    Anyways.. suggestions or comments on places other than Snopes or Break the
    Chain?

    ~SF~

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 18, 2003

  2. "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:01:48 GMT, Sentient Fluid wrote:
    > > Ever notice how they always seem to come at once?
    > >
    > > I was wondering how many people actually check out their veracity before
    > > deciding whether or not to send them on. And for those of you who do,

    where
    > > do you go?
    > >
    > > I was also looking for a link to a website that explains how to spot a

    hoax.
    > > I used to know one but I lost the link :-( I did a quick google search

    and
    > > came up with little to nothing. Possibly didn't use decent keywords,
    > > though.
    > >
    > > Anyways.. suggestions or comments on places other than Snopes or Break

    the
    > > Chain?

    > I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of "how to spot a hoax".
    > Aren't they all? When aren't they?

    I don't know if they all are *shrug*

    The site I used to know, just had some tips on certain wirting styles..
    certain phrases.. and so on, to look for that would indicate the email was a
    hoax.

    I should clarify that the reason I am asking is that I get so many hoax
    emails from people who barely understand computers (surprisingly a lot of
    them from AOL) and I've kind of made it my mission to reply to each one I
    recieve with a small email explaining the hoax and giving some pointers on
    how to avoid annoying other people with these emails.

    Hope that made sense... I need sleep :-D

    --
    Anti-Hoax Crusader Extraordinaire ;-P

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Sentient Fluid

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Here is the best link I have found so far:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

    It is always up to date and lists every hoax. It does not tell you how to
    "Spot"
    a hoax, however it is a quick list of hoaxes. Just bookmark the link or
    better still
    go here http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html
    This is also an excellent resource to virus threats and the downloadable
    "Fix" tools
    with instructions on how to use them.
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Sentient Fluid

    Computer Guy Guest

    Oooops. The second link has been corrected.
    Sorry about that.

    Computer Guy, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Sentient Fluid

    Boomer Guest

    Sentient Fluid said:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:01:48 GMT, Sentient Fluid wrote:
    >> > Ever notice how they always seem to come at once?
    >> >
    >> > I was wondering how many people actually check out their
    >> > veracity before deciding whether or not to send them on. And
    >> > for those of you who do,

    > where
    >> > do you go?
    >> >
    >> > I was also looking for a link to a website that explains how to
    >> > spot a

    > hoax.

    These may be of some help.

    http://www.datafellows.com/virus-info/hoax/
    http://email.about.com/cs/spamgeneral/
    http://tutorials.beginners.co.uk/read/id/300
    http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/ourequip/basics/mailjunk.html

    Boomer, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Sentient Fluid wrote:

    > I should clarify that the reason I am asking is that I get so many hoax
    > emails from people who barely understand computers (surprisingly a lot of
    > them from AOL) and I've kind of made it my mission to reply to each one I
    > recieve with a small email explaining the hoax and giving some pointers on
    > how to avoid annoying other people with these emails.

    AOL users are generally rank newbies who know nothing about computers (if
    they did, they wouldn't be using AOL, duh) and easily fall for all manner
    of nonsense. So it should be no surprise that you get a lot of that from
    AOL users, not to mention cutesy-pooh HTML and urban legends (perfume
    sellers in parking lots knocking people out, etc.). A good reference for
    "friend of a friend of a friend" stories and "moral tales" is
    http://www.snopes.com.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 19, 2003