    what websites I have visted on my home computer or what emails I have
    sent out for other work?

    Thanks

    Kaputnik, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Kaputnik

    Chuck G. Guest

    "Kaputnik" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Here is my situation. I do business consulting for a company that
    > sent me a router and laptop to get on their network and use when doing
    > their work. I already have a home computer I do other work on. So,
    > what they told me to do is hook my modem into the router they sent me
    > and then to my home computer and the computer they gave me. So I did
    > that.
    >
    > My questions is, can they using their network and router, find out
    > what websites I have visted on my home computer. Or find out what
    > other work I am doing on my home computer? Does their router record
    > what websites I have visted on my home computer or what emails I have
    > sent out for other work?
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't think that this is any sinister plot. It sounds like they sent you
    a basic router to split your personal internet connection between more than
    one computer (i.e. your personal computer and their laptop) at the same
    time. You'll then use their laptop/software to establish a VPN connection
    via your personal internet connection into their end network. That's what I
    do with my work laptop. Without doing extra configuring, I don't believe
    that your personal computer and their laptop will see each other behind the
    router (you can hook everything up and check this out for yourself).

    - Chuck

    Chuck G., Aug 24, 2003

  3. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    > I don't think that this is any sinister plot. It sounds like they sent you
    > a basic router to split your personal internet connection between more than
    > one computer (i.e. your personal computer and their laptop) at the same
    > time. You'll then use their laptop/software to establish a VPN connection
    > via your personal internet connection into their end network. That's what I
    > do with my work laptop. Without doing extra configuring, I don't believe
    > that your personal computer and their laptop will see each other behind the
    > router (you can hook everything up and check this out for yourself).
    >
    > - Chuck

    Chuck, thanks, I don't think there is a sinister plot either. I just
    want to know if they have any way of knowing what my surfing records
    are on my home computer. You know, what if I visit sites on my home
    computer that they don't deem acceptable? Or if I am doing research
    for another client? Can they find this out? Can their router send my
    surfing records to their laptop and then back to their network? By no
    means am I doing anything sinister either, I just value my privacy.

    Thanks

    Kaputnik, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Kaputnik

    Chuck G. Guest

    "Kaputnik" <> wrote in message

    > Chuck, thanks, I don't think there is a sinister plot either. I just
    > want to know if they have any way of knowing what my surfing records
    > are on my home computer. You know, what if I visit sites on my home
    > computer that they don't deem acceptable? Or if I am doing research
    > for another client? Can they find this out? Can their router send my
    > surfing records to their laptop and then back to their network? By no
    > means am I doing anything sinister either, I just value my privacy.
    >
    > Thanks

    Let me first say that I'm definitely no expert here. Is there any possible
    way for the laptop/router provider to find out what you do on your personal
    system -- I wouldn't say that anything is 100% impossible, but I don't think
    that this is very likely. If anything is going to monitor you, I don't
    believe that it would be the router. If anything, it would probably be the
    laptop running some kind of software to read files from your personal
    computer or log all network activity behind the router and ship it back to
    the laptop/router provider. If you don't configure the two computers to see
    each other on the network behind the router (or if you actively block those
    communications), I don't think that there would be an issue with file
    reading. I'd guess that network activity monitoring would still be
    possible.

    I understand your concern about privacy as I value mine also. While I can't
    say with 100% certainty that my employer doesn't somehow monitor my private
    computer, my gut feeling is that I don't have a problem. I only use one of
    my computers at a time and I only have the laptop plugged into my router
    when I'm using it (for no reason other than that's how I use my setup).
    Some ideas that I can think of to possibly help prevent monitoring:

    1) Buy and use your own router. You can get basic wired routers pretty
    cheap ($20) after rebates. This would eliminate the possibility of their
    router doing any monitoring.
    2) Don't use your personal computer and laptop at the same time.
    3) Disconnect the laptop from the router when you're using your personal
    computer. This would prevent the laptop from transferring files to/from
    your personal computer in real-time or monitoring your network traffic.
    4) Disconnect your personal computer from the router when you're using the
    laptop.
    5) Install a firewall on your personal computer and block all
    communications to/from the laptop. This should prevent any file transfers
    between your personal computer and the laptop. However, network traffic
    monitoring behind the router might still be possible.

    Like I said, these are just my random non-expert thoughts for you to
    consider (and there are probably better ideas than mine). Since that's the
    extent of my knowledge (or lack there of), you're on your own. Good Luck.

    - Chuck

    Chuck G., Aug 24, 2003
  5. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    "Chuck G." <nospam@nospam> wrote in message news:<SI72b.245238$o%2.110646@sccrnsc02>...
> [...]

    > 2) Don't use your personal computer and laptop at the same time.
    > 3) Disconnect the laptop from the router when you're using your personal
    > computer. This would prevent the laptop from transferring files to/from
    > your personal computer in real-time or monitoring your network traffic.
    > 4) Disconnect your personal computer from the router when you're using the
    > laptop.
    > 5) Install a firewall on your personal computer and block all
    > communications to/from the laptop. This should prevent any file transfers
    > between your personal computer and the laptop. However, network traffic
    > monitoring behind the router might still be possible.
    >
    > Like I said, these are just my random non-expert thoughts for you to
    > consider (and there are probably better ideas than mine). Since that's the
    > extent of my knowledge (or lack there of), you're on your own. Good Luck.

    Thanks Chuck. I have a firewall on my home computer. They are on at
    the same time during the day, but if I am using my home computer, it
    is going through their network, is it?

    Kaputnik, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    > No. Functionally, your personal computer is still connected to the internet
    > the same as always (physical difference is that you now have a router
    > sharing your personal internet connection between multiple computers). Both
    > your personal computer and their laptop will be connecting to the internet
    > via your personal internet connection. When using their laptop, you'll do a
    > further step of setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to a
    > server on their network (via your personal internet connection). There will
    > be specific software on the laptop to allow this connection to be made (they
    > will have to set you up with a user login and password for their network).
    > This will give the laptop access to their intranet and other services just
    > like if you went to their office and plugged in directly to their network.
    >
    > - Chuck

    Okay, so it would be extremely difficult to get the surfing records of
    my home computer off their router?? I do all that VPN stuff you
    talked about.

    Kaputnik, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Kaputnik

    Chuck G. Guest

    "Kaputnik" <> wrote in message

    > Okay, so it would be extremely difficult to get the surfing records of
    > my home computer off their router?? I do all that VPN stuff you
    > talked about.

    Yes.

    - Chuck

    Chuck G., Aug 25, 2003