?=

    Mike Fields Guest

    "andy b" <andy > wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I've spent some time searching for an answer but can't find what I'm

    looking
    > for, so I hope someone can help.
    >
    > I'd like to set up a wireless home network with the "family" desktop in

    the
    > lounge that has internet access but also put basic computers in three

    other
    > rooms that can share files with the family PC but cannot access the

    internet.

    > I don't want to buy more software to perform such a task, can XP or my
    > router let me do this? How can it be done and how easy is it to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > andy

    I do this at home also -- many routers allow you to block machines by IP
    address from going to the outside (SMC7004AWBR for example). Makes
    it a little tricky because you have to set the machines up with a static IP
    address (and the kids can't know how to change the IP address ... ). My
    newer Linksys WRT54GS allows you to block by IP or the MAC address
    which makes life a lot easier (the MAC address is the hardware address of
    the interface while the IP address is like the "Phone Number" if you will -
    for your house for example, the address does not change, but you can
    change your phone number if you want). Blocking by MAC address lets
    you run the normal DHCP (where the machine gets an address automatically)
    but is still blocked because the "Physical Address" does not change and that
    is what the block is on. This still allows them to share files, have a
    common
    printer etc. (some routers such as the SMC7004AWBR have a built in
    centronics type print server so any machine can get to the printer easily
    (without having to have the machine the printer is connected to turned on).
    Most of the routers also have another "handy feature" - you can set them to
    only allow internet access during specific hours (can you say he got up
    after we went to bed and was surfing?)

    Check out several of the routers -- you can go to their website (Linksys,
    SMC, Netgear etc) and download the manuals for the router in pdf
    format. Look through it for the sections on filtering and get some ideas
    what is available and what you want. Often some particular feature
    will jump out as "hey, that is just what I want".

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Hi Mikey

    Thanks for this. I've had to do it by IP address filtering but it would have
    been far easier and more convenient, as you have, to do it by MAC address. I
    have D-Link router which is not so user friendly.

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keSBi?=, Jul 26, 2005