    of questions from all the new digital cameras owners.

    any suggestions?
    Rosita
    HRosita, Dec 21, 2003

  2. HRosita

    R2D2 Guest

    et (HRosita) wrote in
    news::

    > We really need a summary of canned answers in anticipation of
    > the flood of questions from all the new digital cameras owners.

    CANNED ANSWERS FOR POPULAR QUESTIONS:

    Q: Which camera is better, Canon A70 or Nikon 3100?
    A: A70 gives more natural colors, 3100 gives more vivid colors. A70 has
    focus lamp, 3100 does not.

    Q: Which camera is better, Minolta A1, Nikon 5700, or Canon Digital Rebel?
    A: Digital Rebel (300D)

    Q: Is the Sigma dDLR SD9/SD10 as good as a DSLR from Canon, Nikon, or
    Pentax?
    A: No, absolutely not. The colors are off, and these are only 3 megapixels
    cameras. Plus, they only accept Sigma lenses.

    Q: Who is George Preddy?
    A: A troll who needs to be killfiled so you can enjoy this group.

    Q: Which is better, Canon G3 or G5?
    A: The G5 gives you more pixels, but it also gives you more noise.

    Q: Are there any cheap digital cameras under $300 with no shutter lag?
    A: NO! Stick to film!

    Q: Which is better, film or digital?
    A: Depends on your budget and requirements.

    Q: How many megapixels do I need to print photo quality at 4X6?
    A: Photo quality is achieved at 300 PPI. This means that a 2 MP camera is
    not quite enough. 3MP is safe.

    Q: Why do my indoor pics come blurry and dark?
    A: Because in low light your camera uses a slower shutter speed and causes
    camera shake.

    Q: Does sigma make good lenses?
    A: NO!
    R2D2, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Most of your answers are irrelevant to post x-mas questions,
    because people already have their cameras. Regarding sigma
    and good lenses I strongly disagree. The rainbow image
    on my web site home page, http://www.clarkvision.com was
    taken with a sigma zoom and I make beautifully sharp 18x28 inch
    enlargements (from Fuji Velvia and drum scan). The sigma
    170-500mm lens is sharper than Canon 100-400 L lens:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/lenstest1.html
    I no longer user sigma lenses, but only because I want
    only image stabilized lenses.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 21, 2003
  4. HRosita

    R2D2 Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote
    in news::

    > Most of your answers are irrelevant to post x-mas questions,
    > because people already have their cameras.

    Hogwash. Lots of people wait until after the holidays to buy.

    > Regarding sigma
    > and good lenses I strongly disagree.

    OK, I will change my answer to "Generally no, with a small number of
    exceptions". The majority of them are HORRIBLE. And the SD9 crowd buys the
    cheap consumer glass. Most people who will spend a fortune on glass will
    buy from their camera manufacturer, not Sigma or Tamron.
    R2D2, Dec 21, 2003
  5. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Actually I meant more general answers and not brand bashing.
    I was thinking more in terms of a list of helpful urls, statements like:
    If you never print more than 5x7 get a 3 MP camera, Irfanview is a good, free
    image viewer, good inexpensive editing programs are Elements, Paintshop Pro,
    and so on.
    But I guess even a list like that would be prone to attack. So I will just
    answer the questions as they come. Maybe save some of the text and copy and
    paste.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Dec 21, 2003
  6. HRosita

    R2D2 Guest

    et (HRosita) wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Actually I meant more general answers and not brand bashing.
    > I was thinking more in terms of a list of helpful urls, statements
    > like: If you never print more than 5x7 get a 3 MP camera, Irfanview is
    > a good, free image viewer, good inexpensive editing programs are
    > Elements, Paintshop Pro, and so on.
    > But I guess even a list like that would be prone to attack. So I will
    > just answer the questions as they come. Maybe save some of the text
    > and copy and paste.
    > Rosita

    Happy Holidays to you, Rosita. Seriously, do you really think it would be
    possible for this group to agree on a FAQ? Doubtful. I was half joking in
    my FAQ because those are pretty commonly repeated questions but those are
    basically my opinions except for a SLIGHT exaggeration about how bad the
    Sigma lenses are. As far as George P, I think the newbies need to be
    forewarned.

    PS, I am not 100% comfortable with printing 3MP @ 5X7.
    R2D2, Dec 21, 2003
  7. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    >R2D2 wrote:

    >PS, I am not 100% comfortable with printing 3MP @ 5X7.

    Hi,

    I just checked a picture straight out of the Fuji A303 (3.2 MP) and at 7x5.25
    actual proportion it gives 228 PPI.
    Could be better but with a decent printer or printed at Wal Mart or another lab
    it might be OK. I interpolated a 1.3 MP picture taken with a Agfa 1280 and
    printed an 8x10 that still looks good. The printer was a epson 1200.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Dec 22, 2003