Hmm... 9 megapixel Samsung

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Roberts, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Mark Roberts, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Charles Schuler, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Mark Roberts

    U-Know-Who Guest

    U-Know-Who, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Mark Roberts

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:09:47 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.dpnet.com.cn/news/news.asp?id=10325
    >> Alleged to be available in March.

    >I am becoming a Samsung fan. This might be a good offering. Let's wait and
    >see.

    Looks like a good walking around camera, and it's a cinch that 18-55mm
    will be FAR better than a certain 18-55mm DSLR kit lens that shall
    remain nameless.
    -Rich

    Rich, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Mark Roberts

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    "U-Know-Who" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.dpnet.com.cn/news/news.asp?id=10325
    >> Alleged to be available in March.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark Roberts
    >> Photography and writing
    >> www.robertstech.com

    > I bet it would be nice reading if it was not in an Asian language.

    Chinese to be exact. The camera is based on the Pentax *ist DL, K-AF mount,
    with a Samsung/Pentax developed sensor. They show a Schneider-Krenznach
    badged 18~55mm lens. I have a really poorly Googlish Chinese to English
    translation so it's almost unreadable !

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Randall Ainsworth, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Mark Roberts

    rafe b Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:02:33 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >If it says Samsung on the outside, you know it will suck.

    Typical Randall xenophobic bullsh*t.

    Korea's technology is second to none. They've
    surpassed the Japanese in lots of ways -- at the
    moment, they're hungrier and running faster than
    the Japanese.

    I've dealt with Samsung design engineers and
    let's just say... they are intensely competent.
    Much less constrained in their thinking and
    behavior than their Japanese counterparts.

    Korea has a huge role in global semiconductor
    production. Samsung has a big role in that, and
    in lots of other technologies, like LCD, TFT,
    Plasma, CCD, hard drives, etc.

    Chances are that your electronic goodies are
    riddled with Samsung-made chips.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Mark Roberts

    Guest

    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > http://www.dpnet.com.cn/news/news.asp?id=10325
    > Alleged to be available in March.

    It looks like a photoshopped picture of a Pentax ist-DS.
    The only apparrent difference is the change from "Pentax" to "Samsung"
    on the front of the pentaprism housing.
    It reminds me of the various faked pictures of "soon to marketed"
    cameras from Nikon and Canon that appear from time to time.

    , Dec 22, 2005
  9. Gerrit 't Hart, Dec 22, 2005
  10. Mark Roberts

    Skip M Guest

    Skip M, Dec 22, 2005
  11. Mark Roberts

    Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > >> http://www.dpnet.com.cn/news/news.asp?id=10325
    > >> Alleged to be available in March.

    > > Can't read the Japanese (?)
    > > Would that actually refer to this one?
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/
    > >
    > > Gerrit

    > Nope, the one you refer to doesn't have a viewfinder, as does the one
    > discussed here.

    Assuming that it is real, and not a phantasy created up by a Photoshop
    user.
    I think that Artyste (in the Depreview forum thread entitled "Re:
    Samsung's new DSLR GX-1L") has hit the nail on the head:
    <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=16358558>
    I find it very difficult to believe that Pentax would let Samsung use
    the same body as their own camera.

    , Dec 22, 2005
  12. Mark Roberts

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:02:33 -0800, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > If it says Samsung on the outside, you know it will suck.

    If it says "From: Randall Ainsworth <>" in
    the header, you know the opinion will suck.

    ASAAR, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Mark Roberts

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 22, 2005
  14. Mark Roberts

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Skip M wrote:
    >> "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Can't read the Japanese (?)
    >> > Would that actually refer to this one?
    >> > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/
    >> >
    >> > Gerrit

    >> Nope, the one you refer to doesn't have a viewfinder, as does the one
    >> discussed here.

    > Assuming that it is real, and not a phantasy created up by a Photoshop
    > user.
    > I think that Artyste (in the Depreview forum thread entitled "Re:
    > Samsung's new DSLR GX-1L") has hit the nail on the head:
    > <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=16358558>
    > I find it very difficult to believe that Pentax would let Samsung use
    > the same body as their own camera.

    Why? Pentax and Samsung did sign an agreement to jointly develop dSLR
    cameras. We don't know what the agreement states.

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 22, 2005
  15. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    wrote:

    >I think that Artyste (in the Depreview forum thread entitled "Re:
    >Samsung's new DSLR GX-1L") has hit the nail on the head:
    ><http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=16358558>
    >I find it very difficult to believe that Pentax would let Samsung use
    >the same body as their own camera.

    What???? Pentax would *prefer* to have Samsung use a Pentax body:
    Pentax's revenues from licensing fees are much greater that way than if
    Samsung designs the whole camera themselves. *Samsung* would be expected
    to be more reluctant to the deal than Pentax (for the same reasons!),
    but probably went for it in order to hit the market as quickly as
    possible. With Samsung's distribution channels this could be a real cash
    cow for Pentax.

    BTW: Samsung owns the rights to the Schneider name, so that "Schneider"
    lens shown on the camera is probably a rebadged Pentax budget zoom.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Dec 22, 2005
  16. Mark Roberts

    Guest

    Mark Roberts wrote:

    > >I think that Artyste (in the Depreview forum thread entitled "Re:
    > >Samsung's new DSLR GX-1L") has hit the nail on the head:
    > ><http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=16358558>
    > >I find it very difficult to believe that Pentax would let Samsung use
    > >the same body as their own camera.

    > What???? Pentax would *prefer* to have Samsung use a Pentax body:
    > Pentax's revenues from licensing fees are much greater that way than if
    > Samsung designs the whole camera themselves. *Samsung* would be expected
    > to be more reluctant to the deal than Pentax (for the same reasons!),
    > but probably went for it in order to hit the market as quickly as
    > possible. With Samsung's distribution channels this could be a real cash
    > cow for Pentax.
    >
    > BTW: Samsung owns the rights to the Schneider name, so that "Schneider"
    > lens shown on the camera is probably a rebadged Pentax budget zoom.

    The picture looks _fake_ and there is no anouncement on the Samsung
    website about this camera.
    I could manufacture this same image myself, snap a pic of my Pentax
    *ist-Ds and photoshop it by changing the word "pentax" to "samsung" on
    the prism housing.
    The colour of the "auto pict" notch on the mode dial is purely a colour
    temp difference, or it could be altered easily in photoshop.
    Another strike against it is that the original "anouncement" page (and
    the pictures that you seem so desperately to want be real) has
    vanished.
    I won't believe that this (truly fake looking) picture is real, until
    there is an official anouncement of it's launch by Samsung.
    It does _not_ appear on the Samsung digital imaging website
    <http://www.samsungtechwin.com/>.
    Merely wishing something to be real does not make it so.

    , Dec 23, 2005
  17. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    wrote:

    >The picture looks _fake_ and there is no anouncement on the Samsung
    >website about this camera.
    >I could manufacture this same image myself, snap a pic of my Pentax
    >*ist-Ds and photoshop it by changing the word "pentax" to "samsung" on
    >the prism housing.

    How would you do the Schneider lettering on the lens?

    Mark Roberts, Dec 23, 2005
  18. Mark Roberts

    Guest

    Mark Roberts wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > >The picture looks _fake_ and there is no anouncement on the Samsung
    > >website about this camera.
    > >I could manufacture this same image myself, snap a pic of my Pentax
    > >*ist-Ds and photoshop it by changing the word "pentax" to "samsung" on
    > >the prism housing.

    > How would you do the Schneider lettering on the lens?

    Exactly the same way.
    It realy isn't difficult with a good image manipulation program.
    I just have no reason to fake something like this.

    , Dec 24, 2005
  19. Mark Roberts

    Guest

    wrote:

    > Mark Roberts wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >The picture looks _fake_ and there is no anouncement on the Samsung
    > > >website about this camera.
    > > >I could manufacture this same image myself, snap a pic of my Pentax
    > > >*ist-Ds and photoshop it by changing the word "pentax" to "samsung" on
    > > >the prism housing.

    > > How would you do the Schneider lettering on the lens?

    > Exactly the same way.
    > It realy isn't difficult with a good image manipulation program.
    > I just have no reason to fake something like this.

    Except to prove how darn easy it is.
    <http://members.iinet.net.au/~therealm/dj_nme/fake1.jpg>
    <http://members.iinet.net.au/~therealm/dj_nme/fake2.jpg>
    A result of twenty minutes "hard" work will Photopaint.

    , Dec 24, 2005
  20. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    wrote:

    >Mark Roberts wrote:

    >The picture looks _fake_ and there is no anouncement on the Samsung
    >website about this camera.
    >I could manufacture this same image myself, snap a pic of my Pentax
    >*ist-Ds and photoshop it by changing the word "pentax" to "samsung" on
    >the prism housing.
    >The colour of the "auto pict" notch on the mode dial is purely a colour
    >temp difference, or it could be altered easily in photoshop.
    >Another strike against it is that the original "anouncement" page (and
    >the pictures that you seem so desperately to want be real) has
    >vanished.

    You betcha:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06011602samsunggx1s.asp

    --