Home Directory Question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. I know this is the wrong group to post this in but I tried over at the Active
    Directory section and no one could come up with anything good.

    I have a user that logs into a Windows 2003 SP1 AD server and recieves among
    other items a home folder setting. When she opens up Word, or Excel (etc) she
    gets an "Access Denied" error and it kicks her back to the next level folder.

    Example
    suppost to be here \\denver\users\username

    but ends up here \\denver\users

    she can find her folder and do what she needs to manually but it never
    allows her to connect to her folder correctly. This is the only account that
    has this error.

    I have verified DNS as well as Security rights to the folder.

    Anyone have any better idea of what might be causing this?

    Thanks for the help.

    Talyn

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=, Mar 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    LRM Guest

    "Talyn" <> wrote in message
    >I know this is the wrong group to post this in but I tried over at the
    >Active
    > Directory section and no one could come up with anything good.
    >
    > I have a user that logs into a Windows 2003 SP1 AD server and recieves
    > among
    > other items a home folder setting. When she opens up Word, or Excel (etc)
    > she
    > gets an "Access Denied" error and it kicks her back to the next level
    > folder.
    >
    > Example
    > suppost to be here \\denver\users\username
    >
    > but ends up here \\denver\users
    >
    > she can find her folder and do what she needs to manually but it never
    > allows her to connect to her folder correctly. This is the only account
    > that
    > has this error.
    >
    > I have verified DNS as well as Security rights to the folder.
    >
    > Anyone have any better idea of what might be causing this?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Talyn

    I'm not clear. The user has logged onto her computer and she is given a
    "Home" folder which is set up in her ADS profile, under properties, profile
    tab of the user account. She is trying to open a file that is either a .doc
    of .xls inside the home folder? Or is does she have Word open and tries to
    navigate to a file in the folder?
    In any case double check the child objects have inherited the permissions
    from the right folder.
    Or is this user logging into a terminal server with "home" folder
    redirection? In which case you need to provide more information.

    LRM, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Sorry about that. Your first option was correct. She is trying to open a .doc
    or .xls file within her home directory. As soon as she clicks open it kicks
    the error "Access Denied" out. It also moves her to the parent folder which
    she just finds her folder name (home folder) and is able to work like normal.

    Added info I didn't give before. Her computer doesn't provide any event
    related to this nor does the Domain Controller. Out of the 80+ users I have
    she is the only one to experiense this.

    One more thing. Even though her profile has the correct mapping done for her
    if she were to navigate to her home folder via Windows Explorer she still
    gets either the access denied or it just maps the \\denver\users folder
    instead of the \\denver\users\username folder.

    Thanks

    Talyn

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    LRM Guest

    "Talyn" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry about that. Your first option was correct. She is trying to open a
    > .doc
    > or .xls file within her home directory. As soon as she clicks open it
    > kicks
    > the error "Access Denied" out. It also moves her to the parent folder
    > which
    > she just finds her folder name (home folder) and is able to work like
    > normal.
    >
    > Added info I didn't give before. Her computer doesn't provide any event
    > related to this nor does the Domain Controller. Out of the 80+ users I
    > have
    > she is the only one to experiense this.
    >
    > One more thing. Even though her profile has the correct mapping done for
    > her
    > if she were to navigate to her home folder via Windows Explorer she still
    > gets either the access denied or it just maps the \\denver\users folder
    > instead of the \\denver\users\username folder.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Talyn
    >
    > "LRM" wrote:
    >
    >> "Talyn" <> wrote in message
    >> >I know this is the wrong group to post this in but I tried over at the
    >> >Active
    >> > Directory section and no one could come up with anything good.
    >> >
    >> > I have a user that logs into a Windows 2003 SP1 AD server and recieves
    >> > among
    >> > other items a home folder setting. When she opens up Word, or Excel
    >> > (etc)
    >> > she
    >> > gets an "Access Denied" error and it kicks her back to the next level
    >> > folder.
    >> >
    >> > Example
    >> > suppost to be here \\denver\users\username
    >> >
    >> > but ends up here \\denver\users
    >> >
    >> > she can find her folder and do what she needs to manually but it never
    >> > allows her to connect to her folder correctly. This is the only
    >> > account
    >> > that
    >> > has this error.
    >> >
    >> > I have verified DNS as well as Security rights to the folder.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have any better idea of what might be causing this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the help.
    >> >
    >> > Talyn

    >> I'm not clear. The user has logged onto her computer and she is given a
    >> "Home" folder which is set up in her ADS profile, under properties,
    >> profile
    >> tab of the user account. She is trying to open a file that is either a
    >> .doc
    >> of .xls inside the home folder? Or is does she have Word open and tries
    >> navigate to a file in the folder?
    >> In any case double check the child objects have inherited the permissions
    >> from the right folder.
    >> Or is this user logging into a terminal server with "home" folder
    >> redirection? In which case you need to provide more information.

    Is the home directory a shared folder? Also check the file permissions. If
    they look correct, and you are still getting an error, remove all
    permissions and re-add. If that doesn't work, create a new home folder and
    move her files to it, and create the appropriate permissions and see if that
    does it. Also make sure there are no deny permissions set for a group she
    might be a member of for that directory.

    LRM, Mar 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    James Guest

    please don't bottom post

    James, Mar 8, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    Bigus Dickus Guest

    > please don't bottom post

    What? Or you're one of them bottom feeders!

    Sorry, I gotta disagree with you there. It's much easier to follow a
    conversation like this:

    > > > 2

    > > 3

    > 4

    5

    versus, like this:

    5

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    --If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex?

    Bigus Dickus, Mar 9, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    LRM Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > please don't bottom post

    James you are ever the helpful soul.

    LRM, Mar 9, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    kpg Guest

    Bigus Dickus <> said something like

    >> please don't bottom post
    >>

    > What? Or you're one of them bottom feeders!
    >
    > Sorry, I gotta disagree with you there. It's much easier to follow a
    > conversation like this:

    >> > 3

    >> 4

    > 5
    >
    > versus, like this:
    >
    > 5
    >> 4
    >> > 3

    I didn't follow that.

    kpg, Mar 9, 2006
  9. "kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
    > Bigus Dickus <> said something like
    >
    >>> please don't bottom post
    >>>

    >> What? Or you're one of them bottom feeders!
    >>
    >> Sorry, I gotta disagree with you there. It's much easier to follow a
    >> conversation like this:

    >>> 4

    >> 5
    >>
    >> versus, like this:
    >>
    >> 5
    >>> 4

    > I didn't follow that.

    Does this make it easier?

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    --Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent!

    Bigus Di©kus, Mar 9, 2006
  10. LRM,
    Thanks for the info yesterday. None of it worked unfortunately. I am at this
    point believing that the SID has something to do with this issue since it is
    only occuring on a single users profile and it seems to follow her around
    from XP machine to XP machine. Funny thing is she can log into Citrix and
    everything works just fine.

    Thanks

    Talyn

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=, Mar 9, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    LRM Guest

    Citrix! Well, interesting. Did you try deleting her roaming profile and
    recreating it?
    Could be SID related as well.

    LRM, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Well I don't have her on a roaming profile at this point. So I am going to
    run with the idea that SIDs is directly involved. I will probably delete her
    profile on the local machine to take care of the issue you are leading into
    in you last post.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Talyn

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=, Mar 9, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    kpg Guest

    LRM <> said something like

    > Could be SID related as well.

    What does Sudden Infant Death Syndrone have to do with
    roaming profiles?

    What's that...Security Identifer, oh...Never mind.

    kpg, Mar 9, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 9, 2006 at 2:45pm "Talyn" blathered:

    > Well I don't have her on a roaming profile at this point. So I am going
    > to run with the idea that SIDs is directly involved. I will probably
    > delete her profile on the local machine to take care of the issue you
    > are leading into in you last post.

    Try telling her to sleep on her back. That's supposed to prevent SIDS.

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    I may be an alcoholic, but at least I ain't no quitter.

    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    James Guest

    with the advent of modern news groups readers its easy enough to click on
    the first post, then you can see the post below it, and you know its a reply
    because it shows intented. So you click on it, and boom, theres the next
    post, it flows nicely. Then some dumbass bottom posts and you have to
    scroll through everything....MOST annoying
    get with the times
    bottom posting is a thing of the past

    James, Mar 9, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 9, 2006 at 4:18pm "James" blathered:

    > with the advent of modern news groups readers its easy enough to click
    > on the first post, then you can see the post below it, and you know its
    > a reply because it shows intented. So you click on it, and boom, theres
    > the next post, it flows nicely. Then some dumbass bottom posts and you
    > have to scroll through everything....MOST annoying
    > get with the times
    > bottom posting is a thing of the past

    A *good* newsreader has tools for such a thing.

    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of James:

    > get with the times
    > bottom posting is a thing of the past

    Hardly.

    If you are posting in a newsgroup you are expected to follow the etiquette
    and conventions of that newsgroup. There are certain groups that are 100%
    windows and OE that use almost exclusively top posting, but most don't and
    will correct you if you do it.

    A] Top-posting.

    Q] What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Mar 9, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    James Guest

    A] Bottom-posting.

    Q] What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

    Perhaps bottom posting would make sense if you open the last post first and
    read from the bottom up, but who does that???

    Please, please....don't bottom post

    James, Mar 9, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Please, please....don't bottom post

    You will never convince this crowd.

    Many a day wasted trying to tell these people they are doing it wrong and it
    was all for naught.

    Jtyc, Mar 9, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

    JaR Guest

    the plaintive wail of James:

    > Perhaps bottom posting would make sense if you open the last post
    > first and read from the bottom up, but who does that???

    What the...

    Those words taken individually seem to have meaning, but strung together
    like that they just don't make any sense.

    Kinda like reading a sentence typed by another local fsckwit that calls
    itself gtight or some such.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110