Home built PC Random Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gummy, May 30, 2005.

  1. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    Hi All,

    I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a home-built machine. The motherboard
    is an Asus P4S533 with 512Megs of RAM. I've never had any problems with the
    machine (which is 4 years old) until recently...

    Every so often, and more often recently, Windows just shuts down as though
    someone pulled the plug out of the wall. There is no warning or error, it
    just shuts completely off. When I turn it back on, it boots into Windows as
    though nothing happened. There are no need-to-recover messages or anything.
    I leave the machine on continuously and it will stay on for days without a
    problem.

    The shutdown started to appear recently when I was using Premiere - I
    thought it was old hardware driver conflicts with a non-Win XP card which
    has been removed from the machine.

    Now I can reproduce it when running the CheckIt Diagnosis application that
    came with Norton Utilities 2005. When I run the Memory Test it goes OK for a
    while, but then will do the someone-pulled-the-plug-out-of-the-wall shutdown
    before ever completing the test.

    Here's what I've found so far:

    - Windows is not doing any updates and rebooting without me knowing.

    - I downloaded MemTest-86 v3.2 (from http://www.memtest86.com) to check the
    RAM and my computer did the shutdown thing when it was being checked. I then
    removed that chip (512 Megs) and put a different one, 256Megs) and that too
    shutdown my machine. This program boots into its own OS or something - it
    never even gets to Windows.

    - When booting using Norton Ghost 2000 (using PC-DOS), it too never gets to
    Windows but has the same shutdown problem.

    - I've run the ASUS Probe software and all the temps and other stats on my
    motherboard are fine.

    I'm really stumped. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Gummy

    Gummy, May 30, 2005

  2. Gummy

    SgtMinor Guest

    Gummy wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >

    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running on a home-built machine. The motherboard
    > is an Asus P4S533 with 512Megs of RAM. I've never had any problems with the
    > machine (which is 4 years old) until recently...
    >

    > Every so often, and more often recently, Windows just shuts down as though
    > someone pulled the plug out of the wall. There is no warning or error, it
    > just shuts completely off. When I turn it back on, it boots into Windows as
    > though nothing happened. There are no need-to-recover messages or anything.
    > I leave the machine on continuously and it will stay on for days without a
    > problem.
    >

    > The shutdown started to appear recently when I was using Premiere - I
    > thought it was old hardware driver conflicts with a non-Win XP card which
    > has been removed from the machine.
    >

    > Now I can reproduce it when running the CheckIt Diagnosis application that
    > came with Norton Utilities 2005. When I run the Memory Test it goes OK for a
    > while, but then will do the someone-pulled-the-plug-out-of-the-wall shutdown
    > before ever completing the test.
    >

    > Here's what I've found so far:
    >
    > - Windows is not doing any updates and rebooting without me knowing.
    >
    > - I downloaded MemTest-86 v3.2 (from http://www.memtest86.com) to check the
    > RAM and my computer did the shutdown thing when it was being checked. I then
    > removed that chip (512 Megs) and put a different one, 256Megs) and that too
    > shutdown my machine. This program boots into its own OS or something - it
    > never even gets to Windows.
    >
    > - When booting using Norton Ghost 2000 (using PC-DOS), it too never gets to
    > Windows but has the same shutdown problem.
    >
    > - I've run the ASUS Probe software and all the temps and other stats on my
    > motherboard are fine.
    >

    > I'm really stumped. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks for the help.
    >

    > -Gummy

    Did Asus Probe come with this mobo, and if so, what temperature readings
    are you observing? It sounds like overheating. Take the cover off and
    blow the dust out. Make sure all case openings - especially around the
    power supply - are clean. Do not use a vacuum or you can fry the
    innards with static electricity.

    SgtMinor, May 30, 2005

  3. Gummy

    frankg Guest

    check the fans - may be overheating
    and
    check the power supply - all t3 rails for correct voltage - may be failing

    frankg, May 30, 2005
  4. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    frankg and SgtMinor,

    Thanks for the advice.

    The fans are blowing the air just fine and the ASUS probe is an application
    that came with the motherboard. It shows that the tempuratures are within
    normal limits and that the fans have are moving at the right RPMs (plus I
    can see them).

    What is a t3 rail and how do I check that the voltage is correct?

    Thanks again.

    p.s. I guess I made a mistake calling this a random shutdown problem because
    I can now reproduce it. How would a voltage problem be related to software
    causing the machine to shutdown? Does using one of the application force the
    machine to use more power?

    Gummy, May 31, 2005
  5. Gummy

    SgtMinor Guest

    Gummy wrote:

> [...]

    >>> - Windows is not doing any updates and rebooting without me knowing.
    >>>
    >>> - I downloaded MemTest-86 v3.2 (from http://www.memtest86.com) to check

    >> the
    >>> RAM and my computer did the shutdown thing when it was being checked. I

    >> then
    >>> removed that chip (512 Megs) and put a different one, 256Megs) and that

    >> too
    >>> shutdown my machine. This program boots into its own OS or something -
    >>> it
    >>> never even gets to Windows.
    >>>
    >>> - When booting using Norton Ghost 2000 (using PC-DOS), it too never gets

    >>> Windows but has the same shutdown problem.
    >>>
    >>> - I've run the ASUS Probe software and all the temps and other stats on
    >>> my
    >>> motherboard are fine.
    >>>

    >>> I'm really stumped. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

    Try Shutdown Tracker:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293814

    SgtMinor, May 31, 2005
  6. Gummy

    frankg Guest

    sorry, that should have been "all three rails" Not "all t3 rails"

    you can use a digital voltage meter - see page 1170 of Scott Mueller's
    'Upgrading & Repairing PC 's'

    easiest way is to switch the power supply with a known good one and see if
    the problems diappears.

    failing psu 's are thebiggest cause of random shutdowns

    frankg, May 31, 2005
  7. Gummy wrote:
    > Hi All,

    <snip>
    > - I downloaded MemTest-86 v3.2 (from http://www.memtest86.com) to check the
    > RAM and my computer did the shutdown thing when it was being checked. I then
    > removed that chip (512 Megs) and put a different one, 256Megs) and that too
    > shutdown my machine. This program boots into its own OS or something - it
    > never even gets to Windows.

    A single 512mb module is all the machine has?

    > - When booting using Norton Ghost 2000 (using PC-DOS), it too never gets to
    > Windows but has the same shutdown problem.

    Care to explain this a bit more?

    > - I've run the ASUS Probe software and all the temps and other stats on my
    > motherboard are fine.

    WOuld you please post the readings?

    > I'm really stumped. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

    I'd say either a PSU problem or something with your memory modules. I'm
    inclined to go for the latter.

    Although it shouldn't cause these symptoms your backup battery might
    need replacing. On an asus board that should be a standard cr2032
    battery.

    Jeroen

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 31, 2005
  8. Gummy

    frankg Guest

    i agree - psu or memory stick

    frankg, May 31, 2005
  9. Gummy

    lilricky Guest

    Here is a suggestion, turn off reboot on error. Right click on My
    Computer, select Properties, click on the Advanced Tab, under Startup
    and Recovery click the Settings button, then under System failure
    uncheck "Automatically restart". Now try to reproduce the problem. If
    it gives you a blue screen, copy down what the problem is. If it shuts
    down on you again you can rule out a problem with Windows.

    lilricky, Jun 6, 2005
  10. Gummy

    crazyfrengy

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    F***

    Ok, i'm having the same problem with a custom built computer but with a gigabyte mobo. I used a program called speedfan to check voltages and temps. My temps are fine but I noticed something extreme, the -12 V reading is -0.51V
    which is nowhere near. Please someone tell me what I have to do. I am a gamer and I don't like interruptions like the someone-unplugged-the-computer shutdowns. Any help would be nice, and I think this might help the other guy. I think it may be the power supply but I want to find out from someone who knows for sure.

    crazyfrengy, Mar 10, 2008