    value out of HL2 ?

    tia

    Ssh
    Shovet Uppem, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Shovet Uppem wrote:
    > Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to get
    > value out of HL2 ?

    GF4 TI 4400 seems to make it look pretty good, and reasonably fast at
    1024x768, although I hear that it is "mucho purdy" if you want to sell
    your soul, your loved ones souls, mortgage your home, and take out a
    loan, and grab the most expensive video cards from either ATI or nVidia

    ATI 9800 it looks really good on, and they're a lot cheaper than they were.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ATI 9800 it looks really good on, and they're a lot cheaper than they were.

    9700 too.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Shovet Uppem

    JohnO Guest

    "Shovet Uppem" <> wrote in message
    > Santa is going to see to it that my onboard GPU wont hack it after his

    visit
    > on the 25th.
    > Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to get
    > value out of HL2 ?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > Ssh

    aka how to prompt a religious war on graphics cards.

    For best bang for your buck I'd say Radeon 9800 Pro (256bit, 128Mb) or
    nVidia Fx6600 GT

    You should be able to get into one of these for under $400.
    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Shovet Uppem

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  8. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:41:01 +1300, "Shovet Uppem" <> wrote:

    >Santa is going to see to it that my onboard GPU wont hack it after his visit
    >on the 25th.
    >Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to get
    >value out of HL2 ?
    >
    >tia
    >
    >Ssh

    Yes a Nvidia GeForce 6600GT, AGP I would presume.

    The AGP ones are dearer.

    Or may be a ATI 9800Pro or 9800SE

    But what do you wish to Pay..?
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004
  10. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:08:46 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"Shovet Uppem" <> wrote in message
    >> Santa is going to see to it that my onboard GPU wont hack it after his

    >visit
    >> on the 25th.
    >> Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to get
    >> value out of HL2 ?
    >>
    >> tia
    >>
    >> Ssh
    >>

    >aka how to prompt a religious war on graphics cards.
    >
    >For best bang for your buck I'd say Radeon 9800 Pro (256bit, 128Mb) or
    >nVidia Fx6600 GT
    >
    >You should be able to get into one of these for under $400.

    Not from what I can see, all around over the $400 mark
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Shovet Uppem

    Daniel Guest

    Shovet Uppem wrote:
    > Santa is going to see to it that my onboard GPU wont hack it after his visit
    > on the 25th.
    > Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to get
    > value out of HL2 ?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > Ssh

    Hi,

    What are the specs of your PC? (I think it might be a good idea to know
    what kind of rig you have first - if you've got a Dell 3000 or 2400,
    then commiserations).
    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  13. Shovet Uppem

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Dec 21, 2004
  14. Shovet Uppem

    JohnO Guest

    "Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:08:46 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Shovet Uppem" <> wrote in message
    >>> Santa is going to see to it that my onboard GPU wont hack it after his

    >>visit
    >>> on the 25th.
    >>> Any recommendation as to what card (and how little I need to spend) to
    >>> get
    >>> value out of HL2 ?
    >>>
    >>> tia
    >>>
    >>> Ssh
    >>>

    >>aka how to prompt a religious war on graphics cards.
    >>
    >>For best bang for your buck I'd say Radeon 9800 Pro (256bit, 128Mb) or
    >>nVidia Fx6600 GT
    >>
    >>You should be able to get into one of these for under $400.
    >>

    > Not from what I can see, all around over the $400 mark

    Here ya go Woger:
    9800Pro 256bit - $339 + GST :
    http://tinyurl.com/3wkhp

    FX6600GT AGP - $360 + GST
    http://tinyurl.com/4s3s2

    Or if you are lucky enough to have a mobo with PCI-e: FX6600GT PCI-e a
    bargain $269 + GST:
    http://tinyurl.com/467mq
    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  15. Shovet Uppem

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  16. Shovet Uppem

    cowboyz Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > "Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:08:46 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Shovet Uppem" <> wrote in message

    >>> aka how to prompt a religious war on graphics cards.
    >>>
    >>> For best bang for your buck I'd say Radeon 9800 Pro (256bit, 128Mb)
    >>> or nVidia Fx6600 GT
    >>>
    >>> You should be able to get into one of these for under $400.
    >>>

    >> Not from what I can see, all around over the $400 mark
    >>

    > Here ya go Woger:
    > 9800Pro 256bit - $339 + GST :
    > http://tinyurl.com/3wkhp
    >
    > FX6600GT AGP - $360 + GST
    > http://tinyurl.com/4s3s2
    >
    > Or if you are lucky enough to have a mobo with PCI-e: FX6600GT PCI-e a
    > bargain $269 + GST:
    > http://tinyurl.com/467mq

    jezz thats cheap and worth every penny. I have the GeCube 9800pro and it
    rocks. loving it. (and HL2 rocks too)
    cowboyz, Dec 21, 2004
  17. Shovet Uppem

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Dec 21, 2004
  18. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:55:46 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:08:46 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Shovet Uppem" <> wrote in message
    >>>visit

    >>>aka how to prompt a religious war on graphics cards.
    >>>
    >>>For best bang for your buck I'd say Radeon 9800 Pro (256bit, 128Mb) or
    >>>nVidia Fx6600 GT
    >>>
    >>>You should be able to get into one of these for under $400.
    >>>

    >> Not from what I can see, all around over the $400 mark
    >>

    >Here ya go Woger:
    >9800Pro 256bit - $339 + GST :
    >http://tinyurl.com/3wkhp
    >
    >FX6600GT AGP - $360 + GST
    >http://tinyurl.com/4s3s2
    >
    >Or if you are lucky enough to have a mobo with PCI-e: FX6600GT PCI-e a
    >bargain $269 + GST:
    >http://tinyurl.com/467mq

    But is that Wellington..?

    I prefer to deal with a Firm that I have used in the past and can trust, plus
    those boards that you list are the Low end brands.
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 21, 2004
  20. Shovet Uppem

    cowboyz Guest

    >> Here ya go Woger:
    >> 9800Pro 256bit - $339 + GST :
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3wkhp
    >>
    >> FX6600GT AGP - $360 + GST
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4s3s2
    >>
    >> Or if you are lucky enough to have a mobo with PCI-e: FX6600GT PCI-e
    >> a bargain $269 + GST:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/467mq
    >>

    > But is that Wellington..?

    Are you *trying* to make yourself look like a dick? I mean, you usually do
    but I often suspect it is due to lack of intelligence. Now I really think
    you are trying.

    > I prefer to deal with a Firm that I have used in the past and can
    > trust, plus those boards that you list are the Low end brands.

    More CrapTM.. Can't speak for PixelView but GeCube are good cards. IME
    anyway. (Hey Woger... Guess what that E stands for?)

    Moving on.

    Why is the PCI Express version of the 6600GT clocked at 1000 when the AGP
    version is only at 900? Is this common or just PixelView doing this? Is
    this a way they are going to convince Mr Joe Average that PCI-E is faster?
    cowboyz, Dec 21, 2004