holy huge hatsinks batman

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    TEX Guest

    It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
    kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
    one is definatly not small.

    TEX

    TEX, Jun 1, 2004

  3. TEX wrote:
    > It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
    > kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
    > one is definatly not small.

    It would look good in a machine witha window, with a nice neon glowing
    onto it though :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi TEX,

    > It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" scenario. I hope they are
    > kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
    > one is definitely not small.

    Intel has pushed a whole new motherboard and case design onto the industry
    just to provide enough cooling for their new P4 CPUs. The Prescott P4s are
    lemons and Intel is abandoning the architecture. They are trying to make
    up for it by squeezing successors of the Pentium-M into dual- and
    multi-core designs. The dual core CPUs will almost certainly use less
    power than a single Prescott CPU.

    There is now such a technology gap between Intel and AMD that Dell is
    under some pressure to provide an AMD option, especially Opteron servers.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Jackson Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > TEX wrote:
    > > It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
    > > kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
    > > one is definatly not small.

    > It would look good in a machine witha window, with a nice neon glowing
    > onto it though :)

    It looks like a cheap vacum cleaner. Not something i'd want to show off to
    the world. More a source of embrassment than something to boast about and
    its probably as loud as a jet engine anyway. I dont think that would ever be
    sold to the public. Looks like some inhouse testing gadget.

    Jackson.
    Jackson, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:38:26 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    > news from computex

    So ignoring the troll affect.

    In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
    right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
    fan.

    20dB knocked off. $20 extra cost. Who's $ not menitioned.

    Funny how the technology which caused the noise in the first place is now
    able to be turned to fix the problem it caused.
    Gordon, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Gordon wrote:
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >>news from computex

    > So ignoring the troll affect.
    > In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
    > right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
    > fan.
    > 20dB knocked off. $20 extra cost. Who's $ not menitioned.
    > Funny how the technology which caused the noise in the first place is now
    > able to be turned to fix the problem it caused.

    errr, got a link?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2004
  8. On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:11:04 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:38:26 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
    >> news from computex

    > So ignoring the troll affect.
    >
    > In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
    > right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
    > fan.

    Using bigger fans with slower blade tips is more effective than applying
    noise cancellation after the fact...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jun 3, 2004