    in 15 hours time..??

    I only have dialup..

    Please how do I fix this crap..?

    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:

    > What am I doing wrong..
    >
    > I have the Collector's addition of HL2 and the Updates from the PCGAMES May 2005 DVD, all some 4.3
    > gigs of files that I have installed after lots of stuffing around and 3 updates to Steam Platform I
    > then Activated it and checked for updates, it stated that I am all upto date.
    >
    > So exited and try to run offline will not let me, so go online and it states that the game will run
    > in 15 hours time..??
    >

    > I only have dialup..
    >

    > Please how do I fix this crap..?

    Get broadband.

    EMB, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:22:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >>

    >> What am I doing wrong..
    >>
    >> I have the Collector's addition of HL2 and the Updates from the PCGAMES May 2005 DVD, all some 4.3
    >> gigs of files that I have installed after lots of stuffing around and 3 updates to Steam Platform I
    >> then Activated it and checked for updates, it stated that I am all upto date.
    >>
    >> So exited and try to run offline will not let me, so go online and it states that the game will run
    >> in 15 hours time..??
    >>

    >> I only have dialup..
    >>

    >> Please how do I fix this crap..?
    >>

    >Get broadband.

    What and for 5 gigs of Updates..

    You are Joking..

    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:22:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:

    >>> Please how do I fix this crap..?
    >>>

    >> Get broadband.

    > What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >

    > You are Joking..

    I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    island haven't joined the 21st century yet.

    IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    EMB, Sep 4, 2007
  5. On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:15:12 +1200, Greg House
    < wrote:
    >So exited and try to run offline will not let me, so go online and it states that the game will run
    >in 15 hours time..??
    >On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:22:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>Get broadband.

    >What and for 5 gigs of Updates..

    To run a steam application in offline mode you must first run it in
    online mode. This will authenticate the application with the steam
    servers and cache your login details. Once you have done this you
    should be able to switch to offline mode and play the game.

    As for downloads, I too have similar problems (steam + dialup). Here
    is what I did:
    1. Install steam on my laptop
    2. Go to friends house and get steam to download the games
    3. At home copy the contents of C:\program files\steam\steamapps on
    my laptop to the same folder on my desktop
    4. restart steam

    Once you have the latest version of the GCFs keeping up to date isnt
    too hard with dialup - HL2 alone normaly only gets updates when new
    versions of the engine come out (such as when HL2: episode one/two are
    released).

    As for

    David Goodwin, Sep 4, 2007
  6. Greg House

    John Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Greg House wrote:

    >>> Get broadband.

    >> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>

    >> You are Joking..

    > I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    > nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    > doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    > island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >
    > IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    > can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    > world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    Hey Roger, You had cable installed years ago, how come you're now on
    dialup?

    John, Sep 4, 2007
  7. Greg House

    XPD Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > What am I doing wrong..
    >
    > I have the Collector's addition of HL2 and the Updates from the PCGAMES
    > May 2005 DVD, all some 4.3
    > gigs of files that I have installed after lots of stuffing around and 3
    > updates to Steam Platform I
    > then Activated it and checked for updates, it stated that I am all upto
    > date.
    >
    > So exited and try to run offline will not let me, so go online and it
    > states that the game will run
    > in 15 hours time..??

    Sounds like youve updated the Steam platform, but not the individual games
    themselves. Its annoying how it does that.

    1 of 2 choices..well 3 really.

    1 - Give up.
    2 - DOwnload them.
    3 - Find someone else locally who has Steam with games all updated, pop
    round with some CD's and copy all their GCF files. Then copy them into your
    steam directory and bingo, all done :)

    XPD, Sep 4, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:00:46 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:

    >>> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>>

    >>> You are Joking..

    >> I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >> nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >> doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >> island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>
    >> IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >> can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >> world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    >Hey Roger, You had cable installed years ago, how come you're now on
    >dialup?

    I got Married...

    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:

    >>> Get broadband.

    >> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>

    >> You are Joking..

    >I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >
    >IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    So when will you provide me with a Broadband Pent ion...

    Plus Broadband here is heavily capped..

    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007
  10. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:07:37 GMT, (David Goodwin) wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:15:12 +1200, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >>So exited and try to run offline will not let me, so go online and it states that the game will run
    >>in 15 hours time..??
    >>On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:22:53 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>>Get broadband.

    >>What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>

    >To run a steam application in offline mode you must first run it in
    >online mode. This will authenticate the application with the steam
    >servers and cache your login details. Once you have done this you
    >should be able to switch to offline mode and play the game.
    >
    >As for downloads, I too have similar problems (steam + dialup). Here
    >is what I did:
    > 1. Install steam on my laptop
    > 2. Go to friends house and get steam to download the games
    > 3. At home copy the contents of C:\program files\steam\steamapps on
    >my laptop to the same folder on my desktop
    > 4. restart steam
    >
    >Once you have the latest version of the GCFs keeping up to date isnt
    >too hard with dialup - HL2 alone normaly only gets updates when new
    >versions of the engine come out (such as when HL2: episode one/two are
    >released).
    >
    >As for

    I have the DVD version not the Steam one, you need ALL the Updates to run off line..

    I do have a PCGAMERS DVD may 2005 that has over 4.3 gigs of GCFs updates..

    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007
  11. Greg House

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:29:22 +1200, Greg House
    < wrote:

    >I have the DVD version not the Steam one, you need ALL the Updates to run off line..
    >
    >I do have a PCGAMERS DVD may 2005 that has over 4.3 gigs of GCFs updates..

    And May 2005 was over 2 years ago! You got 2 more years worth of updates to get.

    Cima, Sep 4, 2007
  12. Greg House

    Allistar Guest

    Greg House < wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Greg House wrote:

    >>> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>>

    >>> You are Joking..

    >>I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >>nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >>doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >>island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>
    >>IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >>can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >>world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    > So when will you provide me with a Broadband Pent ion...
    >

    > Plus Broadband here is heavily capped..

    So is dial-up, in the sense that there is a physical limit to how much you
    can download each month because of the piss-poor speed.

    --
    A.

    Allistar, Sep 5, 2007
  13. Greg House

    Rob S Guest

    Greg House < wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:

    >>> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>>

    >>> You are Joking..

    >> I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >> nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >> doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >> island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>
    >> IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >> can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >> world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    > So when will you provide me with a Broadband Pent ion...

    What? Do you mean pension? If you do, you're not the only one who has to
    live on a limited income. Learn to budget or do without.

    > Plus Broadband here is heavily capped..

    You get what you pay for. If you are happy with no caps but downloading
    very slowly, don't complain when an application runs better at broadband
    speeds. If you want that app to run better, stop being a skinflint and
    pay for broadband like everybody else. You make your choices and you
    live with them.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Particle physicists are always trying to hold a meeting, but whenever
    they decide on a place, the time changes.

    Rob S, Sep 5, 2007
  14. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:07:39 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:

    >>> What and for 5 gigs of Updates..
    >>>

    >>> You are Joking..

    >> I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >> nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >> doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >> island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>
    >> IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >> can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >> world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    > So when will you provide me with a Broadband Pent ion...

    My pensioner father seems to be able to afford ADSL.

    EMB, Sep 5, 2007
  15. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:39:48 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:

    >>> I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >>> nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >>> doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >>> island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>>
    >>> IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >>> can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >>> world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    >> So when will you provide me with a Broadband Pent ion...

    >My pensioner father seems to be able to afford ADSL.

    And at what Cap..??

    A 2gig cap is no good when you have to dnload 5 gigs of updates..

    I have a under age wife and that reduces the Pension some what..

    Plus with $435 Rates per 4 months, and House and Contents Insurance leaves some $200 per week to
    live on, and fill the car..

    Have to drop the Ins on the car to 3rd party, State keeps dropping the Value way below replacement
    value and upping the rates..

    They list my 2000 Pulsar at $6000, try to buy one at that price..

    Not every ones living conditions are the same.

    Greg House, Sep 5, 2007
  16. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > A 2gig cap is no good when you have to dnload 5 gigs of updates..

    It's still better than trying to get them over dialup, mate!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 5, 2007
  17. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:

    > And at what Cap..??
    >

    > A 2gig cap is no good when you have to dnload 5 gigs of updates..

    10GB.

    > I have a under age wife and that reduces the Pension some what..

    If you get caught with an under age wife the state will pay to house you
    for a while ;-)

    > Plus with $435 Rates per 4 months, and House and Contents Insurance leaves some $200 per week to
    > live on, and fill the car..
    >
    > Have to drop the Ins on the car to 3rd party, State keeps dropping the Value way below replacement
    > value and upping the rates..
    >
    > They list my 2000 Pulsar at $6000, try to buy one at that price..

    There's a couple on trademe at the moment for that sort of price.
    However retail is what counts for insurance purposes. State will
    respond to phone calls and up the insured value if you hassle them a bit
    (my Dad has to do that every year).

    It's worth your while trying SIS.

    > Not every ones living conditions are the same.

    Agreed.

    EMB, Sep 5, 2007
  18. Greg House

    John Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:22:16 +1200, Greg House wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:00:46 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >>> I'm neither joking nor taking the piss Roger. It's a broadband world
    >>> nowdays. NZ is lagging behind other countries but the online world
    >>> doesn't mark time just because 4 million people on a wee South Pacific
    >>> island haven't joined the 21st century yet.
    >>>
    >>> IIRC you're lucky enough to have Telstra cable available to you so you
    >>> can easily be in the top echelon of NZ broadband users. It's where the
    >>> world is going and you'll either have to evolve or become extinct.

    >>Hey Roger, You had cable installed years ago, how come you're now on
    >>dialup?

    > I got Married...

    First laugh for the day:)

    John, Sep 5, 2007