    a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    k Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >
    > "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    > a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    > ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    transfer speed, mixed up there?
    k, Mar 29, 2006

  3. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:57:03 +1200, k wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >>
    >> "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    >> a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    >> ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."

    > Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    > transfer speed, mixed up there?

    I wouldn't think so.

    Transmission of data is usually measured in bits rather than bytes, is it
    not?

    And with increasing use of network storage, my guess is that's where they
    see their product most effectively used, at least initially.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 29, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MarkH Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote in

    > http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >
    > "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    > a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    > ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."

    Wow! That's incredibly slow! That's like a 2.4x DVD writing speed I
    think. It would take about 33 hours to write 300GB.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    David Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:57:03 +1200, k wrote:
    >
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >>>
    >>> "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    >>> a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    >>> ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."

    >> Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    >> transfer speed, mixed up there?

    > I wouldn't think so.
    >
    > Transmission of data is usually measured in bits rather than bytes, is it
    > not?
    >
    > And with increasing use of network storage, my guess is that's where they
    > see their product most effectively used, at least initially.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Its not in bits per second with hard drives at least.
    David, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    k Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:57:03 +1200, k wrote:
    >
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >>>
    >>> "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    >>> a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    >>> ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."

    >> Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    >> transfer speed, mixed up there?

    > I wouldn't think so.
    >
    > Transmission of data is usually measured in bits rather than bytes, is it
    > not?
    >
    > And with increasing use of network storage, my guess is that's where they
    > see their product most effectively used, at least initially.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    I guess you are not familiar with the real world practicalities of
    having a storage device operate at 20Mbps :)
    k, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jerry Guest

    k wrote:
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >>
    >> "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    >> a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    >> ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    > transfer speed, mixed up there?

    There is some mix up, the title of the article reads (like the header of
    this thread) .5TB per square inch, but the article claims a density of
    515Gb per square inch. As the drive has a capacity of 300GB, the 515Gb
    per square inch figure must be right, unless the platters are extremely
    tiny.
    Jerry, Mar 29, 2006
  8. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:30:15 +1200, David wrote:

    > Its not in bits per second with hard drives at least.

    And storage on HDDs is not measured in megabytes (1024) either.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 29, 2006
  9. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:53:26 +1200, k wrote:

    > I guess you are not familiar with the real world practicalities of
    > having a storage device operate at 20Mbps :)

    Well it might take a wee while to transfer a few 1 gig vob files.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 29, 2006
  10. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.vnunet.com/2152827
    >
    > "The first generation drive has a capacity of 300GB on a single disk with
    > a 20Mbps transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family
    > ranging from 800GB to 1.6TB capacity."
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    cool, does dick smiths sell it ?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > >> Do you think they got their megabytes and megabits, with regard to
    > >> transfer speed, mixed up there?

    > > I wouldn't think so.
    > >
    > > Transmission of data is usually measured in bits rather than bytes, is it
    > > not?
    > >
    > > And with increasing use of network storage, my guess is that's where they
    > > see their product most effectively used, at least initially.
    > >

    > > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    > >

    > I guess you are not familiar with the real world practicalities of
    > having a storage device operate at 20Mbps :)

    Slower than fast ethernet LOLOL
    RJ, Mar 30, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:30:15 +1200, David wrote:
    >
    > > Its not in bits per second with hard drives at least.

    > And storage on HDDs is not measured in megabytes (1024) either.

    IBM used to measure theirs
    RJ, Apr 1, 2006