Holy Crap...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.

    "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
    2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
    HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
    this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
    downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
    that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
    to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
    penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
    10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
    these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
    result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
    inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
    of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
    on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
    are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
    rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
    No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa.aspx?fhqlu7y2xqb2zb3m
    to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
    Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.: RG38751"

    Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.
    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Peter S Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:Ly_Zb.52478$...
    > Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.
    >
    > "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
    > 2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
    > HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
    > this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
    > downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
    > that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
    > to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
    > penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
    > 10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
    > these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
    > result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
    > inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
    > of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
    > on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
    > are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
    > rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
    > No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa.aspx?fhqlu7y2xqb2zb3m
    > to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
    > Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.:

    RG38751"

    > Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi

    believable.
    > --
    > Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    > Play Hangman
    > Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    Brilliant!

    I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

    Peter S, Feb 22, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Max Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:23:55 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.
    >
    >"Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
    >2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
    >HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
    >this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
    >downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
    >that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
    >to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
    >penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
    >10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
    >these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
    >result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
    >inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
    >of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
    >on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
    >are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
    >rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
    >No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa.aspx?fhqlu7y2xqb2zb3m
    >to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
    >Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.: RG38751"
    >
    >Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.

    It was a joke email, so one of your 'friends' would have sent it to
    your email address, as you can with other jokes :)

    Max, Feb 22, 2004
  4. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Rupert Guest

    > > Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi

    > believable.
    > > --
    > > Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    > > Play Hangman
    > > Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    > Brilliant!
    >
    > I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

    that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
    email!

    Rupert, Feb 22, 2004
  5. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.
    > "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
    > 2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
    > HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
    > this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
    > downloading and transferring of licensed music.

    I think there was a virus / worm that propagated using a line like that, ie
    "we've caught you, just click on the attached file to see the evidence"
    http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Peter S wrote:
    >> Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi
    >> believable.

    > Brilliant!
    > I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

    now if they had used that flaw in IE that shows the incorrect URL, then
    that would have been perfect.

    not that I use IE, but still.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Max wrote:
    >>Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.
    >>Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.

    > It was a joke email, so one of your 'friends' would have sent it to
    > your email address, as you can with other jokes :)

    I know, hence the "heh", and the "semi believable"

    Workmate has since been added to as many "email me company information"
    web links as I can find. :|

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Rupert wrote:
    >>>Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi
    >>>believable.

    >>I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

    > that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
    > email!

    I do... but still.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  9. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >>>I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

    >> that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
    >> email!

    >I do... but still.

    And they are US court orders so you will have to go to the US and
    then go to Jail ;-)

    Mutlley, Feb 23, 2004
  10. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    cowboyz Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    >>> that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't
    >>> delivered by email!

    >> I do... but still.

    > And they are US court orders so you will have to go to the US and
    > then go to Jail ;-)

    probably the safeist place to be over there.

    cowboyz, Feb 23, 2004
  11. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Alex Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:<Ly_Zb.52478$>...
    > Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the shit out of me.
    >
    > "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
    > 2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
    > HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
    > this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
    > downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
    > that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
    > to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
    > penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
    > 10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
    > these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
    > result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
    > inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
    > of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
    > on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
    > are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
    > rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
    > No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa.aspx?fhqlu7y2xqb2zb3m
    > to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
    > Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.: RG38751"
    >
    > Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.

    DUDe me too..I almost wet my pants..

    Alex, Feb 23, 2004