home drive / folder permissions

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Denis Cooper, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Denis Cooper

    Denis Cooper Guest

    Hi.

    I'm trying to figure out how to set up the following...i want to create a
    standard profile, which will automatically create a users home drive and
    profile path, but then only have that user and no one else permssisions on
    to their profile and home drive.

    I can't figure out what permisions i need to set on the home and profile
    folders.

    In AD users and computers i have setup the profile path and home path as
    follows:

    \\server\profiles$\%username%
    \\server\home$\%username%

    This creates the folders with the users having full permisiosns, but they
    are also inheriting the parent folders permissions.

    I can't seem to figure out a way to allow the administrator to create the
    folder without the permsisions then being inherrited.

    I don't want to have to remove / add permisisions mannauly once the user
    folder is created.

    Thanks.
    Denis
    Denis Cooper, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Denis Cooper

    MyHertz Guest

    --
    MCP, A+

    "Denis Cooper" wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how to set up the following...i want to create a
    > standard profile, which will automatically create a users home drive and
    > profile path, but then only have that user and no one else permssisions on
    > to their profile and home drive.
    >
    > I can't figure out what permisions i need to set on the home and profile
    > folders.
    >
    > In AD users and computers i have setup the profile path and home path as
    > follows:
    >
    > \\server\profiles$\%username%
    > \\server\home$\%username%
    >
    > This creates the folders with the users having full permisiosns, but they
    > are also inheriting the parent folders permissions.
    >
    > I can't seem to figure out a way to allow the administrator to create the
    > folder without the permsisions then being inherrited.
    >
    > I don't want to have to remove / add permisisions mannauly once the user
    > folder is created.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Denis

    Denis,

    Create a user named "XYZ" using your profile paths and home paths. After
    doing so, set the desired permissions.

    Now for new users, copy/paste "XYZ" account and rename. :)
    MyHertz, Jul 11, 2006