    ie. music videos and concerts and foreign language films had not
    changed one bit since the last time I was in. YMMV. Bleech.
    , Jan 31, 2004

  2. Nonymous Guest

    > I only had gone in when I had
    > access to those 99 cent new dvd rentals and I had been unable to get a
    > hold of any and secondly in the past year or so my library has really
    > stepped up their dvd collection even to the point that they had
    > actually had on hand albeit a limited number of new Tuesday dvd
    > releases not unlike retail stores and if you were savvy enough you
    > could put your selections on request months in advance and about half
    > the time they were ready and waiting for you on Tuesday and if not
    > then within several weeks.

    That's the longest sentence I've seen in a long time.
    Nonymous, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >The new dvds were now mixed in with the new vhs rentals and when asked
    >about this I was told that this was a corporate decision.

    Cutting all the excess verbiage, this seems to be how you concluded
    that Hollywood is not "DVD friendly".

    News flash: Some people will only accept a movie on DVD. Others just
    want to get the movie. Maybe they don't care about format at all,
    maybe they prefer DVD but will accept VHS. I submit that the people
    who would rather not watch a new release at all than watch it on VHS
    are a minority.

    Therefore Hollywood's decision is correct because it serves the
    majority better and doesn't hurt the minority. Even for the "must
    have DVD, won't take VHS" crowd, how exactly is it a problem that
    both formats of a given title are shelved together? Do you feel
    somehow that DVDs are polluted by mere proximity to VHS? :)

    My real issue with Hollywood -- and Blockbuster too -- is that I can
    never find anything in new releases because they have declared war
    on the alphabet. Movies starting with L are shelved anywhere from
    about G to Q, for instance. It's not that the shelves are mixed up,
    it's that they have their own system and deliberately use their own
    special corporate version of alphabetizing.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:23:44 -0500, "Nonymous" <>
    wrote:

    >> I only had gone in when I had
    >> access to those 99 cent new dvd rentals and I had been unable to get a
    >> hold of any and secondly in the past year or so my library has really
    >> stepped up their dvd collection even to the point that they had
    >> actually had on hand albeit a limited number of new Tuesday dvd
    >> releases not unlike retail stores and if you were savvy enough you
    >> could put your selections on request months in advance and about half
    >> the time they were ready and waiting for you on Tuesday and if not
    >> then within several weeks.

    >That's the longest sentence I've seen in a long time.

    Hah! You are not the first one to call me on that. I do it all the
    time. You should read my "bad" Hemingway contest submissions. Here is
    another one under a different nick:

    http://tinyurl.com/3dfqb

    , Jan 31, 2004
  5. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    > Therefore Hollywood's decision is correct because it serves the
    > majority better and doesn't hurt the minority. Even for the "must
    > have DVD, won't take VHS" crowd, how exactly is it a problem that
    > both formats of a given title are shelved together? Do you feel
    > somehow that DVDs are polluted by mere proximity to VHS? :)

    In fact, look at it as a way to ease the migration to DVD. Those
    without players can see that all the films they want are also on DVD,
    and look at the listing of extras before they pick up the VHS copy. For
    older titles, if it's not on DVD yet the fact that there's an old VHS
    version on the shelf may get DVD owners to break down and rent it.

    > My real issue with Hollywood -- and Blockbuster too -- is that I can
    > never find anything in new releases because they have declared war
    > on the alphabet. Movies starting with L are shelved anywhere from
    > about G to Q, for instance. It's not that the shelves are mixed up,
    > it's that they have their own system and deliberately use their own
    > special corporate version of alphabetizing.

    Haven't seen any of that locally, but they sometimes group related
    films together on the new release wall that throws the order off.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Justin Guest

    Stan Brown wrote on [Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:20:33 -0500]:
    > My real issue with Hollywood -- and Blockbuster too -- is that I can
    > never find anything in new releases because they have declared war
    > on the alphabet. Movies starting with L are shelved anywhere from
    > about G to Q, for instance. It's not that the shelves are mixed up,
    > it's that they have their own system and deliberately use their own
    > special corporate version of alphabetizing.

    My issues with BB is that they charge 4 bucks a rental
    Justin, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Stan Brown <> wrote:

    > Cutting all the excess verbiage, this seems to be how you concluded
    > that Hollywood is not "DVD friendly".
    >
    > News flash: Some people will only accept a movie on DVD. Others just
    > want to get the movie. Maybe they don't care about format at all,
    > maybe they prefer DVD but will accept VHS. I submit that the people
    > who would rather not watch a new release at all than watch it on VHS
    > are a minority.
    >
    > Therefore Hollywood's decision is correct because it serves the
    > majority better and doesn't hurt the minority. Even for the "must
    > have DVD, won't take VHS" crowd, how exactly is it a problem that
    > both formats of a given title are shelved together? Do you feel
    > somehow that DVDs are polluted by mere proximity to VHS? :)

    But why do these rental outlets feel the need to continue wasting
    precious shelf space with a 'WAY past it's expiration date' garbage
    format that's only appealing to bottom feeder demographics who have no
    quality standards? All they're doing is pro-longing the life of a format
    that was crap 30 years ago and is just utter shit today. You don't see
    the major sell-through only outlets like Circuit City and Best Buy
    wasting their shelf space with VHS and there's a reason for that. I also
    find it rather ironic that Netflix, who has huge warehouses of storage
    space, still don't waste that space with VHS, yet the little tiny at the
    corner Blockbuster and Hollywood Video do. Personally I think they
    should simply stop carrying new releases on VHS and maybe just designate
    a small section of their store for VHS titles that still aren't
    available on DVD. Sure, they'll argue "But we still make money off of
    VHS rentals!" Yeah, and Circuit City still made money off of VHS sales
    when they pulled the plug on it. The reality is VHS losers only account
    for a measily 25% of the home video market now. And to make matters
    worse, most of the VHS crowd(what's left of it) only seldom rent
    anything to begin with. Blockbuster's bread and butter now comes from
    DVD rentals and they could easily drop VHS without putting a dent in
    their profits. The major sell-through outlets woke up and realized the
    days of POS "videa tapes" are long behind us and it's now time that the
    rental outlets realize the same thing. Until this happens that small
    group of backwards thinking "I refuse to buy a DEEVEEDEE player! I wuv
    mah videas!" idiots will infact never buy a DVD player. You've gotta
    force technically challenged retards like this to buy a DVD player just
    like they were forced to buy a CD player back when CD's replaced vinyl
    and audio cassette tapes.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Black Locust Guest

    In article <310120041853187342%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > In fact, look at it as a way to ease the migration to DVD. Those
    > without players can see that all the films they want are also on DVD,
    > and look at the listing of extras before they pick up the VHS copy. For
    > older titles, if it's not on DVD yet the fact that there's an old VHS
    > version on the shelf may get DVD owners to break down and rent it.

    That doesn't hold much water. Next time you're in Blockbuster or
    Hollywood, observe the VHS renters. You'll often find that they don't
    even touch the DVD cover boxes even if there's 50 DVD cover boxes and
    only 2 VHS cover boxes on the shelf for that particular movie. They're
    surrounded by DVD's everywhere they go and they damn well know that VHS
    is done with, but they'll still go out of their way to get the "hot new
    releases" on VHShit. Likely the only thing going through their pea sized
    brains is "All dem DEEVEEDEE's get scwatched up. These videas will pway
    just fine on mah VCR." Now we all know this is a stupid argument
    considering all the other countless problems inherent to VHS despite
    it's protective caddie, but when you can't even put together 2+2=4 this
    is the only rationalization that you can come up with.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Black
    Locust <> wrote:

    > In article <310120041853187342%>,
    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >
    > > In fact, look at it as a way to ease the migration to DVD. Those
    > > without players can see that all the films they want are also on DVD,
    > > and look at the listing of extras before they pick up the VHS copy. For
    > > older titles, if it's not on DVD yet the fact that there's an old VHS
    > > version on the shelf may get DVD owners to break down and rent it.

    > That doesn't hold much water. Next time you're in Blockbuster or
    > Hollywood, observe the VHS renters.

    I have no real desire, as I don't care what others do :) I have rented
    vhs when there's been no dvd release yet, though, and it was nice not
    having to search two sections of the store (one to see if there was a
    dvd or not, then over to see if they still carried the vhs).

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Feb 3, 2004