Holiday menu

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")

    Anyway, my menu includes (so far):

    Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for the
    bratwurst)
    Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary staple)

    What's cookin' at YOUR house?

    --
    When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow up,
    you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I learned the

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim

    philo Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    > US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    > Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >
    > Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >
    > Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for the
    > bratwurst)
    > Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    > Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    > Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    > Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    > Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary

    staple)

    > What's cookin' at YOUR house?

    The girl friend typically puts regular and turkey brats on the grill...
    but we are only having a small get-together this year...
    so she'd going to grill some chicken.

    whatever she comes up with will be a winner.

    Hey when we go to a restaurant...
    I'm usually the one ordering the salad...and she's the one that goes for the
    steak!!!!

    I also have to watch my weight...she doesn't!!!!

    philo, Jul 2, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim

    EricP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:31:35 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    >US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    >Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")

    Curse you damn colonists for throwing out good king George, God bless
    him.

    You can come back if you like, all is forgiven??

    You can have President Blair as well. Wouldn't that be nice??
    Better still, you take him away to live in Washington so we are rid of
    him??

    EricP, Jul 2, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    > US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    > Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >
    > Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >
    > Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for the
    > bratwurst)
    > Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    > Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    > Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    > Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    > Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary staple)
    >
    > What's cookin' at YOUR house?

    BBQ at a friend's house. I don't have to clean anything up. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")

    > You'll get extra Turkey if you can tell us when Independence was
    > *actually* declared.
    >
    > Clue. Not the 4th July.

    I believe it was July 2.

    July 4 was the "official" adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

    And the Declaration of Independence wasn't signed on July 4, either.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim

    FML Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    > US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    > Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >
    > Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >
    > Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for the
    > bratwurst)
    > Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    > Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    > Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    > Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    > Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary staple)
    >
    > What's cookin' at YOUR house?

    Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.
    Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd have
    to kill ya).
    New potato salad.
    Pinto Beans.
    Rolls.
    Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    Beer, soft drinks and water.
    Pecan pie.
    Home made vanilla ice cream.

    FML, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >>> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >>> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")

    >> You'll get extra Turkey if you can tell us when Independence was
    >> *actually* declared.
    >>
    >> Clue. Not the 4th July.
    >>

    > I believe it was July 2.
    >
    > July 4 was the "official" adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
    >
    > And the Declaration of Independence wasn't signed on July 4, either.

    <copy & paste> http://tinyurl.com/lqwl5
    John Adams stated " July 2 should be clebrated by suceeding generations as
    the great American anniversary Festival", the succeeding year no one
    remebered till the Second, and some till the third, the first anniversary
    was celebrated in Philadelphia, and in handful of other ciites and towns of
    July 4th, 1777. A tradition was born. Many did not sign the Declaration till
    much later, with good reason, it was treason and could mean hanging.
    Actually July 2nd they were still editing Jefferson's draft, and July 2nd
    coorresponds with the anouncement of
    the colonies being independent on July 2nd, this was reported in the
    Pennsylavania Newspapers.
    We have not celebrated throughout our history as we do now, and after the
    Revol;utionary War, there were many city that ignored this date.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    FML wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >>
    >> Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >>
    >> Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    >> the bratwurst)
    >> Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    >> Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    >> Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    >> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >> staple) What's cookin' at YOUR house?
    >>

    > Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.

    Ah yes! Ribs. Love ribs. Best ribs I EVER had were BBQ Moose ribs. Only
    needed one rib per person, too <g>

    > Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    > Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd
    > have to kill ya).

    No need to go there, then ;o)

    > New potato salad.
    > Pinto Beans.
    > Rolls.

    Hmmm...missed that. Better hop back into town!

    > Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    > Beer, soft drinks and water.
    > Pecan pie.
    > Home made vanilla ice cream.

    Excellent :)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006
  9. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Dan Evans wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> You'll get extra Turkey if you can tell us when Independence was
    >>> *actually* declared.
    >>>
    >>> Clue. Not the 4th July.
    >>>

    >> I believe it was July 2.
    >>
    >> July 4 was the "official" adoption of the Declaration of
    >> Independence. And the Declaration of Independence wasn't signed on July
    >> 4, either.

    > <copy & paste> http://tinyurl.com/lqwl5
    > John Adams stated " July 2 should be clebrated by suceeding
    > generations as the great American anniversary Festival", the
    > succeeding year no one remebered till the Second, and some till the
    > third, the first anniversary was celebrated in Philadelphia, and in
    > handful of other ciites and towns of July 4th, 1777. A tradition was
    > born. Many did not sign the Declaration till much later, with good
    > reason, it was treason and could mean hanging. Actually July 2nd they
    > were still editing Jefferson's draft, and July 2nd coorresponds with
    > the anouncement of the colonies being independent on July 2nd, this was
    > reported in the
    > Pennsylavania Newspapers.
    > We have not celebrated throughout our history as we do now, and after
    > the Revol;utionary War, there were many city that ignored this date.

    Very nice - succinct.

    I think many of the early Americans were none to happy about the whole
    independence thing: celebrating the anniversary of declaring independence
    (tantamount to declaring war on their own family and heritage) was not
    something to be partied over. Truth is, the rebellion of the colonies was
    emotionally and financially devastating to many of the citizens. Today, over
    a couple hundred years later, we see this part of history from a much
    different perspective.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006
  10. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    > Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary staple)

    Oh my. I'll be right over!

    Did you know that Key Lime Pie made anywhere else (north of maybe
    Florida City) tastes different than pies made from limes actually grown
    on the Keys?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2006
  11. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >> staple)

    > Oh my. I'll be right over!
    >
    > Did you know that Key Lime Pie made anywhere else (north of maybe
    > Florida City) tastes different than pies made from limes actually
    > grown on the Keys?

    You're probably right. The Key limes are a different variety than the
    Persian limes available elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think genuine Key
    limes are available anywhere else due to the small quantity grown.

    What I have for mine, is some bottled lime juice sent to me from my neice in
    Florida. Not near as good as fresh, but it'll have to do <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2006
  12. Toolman Tim mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday
    > (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not
    > "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >
    > Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >
    > Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    > the
    > bratwurst)
    > Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    > Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    > Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    > Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    > Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    > staple)
    >
    > What's cookin' at YOUR house?

    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Sam Adams Pale Ale
    Sam Adams Hefeweizer
    Guiness
    St. Pauli Girl

    and, for my more plebian acquaintances,

    Budweiser
    Miller

    Oh, and assorted food items, of course...

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I used to like political jokes until so many of them got elected.

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 3, 2006
  13. Toolman Tim

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> I believe it was July 2.
    >>>
    >>> July 4 was the "official" adoption of the Declaration of
    >>> Independence. And the Declaration of Independence wasn't signed on
    >>> July 4, either.

    >> <copy & paste> http://tinyurl.com/lqwl5
    >> John Adams stated " July 2 should be clebrated by suceeding
    >> generations as the great American anniversary Festival", the
    >> succeeding year no one remebered till the Second, and some till the
    >> third, the first anniversary was celebrated in Philadelphia, and in
    >> handful of other ciites and towns of July 4th, 1777. A tradition was
    >> born. Many did not sign the Declaration till much later, with good
    >> reason, it was treason and could mean hanging. Actually July 2nd they
    >> were still editing Jefferson's draft, and July 2nd coorresponds with
    >> the anouncement of the colonies being independent on July 2nd, this
    >> was reported in the
    >> Pennsylavania Newspapers.
    >> We have not celebrated throughout our history as we do now, and after
    >> the Revol;utionary War, there were many city that ignored this date.

    > Very nice - succinct.
    >
    > I think many of the early Americans were none to happy about the whole
    > independence thing: celebrating the anniversary of declaring
    > independence (tantamount to declaring war on their own family and
    > heritage) was not something to be partied over. Truth is, the
    > rebellion of the colonies was emotionally and financially devastating
    > to many of the citizens. Today, over a couple hundred years later, we
    > see this part of history from a much different perspective.

    A lot of hard times for a lot of people, I doubt if anyone today realizes
    the tremendous burden that was placed upon the people and the struggle to
    get the USA where it is today. When I celebrate the 4th of July, I don't
    really celebrate what we are today, but what it took to get where we are
    today. Anyway enough of that shit, Happy 4th. of July.
    PS: BBQ Brisket is a Texas tradition. :)

    Old Gringo, Jul 3, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim

    Maybe Guest

    FML wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >>
    >> Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >>
    >> Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    >> the bratwurst)
    >> Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    >> Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    >> Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    >> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >> staple)
    >>
    >> What's cookin' at YOUR house?
    >>

    > Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.
    > Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    > Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd
    > have to kill ya).
    > New potato salad.
    > Pinto Beans.
    > Rolls.
    > Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    > Beer, soft drinks and water.
    > Pecan pie.
    > Home made vanilla ice cream.

    What's the water for????

    Maybe, Jul 3, 2006
  15. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Maybe" <""Maybe\"@NOT THIS.socal.rr.com wrote:
    > FML wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >>> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >>> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >>>
    >>> Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    >>> the bratwurst)
    >>> Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    >>> Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    >>> Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    >>> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >>> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >>> staple)
    >>>
    >>> What's cookin' at YOUR house?
    >>>

    >> Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.
    >> Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    >> Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd
    >> have to kill ya).
    >> New potato salad.
    >> Pinto Beans.
    >> Rolls.
    >> Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    >> Beer, soft drinks and water.
    >> Pecan pie.
    >> Home made vanilla ice cream.

    > What's the water for????

    Hosing down the kids <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2006
  16. Toolman Tim

    FML Guest

    Maybe > wrote:
    > FML wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4
    >>> holiday (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's
    >>> not "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >>>
    >>> Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    >>> the bratwurst)
    >>> Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    >>> Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    >>> Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    >>> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >>> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >>> staple)
    >>>
    >>> What's cookin' at YOUR house?
    >>>

    >> Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.
    >> Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    >> Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd
    >> have to kill ya).
    >> New potato salad.
    >> Pinto Beans.
    >> Rolls.
    >> Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    >> Beer, soft drinks and water.
    >> Pecan pie.
    >> Home made vanilla ice cream.

    > What's the water for????

    A cooler full of bottled water for those that do not want beer and/or
    soft drinks (not me!)

    FML, Jul 3, 2006
  17. Mara mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > What, no Two Dogs?!

    Not available around here.

    > What about Mike's Hard Lemonade?

    Ok. I'll lay in a case or two, just fer you.

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 3, 2006
  18. Toolman Tim

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us
    > US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not "Independence
    > Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")

    You'll get extra Turkey if you can tell us when Independence was *actually*
    declared.

    Clue. Not the 4th July.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 3, 2006
  19. Toolman Tim

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday (us

    The local meat business just this week raised their T-Bone Steak prices
    from $8.99/pound to $13.99/pound.

    Chopped Sirloin is still at $2.99/pound tho..........

    Homemade sausage, hot or sweet, also still at $1.49/pound.

    Plato, Jul 3, 2006
  20. Toolman Tim

    sharonf Guest

    FML wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Well, has everyone started cooking preparations for the July 4 holiday
    >> (us US folks, at least...on the other side of the pond it's not
    >> "Independence Day" but "Damn Yankee's are REVOLTING")
    >>
    >> Anyway, my menu includes (so far):
    >>
    >> Grilled burgers and/or sausages (haven't made it to the store for
    >> the bratwurst)
    >> Homemade Potato Salad (just about to start boiling them 'taters)
    >> Baked Beans (mmmm - spicy, of course)
    >> Tossed salad (for the women folk)
    >> Deviled eggs (using that really excellent dill mustard!)
    >> Key Lime Pie (since my family in Florida consider that a dietary
    >> staple)
    >>
    >> What's cookin' at YOUR house?
    >>

    > Got a whole mess of ribs and some Mesquite wood for the smoker.
    > Burgers and hot dogs for the kids.
    > Double Secret BBQ Sauce (I could tell you the recipe, but then I'd have
    > to kill ya).
    > New potato salad.
    > Pinto Beans.
    > Rolls.
    > Various pickles, peppers and onions.
    > Beer, soft drinks and water.
    > Pecan pie.
    > Home made vanilla ice cream.

    You got me with the home made vanilla ice cream. There's nothing better!

    sharonf, Jul 3, 2006