HN's $288 netbook special

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by joe_90, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    joe_90, Dec 28, 2009

  2. joe_90

    Squiggle Guest

    joe_90 threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > If you missed out on the limited supply of HP Mini 110-1111TU in the
    > Harvey Norman 'Big Sale', they are now offering rain checks for
    > genuine customers (personal callers).
    >
    > more info -
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=48&TopicId=55233
    >
    > http://twitter.com/harveynormanNZ

    Thanks for the heads up on this, Missed out on the original batch due to
    attending
    the boxing day races at Ellerslie.

    Saw your message yesterday and had a quick read, so jumped into the car
    and headed
    to my local store where the staff denied all knowledge of rainchecks. A
    few tweets
    and emails later that was sorted. Just about to head over to the store
    to pay a
    deposit on a netbook of "similar specs" for the advertised price.

    First round is on me if we ever meet.
    Squiggle, Dec 28, 2009

  3. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    On 29-12-09 12:01, Squiggle wrote:

    > First round is on me if we ever meet.

    Cheers! You're welcome.

    It will be interesting to see what model they come up with - some are
    suggesting the W7 variant of the same model (which I think comes with
    2GB RAM). I could be talked into accepting that :)

    I'm not comfortable with stumping up the $'s pretty much blind (not my
    idea of a 'rain check' either), but after a short discussion with the
    salesperson I got an assurance I could get a full refund if the spec.
    was inferior.

    For the money, it's a no brainer. Hopefully HN will realise they have a
    potential public relations disaster brewing and they will do the right
    thing. We shall see...

    For anyone else considering this deal, the sale ends today (29th).

    (just for the reconrd, I have no connection with HN - they probably
    don't want this offer publicised).
    joe_90, Dec 28, 2009
  4. joe_90

    Squiggle Guest

    joe_90 threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > On 29-12-09 12:01, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> First round is on me if we ever meet.

    > Cheers! You're welcome.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see what model they come up with - some are
    > suggesting the W7 variant of the same model (which I think comes with
    > 2GB RAM). I could be talked into accepting that :)

    ooh, aah, I dunno, twist my arm why dontcha :) Oh, go on, throw in
    something with the Nvidia ION chipset instead. :D

    > I'm not comfortable with stumping up the $'s pretty much blind (not my
    > idea of a 'rain check' either), but after a short discussion with the
    > salesperson I got an assurance I could get a full refund if the spec.
    > was inferior.
    >
    > For the money, it's a no brainer. Hopefully HN will realise they have
    > a potential public relations disaster brewing and they will do the
    > right thing. We shall see...

    So long as its a 10" netbook with 1GB+ and an atom N280 or better i'll
    be happy.

    > For anyone else considering this deal, the sale ends today (29th).
    >
    > (just for the reconrd, I have no connection with HN - they probably
    > don't want this offer publicised).

    I think you'd be doing well to get in on the deal now, I believe they
    have pulled the ads etc. And at that price I can't see how its anything
    but a loss-leader, so they will be trying to keep it quiet.

    I imagine somebody in the marketing dept is going to be getting a bit of
    a bollocking.
    Squiggle, Dec 29, 2009
  5. joe_90

    CJG Guest

    Thats pretty stink they must have only done that recently i went in on
    sunday and they would not do rain checks. i rang them before i went
    and they said that they could do a rain check i got there and they
    would`nt do it its pretty stink. i even tried going to noel leeming to
    get them to macth the price but they would not do this as it is
    exclusive to harvey normans i think it was a matter of first in first
    served
    CJG, Dec 29, 2009
  6. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    On 29-12-09 21:43, CJG wrote:
    > Thats pretty stink they must have only done that recently i went in on
    > sunday and they would not do rain checks. i rang them before i went
    > and they said that they could do a rain check i got there and they
    > would`nt do it its pretty stink. i even tried going to noel leeming to
    > get them to macth the price but they would not do this as it is
    > exclusive to harvey normans i think it was a matter of first in first
    > served

    I think the rain checks started on Monday - looks that way from the
    geekzone thread. I suggest you go back and try to find the salesperson
    you spoke to on Sunday. I'm sure they could sort this for you, but
    expect to have to exercise your diplomacy skills (ie. be polite but
    insistent).

    Good luck.
    joe_90, Dec 29, 2009