    assistance you can provide would be appreciated!

    Thanks in advance!
    Dan

    Dan, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Dan

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > Can a Home Alarm System work over VoIP? If so, how? My home's alarm
    > system is monitored by a company that requires phone connection. I've
    > been attempting to come up with a solution, but without success. Any
    > assistance you can provide would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Dan

    Systems that place a phone call can work over VOIP (pretty obvious) but
    other systems that test the phone LINE (wire continuity) will not (also
    obvious because the phone wire is not in use).

    Rick Merrill, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Dan

    Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Can a Home Alarm System work over VoIP? If so, how? My home's alarm
    >> system is monitored by a company that requires phone connection. I've
    >> been attempting to come up with a solution, but without success. Any
    >> assistance you can provide would be appreciated!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >> Dan

    > Systems that place a phone call can work over VOIP (pretty obvious) but
    > other systems that test the phone LINE (wire continuity) will not (also
    > obvious because the phone wire is not in use).

    An alarm system working over VOIP is a very hit and miss thing. The
    combination of the various alarm protocols (4x2, Contact Id, SIA)
    combined with the inherent problems of VOIP(latency, compression) are
    causing many problems for alarm monitoring stations. You will find very
    few monitoring stations that will guaranty alarm devery over VOIP.

    Having said that many of the newer alarm systems from most of the
    manufacturors have TCP/IP addons and the more progresssive monitoring
    stations will be equipped to handle this.

    , Aug 11, 2005
  4. Dan

    Jeremy Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Can a Home Alarm System work over VoIP? If so, how? My home's alarm
    > system is monitored by a company that requires phone connection. I've
    > been attempting to come up with a solution, but without success. Any
    > assistance you can provide would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Dan

    Theoretically it can work, assuming that the power is on, that your
    Internet connection is active, etc.

    Problem is that VoIP circuits do not have the track record of POTS lines
    yet. What if there were a real emergency, such as a fire, and your
    power lines were out? What if your Internet connection was experiencing
    temporary down time?

    The most secure type of phone connection is called "Derived Channel,"
    and is a supervised connection. I do not know if the service is still
    offered, because it involves piggybacking a signal on top of one's phone
    line. The phone company thus knows if the line is cut, and can notify
    the alarm monitoring station of a possible problem.

    Burglars often would cut the phone line before breaking into a home,
    thus making it impossible for the alarm systems to report to the central
    station.

    I know of some alarm manufacturers that offered a cellular backup. The
    alarm would first try to dial out on the POTS line, and would use the
    cell as a backup. Unfortunately, the subscriber had to pay a monthly
    cell bill, and the cell service was virtually never used.

    The best circuits are called McCullough Loops, which are supervised
    24/7. Underwriters Labs certifies these for banks, jewelry stores and
    other critical applications, where there must be assurance that the line
    is working.

    FOR THE MONEY your best bet is to keep the alarm hooked into a regular
    POTS line right now. It may be relatively primitive, but POTS lines
    have the best overall reliability record, over cellular and VoIP. If
    you can accept the higher risk associated with a VoIP connection with
    your alarm company, you might save a few bucks, but how much would it
    cost if you kept a POTS line, dumned down to only the most basic
    service, used only for the alarm? In an emergency, it could also be
    used if your VoIP line went down.

    Jeremy, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Can a Home Alarm System work over VoIP? If so, how? My home's alarm
    >> system is monitored by a company that requires phone connection. I've
    >> been attempting to come up with a solution, but without success. Any
    >> assistance you can provide would be appreciated!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >> Dan

    > Theoretically it can work, assuming that the power is on, that your
    > Internet connection is active, etc.
    >
    > Problem is that VoIP circuits do not have the track record of POTS lines
    > yet. What if there were a real emergency, such as a fire, and your
    > power lines were out? What if your Internet connection was experiencing
    > temporary down time?
    >
    > The most secure type of phone connection is called "Derived Channel,"
    > and is a supervised connection. I do not know if the service is still
    > offered, because it involves piggybacking a signal on top of one's phone
    > line. The phone company thus knows if the line is cut, and can notify
    > the alarm monitoring station of a possible problem.
    >
    > Burglars often would cut the phone line before breaking into a home,
    > thus making it impossible for the alarm systems to report to the central
    > station.
    >
    > I know of some alarm manufacturers that offered a cellular backup. The
    > alarm would first try to dial out on the POTS line, and would use the
    > cell as a backup. Unfortunately, the subscriber had to pay a monthly
    > cell bill, and the cell service was virtually never used.
    >
    > The best circuits are called McCullough Loops, which are supervised
    > 24/7. Underwriters Labs certifies these for banks, jewelry stores and
    > other critical applications, where there must be assurance that the line
    > is working.
    >
    > FOR THE MONEY your best bet is to keep the alarm hooked into a regular
    > POTS line right now. It may be relatively primitive, but POTS lines
    > have the best overall reliability record, over cellular and VoIP. If
    > you can accept the higher risk associated with a VoIP connection with
    > your alarm company, you might save a few bucks, but how much would it
    > cost if you kept a POTS line, dumned down to only the most basic
    > service, used only for the alarm? In an emergency, it could also be
    > used if your VoIP line went down.

    I appreciate your time and full analysis. This is good info. Just
    wanted to also let you know that since my recent addition of fiber to
    the house Verizon has already connected by POTS line to the same
    terminal as my computer, etc. Everything goes through the fiber now.
    That being said, I'm sure some conversion takes place before it's
    converted over to fiber connection. Basically, Verizon took a pair of
    copper wires, ran from the fiber terminal over to the POTS terminal and
    that's how I remain on my "same" phone.

    it just seems odd for me to pay $50/month for a copper phone line that
    actually goes through my fiber line anyway. I may actually contact the
    company that monitor's my alarm system to see if they have any IP type
    system that might work.

    The battery backup system will work for "a while" with the fiber, but
    eventually turns it off so phone over fiber can be used for 911, etc.
    The battery backup unit does have a terminal for a secondary power
    source. I may actually find a way to use a real UPS to provide the
    "long term" backup solution for that unit.

    Again, this is in the future. I'm not converting this over now. Just
    getting plans and knowledge so I can make an informed decision. I
    certainly appreciate the time everyone has put into their responses.
    VERY much good food for thought.

    Take care!
    Dan

    Dan, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Dan

    andrew.zycoo

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Zycoo is a high technology company located in Chengdu Wuhou Hi-Tech innovation center, China.
    We have a outstanding R&D team and engage in R&D of embedded device, especially in the network communication device and consumer electronics. We mainly do the follow business.
    1. VOIP product R&D.
    2. OEM&ODM service.
    3. Customized Service
    Our main products are:
    1) 4/8/16 ports Embedded IP PBX
    2) 4/8/16 ports analog PCI cards
    3) 4/8/16 ports analog PCI-E cards
    4) 4ports GSM IPPBX (New product!)
    5) IP Phone
    Till now, we had been selling our products to above 30 countries and more than tens of customized embedded product to USA and Europe customers.
    Zycoo is willing to adopt flexible ways to establish good partnership with all our customers and friends.
    Contact person: Andrew Li
    Website:
    MSN: lq-andrew hotmail.com
    E-mail: qiang.li zycoo.com