Home Network - Admin privileges

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff G, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    My problm is this: I had a copy of Win XP Pro installed by somebody else
    on my computer a long time ago, and I don't have the admin password.
    That would be my main computer. I have a second computer in another
    room of my house. My main computer has a Netgear MR814 router, and my
    2nd computer has a D-Link wireless receiver. I can connect through the
    router to the internet on my 2nd computer, but my ability to share
    between the machines is almost nonexistent because I don't have admin
    privileges to allow sharing on my main computer. I can only share what
    is one folder deined as the primary user folder.

    And I don't want to have to reinstall Win XP Pro on the main computer
    (the 2nd computer runs Win 98 SE). On my main computer I have at least
    150 apps installed, and I do not want to have to reinstall them all.
    And my CD copy of Win XP Pro will not allow me to UPGRADE my
    installation of Win XP Pro. Its either install, reinstall, or nothing.
    I confirmed this with the vendor I bought it from after the first time
    I tried to upgrade my installation.

    Also, there are a few pieces of software available for resetting a lost
    password, all of which are based on booting into a limited Linux
    environment. I've tried them all, and had no succcess with any of them.
    They all start the procedure as the engineer describes, but hang up
    or get stuck in a loop before they can finish the job.

    Does anybody have any suggstions?

    Thanks for your time.

    Jeff G, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Jeff G

    Guest

    On Jeff G <> wrote:

    |>Also, there are a few pieces of software available for resetting a lost
    |>password, all of which are based on booting into a limited Linux
    |>environment. I've tried them all, and had no succcess with any of them.
    |> They all start the procedure as the engineer describes, but hang up
    |>or get stuck in a loop before they can finish the job.

    Posted earlier:

    Download
    http://download.fluxxnet.com/applications/misc/Hirens.Boot.CD.6/
    Burn the ISO to a CD and boot up with it. (you don't need to patch it)

    I've heard of good success with the password cracker on XP systems
    without SP2. With SP2???

    --
    http://www.gotused.com/42/games/thump

    , Jun 3, 2005

  3. Jeff G

    old jon Guest

    "Jeff G" <> wrote in message

    snipped.

    google for `Protected Storage Passview`. Shows all passwords on sytem.
    (Nirsoft) best wishes..J

    old jon, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Jeff G

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jeff G wrote:

    > My problm is this: I had a copy of Win XP Pro installed by somebody else
    > on my computer a long time ago, and I don't have the admin password.
    > That would be my main computer. I have a second computer in another
    > room of my house. My main computer has a Netgear MR814 router, and my
    > 2nd computer has a D-Link wireless receiver. I can connect through the
    > router to the internet on my 2nd computer, but my ability to share
    > between the machines is almost nonexistent because I don't have admin
    > privileges to allow sharing on my main computer. I can only share what
    > is one folder deined as the primary user folder.

    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

    You can burn a copy on CD and boot from it. It allows you to change the PSW
    even on the Admin account.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Jeff G

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:02:15 GMT, old jon wrote:

    >"Jeff G" <> wrote in message

    Well that's helpful snipping the original message.

    >snipped.
    >
    >google for `Protected Storage Passview`. Shows all passwords on sytem.
    >(Nirsoft) best wishes..J

    Really, what version?

    The last time I needed that app (v1.62) was to recover username /
    password autocomplete strings for info stored on website logins.

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
    Description
    Protected Storage PassView is a small utility that reveals the passwords
    stored on your computer by Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and MSN
    Explorer. (for the current logged on user only)

    It doesn't recover passwords for user accounts.

    Me

    why?, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Jeff G

    old jon Guest

    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:02:15 GMT, old jon wrote:
    >

    >>"Jeff G" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > Well that's helpful snipping the original message.
    >
    >>snipped.

    Sorry your not able to read the other posts to pick up the thread. I was
    responding to the OP. Sorry again your right about PSP, left my brain in bed
    when I got up this morning. There you are then. I bet he can do it in Linux
    tho`.

    old jon, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Jeff G

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Oh what the hell use this http://www.seedsv.com/downloads/erd.iso

    pcbutts1, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    SP1. I need to recover the admin password or otherwise change it to
    restore privileges for filesharing to my other computer.

    Jeff G, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Jeff G

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:59:26 -0400, Jeff G wrote:

    >SP1. I need to recover the admin password or otherwise change it to
    >restore privileges for filesharing to my other computer.

    So you already said. See the Penntwise, Duane etc replies.

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:02:15 GMT, old jon wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Jeff G" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Well that's helpful snipping the original message.
    >>

    >>>snipped.
    >>>
    >>>google for `Protected Storage Passview`. Shows all passwords on sytem.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 4, 2005