    so happy to see Nikon pull it off that I have tears in my eyes.

    http://nikonwatch.com/

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Noons Guest

    Re: HOLY CRAP! Full size D3 JPG and NEF files! WOW!

    On Sep 26, 8:05 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    > http://nikonwatch.com/

    holy ISO!!!: 25600

    now, that is a LOT!
    Noons, Sep 26, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 26, 6:05 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    > files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed that
    > add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing!

    You're getting all gooey over that?
    Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail (due to the underexposure), and
    not even very sharp to boot. And somewhere Canon smiles.

    Hey, isn't it about time Mark Morgan came back from the jungle? I
    hope a Tiger didn't eat him. This is about the time PW usually chimes
    in with how great it is that Canon has some competition to keep prices
    down for all of us.
    Annika1980, Sep 26, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    > files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed that
    > add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! Looks like Canon is
    > going
    > to have a hard time selling the ridiculously overpriced and performance
    > crippled 1Ds Mk III. Even my totally awesome Mk III is hiding in a corner
    > with its tail between its legs. This is scary stuff coming from Nikon!
    > I'm so happy to see Nikon pull it off that I have tears in my eyes.
    >
    > http://nikonwatch.com/

    Damn, look at that sweet strap! Wow, you must really be in heaven!
    Matt Ion, Sep 26, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:44:12 -0700, Clown prince Annika1980 wrote:

    >> All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG
    >> an NEF files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit
    >> underexposed that add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing!

    > You're getting all gooey over that?
    > Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail (due to the underexposure),
    > and not even very sharp to boot. And somewhere Canon smiles.

    But recognizing another of your anti-Nikon trolls, and one that's
    lamer than most, those are only sheepish smiles.

    > Hey, isn't it about time Mark Morgan came back from the jungle?
    > I hope a Tiger didn't eat him.

    If the Tiger is a quick as his Mk-III, it'll spit out that bitter
    pill before any damage is done. :)

    > This is about the time PW usually chimes in with how great it is that
    > Canon has some competition to keep prices down for all of us.

    Nikon provides competition with a camera that you say produces
    "Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail" pictures that are "not even
    very sharp to boot"? I'll bet that you didn't intend to invalidate
    your troll in the very same message. Oops. Or are you trying to
    say that the expensive Canon DSLRs aren't nearly as good as you've
    made them out to be? :)
    ASAAR, Sep 26, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:44:12 -0700, Clown prince Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >>> All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG
    >>> an NEF files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit
    >>> underexposed that add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing!

    >> You're getting all gooey over that?
    >> Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail (due to the underexposure),
    >> and not even very sharp to boot. And somewhere Canon smiles.

    > But recognizing another of your anti-Nikon trolls, and one that's
    > lamer than most, those are only sheepish smiles.

    Hahahaha, Bret's not the troll in this one!
    Matt Ion, Sep 26, 2007
  7. Matt Ion wrote:

    > Damn, look at that sweet strap! Wow, you must really be in heaven!

    WHAT KNID OF CHATRUM IS THIS?

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Sep 26, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:52:38 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

    >>> You're getting all gooey over that?
    >>> Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail (due to the underexposure),
    >>> and not even very sharp to boot. And somewhere Canon smiles.

    >> But recognizing another of your anti-Nikon trolls, and one that's
    >> lamer than most, those are only sheepish smiles.

    > Hahahaha, Bret's not the troll in this one!

    Sure he is. That's not to say that he isn't responding to another
    obvious pro-Nikon troll, though. At least it's not as bad as the
    days when most of the trolls were from pro-Sigma Foveonistas.
    Whatever happened to G. Preddy and family?
    ASAAR, Sep 26, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    > files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed that
    > add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! ...
    >
    > http://nikonwatch.com/

    The new ViewNX will open the raw files but there is no noise reduction
    control and we don't know if that's being applied. Interestingly, I get
    less noise pushing the 6400 image 2 stops than the 25600 version... I
    guess because it is underexposed (although the histograms are spot on
    for not blowing the highlights). Pulling the middle tones up with a
    curve looks even better. ISO1600 with a curves lift is indeed
    breathtaking: http://edgehill.net/temp/d3/pg1pc3

    DCRAW attempts to open the NEFs but it comes out mostly black... there
    is a warning about being unable to read the WB settings too, I hope
    that's part of the error.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Sep 26, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >
    >> All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    >> files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed
    >> that
    >> add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! ...
    >>
    >> http://nikonwatch.com/

    > The new ViewNX will open the raw files but there is no noise reduction
    > control and we don't know if that's being applied. Interestingly, I get
    > less noise pushing the 6400 image 2 stops than the 25600 version... I
    > guess because it is underexposed (although the histograms are spot on for
    > not blowing the highlights). Pulling the middle tones up with a curve
    > looks even better. ISO1600 with a curves lift is indeed breathtaking:
    > http://edgehill.net/temp/d3/pg1pc3
    >
    > DCRAW attempts to open the NEFs but it comes out mostly black... there is
    > a warning about being unable to read the WB settings too, I hope that's
    > part of the error.
    >

    > --
    > Paul Furman Photography
    > http://edgehill.net
    > Bay Natives Nursery
    > http://www.baynatives.com

    Am I missing something, in trying to download the NEF files, they get saved
    as thumbnail sized TIF files.
    Rudy Benner, Sep 26, 2007
  11. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    > files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed

    that
    > add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! Looks like Canon is

    going
    > to have a hard time selling the ridiculously overpriced and performance
    > crippled 1Ds Mk III. Even my totally awesome Mk III is hiding in a corner
    > with its tail between its legs. This is scary stuff coming from Nikon!

    I'm
    > so happy to see Nikon pull it off that I have tears in my eyes.
    >
    > http://nikonwatch.com/

    nothing special. An old Canon 20D can do better...
    Yvon Travailler, Sep 26, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:

    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>>All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    >>>files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed
    >>>that
    >>>add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! ...
    >>>
    >>>http://nikonwatch.com/

    >>The new ViewNX will open the raw files but there is no noise reduction
    >>control and we don't know if that's being applied. Interestingly, I get
    >>less noise pushing the 6400 image 2 stops than the 25600 version... I
    >>guess because it is underexposed (although the histograms are spot on for
    >>not blowing the highlights). Pulling the middle tones up with a curve
    >>looks even better. ISO1600 with a curves lift is indeed breathtaking:
    >>http://edgehill.net/temp/d3/pg1pc3
    >>
    >>DCRAW attempts to open the NEFs but it comes out mostly black... there is
    >>a warning about being unable to read the WB settings too, I hope that's
    >>part of the error.

    > Am I missing something, in trying to download the NEF files, they get saved
    > as thumbnail sized TIF files.

    Are they 10MB? Maybe your browser/OS is renaming them and opening the
    embedded thumbnail. Try this link:
    http://www.nikonwatch.com/images/20070924_8288_D36400.NEF
    right-click to save file rather than opening...

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Sep 26, 2007
  13. On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:57:14 -0500, Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:

    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >
    >> Damn, look at that sweet strap! Wow, you must really be in heaven!

    > WHAT KNID OF CHATRUM IS THIS?

    I don't know - What asylum are you posting from?
    --
    Neil
    Carl Neil Ellwood, Sep 26, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:49:38 -0400, Yvon Travailler, who shows here
    that she's not just an anti-Pentax nitwit, wrote:

    >> I'm so happy to see Nikon pull it off that I have tears in my eyes.
    >>
    >> http://nikonwatch.com/

    > nothing special. An old Canon 20D can do better...

    And any old troll can do better than you, too . . .
    ASAAR, Sep 26, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    > Rudy Benner wrote:
    >
    >> "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message

    >>>The new ViewNX will open the raw files but there is no noise reduction
    >>>control and we don't know if that's being applied. Interestingly, I get
    >>>less noise pushing the 6400 image 2 stops than the 25600 version... I
    >>>guess because it is underexposed (although the histograms are spot on for
    >>>not blowing the highlights). Pulling the middle tones up with a curve
    >>>looks even better. ISO1600 with a curves lift is indeed breathtaking:
    >>>http://edgehill.net/temp/d3/pg1pc3
    >>>
    >>>DCRAW attempts to open the NEFs but it comes out mostly black... there is
    >>>a warning about being unable to read the WB settings too, I hope that's
    >>>part of the error.

    >> Am I missing something, in trying to download the NEF files, they get
    >> saved as thumbnail sized TIF files.

    > Are they 10MB? Maybe your browser/OS is renaming them and opening the
    > embedded thumbnail. Try this link:
    > http://www.nikonwatch.com/images/20070924_8288_D36400.NEF
    > right-click to save file rather than opening...
    >
    > --
    > Paul Furman Photography
    > http://edgehill.net
    > Bay Natives Nursery
    > http://www.baynatives.com

    Yes, tried that and get the same result. Tried renaming the tif files and
    they look the right size but don't open in ACR 4.2 . Just getting a
    thumbnail sized tiff

    color me stumped.
    Rudy Benner, Sep 26, 2007
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:

    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rudy Benner wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Paul Furman" <> wrote in message

    >>>Am I missing something, in trying to download the NEF files, they get
    >>>saved as thumbnail sized TIF files.

    >>Are they 10MB? Maybe your browser/OS is renaming them and opening the
    >>embedded thumbnail. Try this link:
    >>http://www.nikonwatch.com/images/20070924_8288_D36400.NEF
    >>right-click to save file rather than opening...

    > Yes, tried that and get the same result. Tried renaming the tif files and
    > they look the right size but don't open in ACR 4.2 . Just getting a
    > thumbnail sized tiff
    >
    > color me stumped.

    You won't be able to open them in anything but the latest Nikon ViewNX
    which is a free download... sort of a lite version of Capture, I guess.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Sep 26, 2007
  17. Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >DCRAW attempts to open the NEFs but it comes out mostly
    >black... there is a warning about being unable to read
    >the WB settings too, I hope that's part of the error.

    What dcraw does... is basically nothing useful. :)

    There is a note in the source code which throws light on
    the results:

    /* We'll try to decode anything from Canon or Nikon. */

    As opposed to other raw formats, where the code looks
    for specific markers to verify that it is a known
    format, for both Nikon and Canon there is a "generic"
    format which will be used if the file indicates that
    manufacturer. Then, as other indicators are found,
    camera specific parameters are adjusted.

    I don't know if the generic format is going to work with
    the D3 or not, but obviously without at least some
    parameter adjustment it does not find valid data, and
    instead kicks out the corrupt data error message.

    ... Corrupt data near ...

    That particular error message is from a function
    "nikon_compressed_load_raw()", and is part of a loop
    that looks at every row. Since it only prints out
    once, I doubt that it means anything other than that
    the data is purely garbage as far as that function
    can tell.

    Given that the EXIF data says the files are 12 bit
    compressed, and the sizes match up relatively well
    with files produced by a D2X, there probably are no
    major differences between the old format and the new
    one, and possibly something as simple as adjusing the
    size parameters to be correct could be all it will
    take to tweek dcraw. ... then again it might be a lot
    worse! Whatever, now that NEF files are available I'm
    sure it won't be long before both dcraw initially and
    then very quickly UFRAW too, will be able to handle
    D3 files.

    Incidentally, dcraw can extract the JPEG thumbnail image
    from the NEF file. It's a roughly 1.4Mb sized image,
    compared to 4-6Mb for the processed JPEG images produced
    by the camera.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Sep 26, 2007
  18. Paul Furman wrote:

    >> All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an
    >> NEF files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit
    >> underexposed that add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! ...
    >> http://nikonwatch.com/

    > The new ViewNX will open the raw files but there is no noise reduction
    > control and we don't know if that's being applied. Interestingly, I
    > get less noise pushing the 6400 image 2 stops than the 25600
    > version... I guess because it is underexposed (although the
    > histograms are spot on for not blowing the highlights). Pulling the
    > middle tones up with a curve looks even better. ISO1600 with a curves
    > lift is indeed breathtaking: http://edgehill.net/temp/d3/pg1pc3

    It's still very impressive to see this level of performance. Hell, I'm
    extremely happy with the ISO 3200 the Mk III gives me. Anything above ISO
    3200 on the D3 will be considered a bonus. I can't wait to get my hands on
    the old D3.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2007
  19. Re: HOLY CRAP! Full size D3 JPG and NEF files! WOW!

    Annika1980 wrote:

    >> All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an
    >> NEF files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit
    >> underexposed that add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing!

    > You're getting all gooey over that?
    > Underexposed, noisy, no shadow detail (due to the underexposure), and
    > not even very sharp to boot. And somewhere Canon smiles.

    LOL! Absolutely!

    > Hey, isn't it about time Mark Morgan came back from the jungle? I
    > hope a Tiger didn't eat him. This is about the time PW usually chimes
    > in with how great it is that Canon has some competition to keep prices
    > down for all of us.

    I'm more worried about Mark running across some of them rowdy gang members
    like he had in the past. He's a goner if he locks horns with members of
    MSG-14.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Somebody Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > All I have to say is WOW! Here's an assortment of full size JPG an NEF
    > files from the deliciously new D3. Though they are a bit underexposed
    > that
    > add a bit of noise they are still beyond amazing! Looks like Canon is
    > going
    > to have a hard time selling the ridiculously overpriced and performance
    > crippled 1Ds Mk III. Even my totally awesome Mk III is hiding in a corner
    > with its tail between its legs. This is scary stuff coming from Nikon!
    > I'm so happy to see Nikon pull it off that I have tears in my eyes.
    >
    > http://nikonwatch.com/
    >

    > Rita

    No more impressive than most other dSLR cameras. The only difference is this
    was posted by someone with their heads so far up Nikon's ass that they
    wouldn't know good from bad.

    Somebody!
    Somebody, Sep 26, 2007