    Does anyone know any details about Hitwise - www.hitwise.co.nz - Ive been
    told that it doesnt inclue Xtra, Ihug and Clear

    Can anyone confirm this?
    Andrew, Aug 4, 2003

  2. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:dbiXa.9009$...
    > Does anyone know any details about Hitwise - www.hitwise.co.nz - Ive been
    > told that it doesnt inclue Xtra, Ihug and Clear
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this?

    A little OT, but they don't even reply e-mails...

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    mobility, wireless, handhelds: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Howard Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Does anyone know any details about Hitwise - www.hitwise.co.nz - Ive
    > been told that it doesnt inclue Xtra, Ihug and Clear

    I asked their rep during his pitch to me, and while he wouldn't confirm it,
    his reply that they"still have a respresentative sample" rather indicates it
    true. All in all a rather expensive service for very little insight, so I
    didn't buy.

    The chap did leave his logon ID & password in plaintext in my cookies though
    ;-).
    Howard, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Also off topic, but on your topic..
    I contacted them a long time ago, my website had only been in the database a
    few weeks... so there was not much data... now im kinda interested again,
    asked for another demo and they havnt replied... 3 weeks ago now...

    Andrew, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Max Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:08:31 +1200, "Howard" <>
    wrote:

    >The chap did leave his logon ID & password in plaintext in my cookies though
    >;-).

    Do you know if you have to pay to have your site just monitored with
    them. I did sign up through their website for my site to be monitored
    and compared against. Also does anyone know what different sites
    statistics are. I noticed on pp.co.nz website, that their site is one
    of the most visited, but it doesn't say how many people visited it,
    and how many others were being monitored.
    Max, Aug 4, 2003
  6. "Max" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:08:31 +1200, "Howard" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >The chap did leave his logon ID & password in plaintext in my cookies

    though
    > >;-).

    > Do you know if you have to pay to have your site just monitored with
    > them. I did sign up through their website for my site to be monitored
    > and compared against. Also does anyone know what different sites
    > statistics are. I noticed on pp.co.nz website, that their site is one
    > of the most visited, but it doesn't say how many people visited it,
    > and how many others were being monitored.

    That's what I wanted for Geekzone. I know I'm serving more than 200,000
    pages a month now, but I wanted a better idea of the landscape in this
    area - no joy.

    Registered on their site, got no e-mail or contact back.

    They're probably too busy to take new customers or just don't care about
    this anyway.

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Update!

    Just got a phone call from Hitwise. The office in NZ was closed (as their
    site points out), and the Australian folks are working on the backlog of
    e-mails and contacts now...

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 5, 2003
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    didnt notice the NZ site was closed.. did they give a reason for it?

    Andrew, Aug 5, 2003
  9. "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > > Update!
    > >
    > > Just got a phone call from Hitwise. The office in NZ was closed (as

    their
    > > site points out), and the Australian folks are working on the backlog of
    > > e-mails and contacts now...
    > >

    > didnt notice the NZ site was closed.. did they give a reason for it?

    The site is up, but the NZ office closed a couple of months ago, and
    everything is from Australia now...

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Max Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:43:47 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> > Update!
    >> >
    >> > Just got a phone call from Hitwise. The office in NZ was closed (as

    >their
    >> > site points out), and the Australian folks are working on the backlog of
    >> > e-mails and contacts now...
    >> >

    >> didnt notice the NZ site was closed.. did they give a reason for it?

    >The site is up, but the NZ office closed a couple of months ago, and
    >everything is from Australia now...

    Makes it kind of worthless then, if people can't meet up with their
    representatives.
    Max, Aug 5, 2003
  11. Andrew

    will Guest

    > I entered my site a while ago to this
    > http://hitwise.co.nz/ss/contact.html?INT_smo=6, which I thought was
    > the same thing. No one ever got back to me. It also says you don't
    > need to be a client to qualify which begs the question as to what I
    > actually signed up for.

    #### if it's about the "Top 10 Award Registration", i think once you've
    registered, your site will be place in a database automatically, where
    it keeps records of hits etc etc.

    At the end of each quarter it generates the Top 10 most visited site in
    each category, and IF you're in the Top 10, you'll get an email plus a
    URL to retrieve your award logo (similar to www.dse.co.nz's awards).

    so basically you can't request your stats even though they must have it
    somewhere in order to compare, unless of course you sign up one of the
    paid services.

    i 'registered' for my company a while back and thought that they'll send
    me quarterly stats, only to find out it is not.

    hope this helps.

    will.
    will, Aug 5, 2003
  12. "will" <> wrote in message

    > > I entered my site a while ago to this
    > > http://hitwise.co.nz/ss/contact.html?INT_smo=6, which I thought was
    > > the same thing. No one ever got back to me. It also says you don't
    > > need to be a client to qualify which begs the question as to what I
    > > actually signed up for.

    > #### if it's about the "Top 10 Award Registration", i think once you've
    > registered, your site will be place in a database automatically, where
    > it keeps records of hits etc etc.
    >
    > At the end of each quarter it generates the Top 10 most visited site in
    > each category, and IF you're in the Top 10, you'll get an email plus a
    > URL to retrieve your award logo (similar to www.dse.co.nz's awards).
    >
    > so basically you can't request your stats even though they must have it
    > somewhere in order to compare, unless of course you sign up one of the
    > paid services.
    >
    > i 'registered' for my company a while back and thought that they'll send
    > me quarterly stats, only to find out it is not.
    >
    > hope this helps.
    >
    > will.

    Helps lots... I did the same, but I contacted today. Actually the person
    told me he's coming to AKL, WLG and CHC in a couple of weeks and is trying
    to arrange meetings.

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 5, 2003
  13. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:56:20 +1200, Max <>
    wrote:

    >Do you know what approximate costs are? I bet it is very expensive. I
    >am sure that many people who are in the top 10 don't even pay for it.

    I keep getting the emails telling me that I'm second in my category
    but they've never offered me the service for free.

    The market for services such as this in NZ would be very small.
    Everyone wants to know where they rank but nobody wants to pay for
    such data.

    The very limited size of the market here is probably why they closed
    down their local offices.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 5, 2003
  14. Andrew

    Max Guest

    Max, Aug 5, 2003
  15. Andrew

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:56:20 +1200, Max <> had
    this to say:

    >Do you know what approximate costs are? I bet it is very expensive. I
    >am sure that many people who are in the top 10 don't even pay for it.

    By memory (and this is just by memory - it was a while ago that they
    approached us) it's around $4000+GST per annum (per category).
    Gurble, Aug 5, 2003
  16. Andrew

    PaulB Guest

    I spoke to Hitwise a while ago about their figures... no, they don't
    have Xtra or ClearNET/Paradise and I suggested that skewed their
    figures. He argued that they still have a huge number of users because
    they access other ISPs and that still gives a good overall population
    but I'm not convinced.

    Hitwise lost out to Red Sheriff in a tender sent out by an online
    publishers group - after AC Neilsen decided to close its NZ office and
    try to run its panel from Australia (a panel of home users, not office
    users so that won't be accurate either) they wanted a replacement
    ratings scheme everyone can use. Red Sheriff adds a couple of lines of
    code to your site (once you sign up) and monitors traffic that way.

    Hitwise's model is a good one - get the traffic logs from the ISP -
    but without the support of the big ISPs you really don't get good
    figures I don't believe.

    Red Sheriff charges a set amount a month for basic access/inclusion -
    or you can pay a truckload more for the full breakdown (what the user
    was wearing when they surfed your site etc). Obviously it's only
    comparing sites that have signed up rather than all traffic but it's
    better than nothing I guess.
    PaulB, Aug 6, 2003
  17. Andrew

    Max Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:38:28 +1200, Bruce Simpson
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:56:20 +1200, Max <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Do you know what approximate costs are? I bet it is very expensive. I
    >>am sure that many people who are in the top 10 don't even pay for it.

    >I keep getting the emails telling me that I'm second in my category
    >but they've never offered me the service for free.
    >
    >The market for services such as this in NZ would be very small.
    >Everyone wants to know where they rank but nobody wants to pay for
    >such data.
    >
    >The very limited size of the market here is probably why they closed
    >down their local offices.

    Basically the main advantage of the service to me, would be displaying
    the banner on the website site saying that you are second in your
    catergory. I don't think you need to be a member of hitwise to display
    the banner. The banners gives reassurance to the visitor that the site
    is popular and creditable . I can't really see many more benefits in
    the hitwise system, apart from seeing how your competitors measure up
    which isn't always that useful. Really it seems top be more talk than
    anything.
    Max, Aug 6, 2003
  18. Andrew

    Harley Giles Guest

    Hi Andrew, Mauricio and fellow newsgroup members,

    Upon reading the recent posts regarding Hitwise I thought it would be a good
    idea to answer some of the questions raised, my role at Hitwise is
    International Business Development and I also handle all ISP relations.

    We are currently monitoring approximately 22% of all internet users in the
    New Zealand market through relationships we have with a range of very large
    to medium and some small ISPs. Our sample size over the past three years has
    reached up to 40%-45% of the market, however we are comfortable that the
    current level is suitable to provide our competitive intelligence service.
    As mentioned in the newsgroup our sample is representative of the online
    population in New Zealand with regard to the regional location of and
    participation of internet users. (i.e. we monitor users in all capital
    cities, small town areas and rural areas - we also weight this data to be
    representative of the internet penetration within those regions)

    Unfortunately we are unable to reveal the identify of our ISP partners for
    various reasons with the two main ones being confidentiality and data
    integrity. All of our agreements with our ISP partners are confidential and
    therefore we do not reveal the identify of our suppliers. We also maintain
    confidentiality of these suppliers in order to maintain the integrity of our
    data. In much the same way that any market research company do not divulge
    the name of their panellists, Hitwise does not reveal the names its
    partners. Our processes and data integrity is audited by Price WaterHouse
    Coopers on a quarterly basis.

    We recently started servicing our 60 odd New Zealand clients from our
    Australian headquarters. We chose to service the New Zealand market from
    Australia rather then appoint a 're-seller' as we had done in the past.
    There will be a Hitwise Business Development Manager based in New Zealand in
    the near future - we are in the process of finding the most suitable person
    for this role.

    Including our New Zealand sample we are now monitoring in excess of 25
    million internet users via our ISP partner networks in Australia, Hong Kong,
    the United Kingdom, Singapore and most recently the USA.

    I note that some of you are awaiting a response from our sales team with
    regard to Hitwise enquiries and I have raised this with them to speed up the
    process. I expect them to contact to you in the very near future.

    Should anyone else have any questions, or require clarification on some of
    these issues please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

    Kind Regards

    HARLEY GILES
    International Business Development

    Hitwise Pty Ltd
    Level 7
    580 St. Kilda Road
    Melbourne, Victoria 3004
    AUSTRALIA

    Phone: +61 3 8530 2400
    Mobile: +61 413 936 436

    Harley Giles, Aug 6, 2003
  19. Andrew

    Max Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:58:33 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"Max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:38:28 +1200, Bruce Simpson
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I keep getting the emails telling me that I'm second in my category
    >> >but they've never offered me the service for free.

    >> Basically the main advantage of the service to me, would be displaying
    >> the banner on the website site saying that you are second in your
    >> catergory. I don't think you need to be a member of hitwise to display
    >> the banner. The banners gives reassurance to the visitor that the site
    >> is popular and creditable . I can't really see many more benefits in
    >> the hitwise system, apart from seeing how your competitors measure up
    >> which isn't always that useful. Really it seems top be more talk than
    >> anything.

    >Or think about this:
    >
    >I know part of my users leave Geekzone and go to Handango, Vodafone, O2,
    >Verizon. Great. They read a review and decided to buy a product or get even
    >more info. If they go to Handango, I can get a commision, being a partner.
    >If they go to Vodafone, O2 or Verizon I can get a sponsorship, being such a
    >good boy.
    >
    >Now, I find out that some users leave Geekzone and go to PocketPCThoughts,
    >Slashdot, PocketMinds. Hmmm. What is this that they find here, and need to
    >go somewhere else to find even more? What if I can change my strategy and
    >retain the reader for another page in my site?
    >
    >In terms of marketing this is another opportunity to present then with
    >content, targeted content, more related information. Simply put this will
    >enable my site to jump from 200,000 page views a month to 250,000 page views
    >a month. How do I know that? Because I know how many pages each unique user
    >reads on my saite before going out.
    >
    >I know how they find me, and I have to make it easier to them to get to my
    >site. But I don't know why they leave me. I want to retain more. Marketing?

    I can certainly see how it would be an advantage to you, and also many
    other companies. I have got a very good stats program that allows me
    to do some of those things, as well as monitoring how people navigate
    through my site and use it, which works well for me at this stage, so
    i don't need to use a third party. If I was a large company, I would
    certainly look at a hitwise system as it would surely pay for itself.
    Max, Aug 6, 2003
  20. "Max" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:58:33 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    >
    > I can certainly see how it would be an advantage to you, and also many
    > other companies. I have got a very good stats program that allows me
    > to do some of those things, as well as monitoring how people navigate
    > through my site and use it, which works well for me at this stage, so
    > i don't need to use a third party. If I was a large company, I would
    > certainly look at a hitwise system as it would surely pay for itself.

    Oh, no... I'm not a big company either - my site is a personal thing - just
    need to have some revenue to pay the hosting :)

    I use Analog and a couple of other tools to go thru my logs (a few million
    lines of log I tell you) and gather some intelligence - but I still don't
    know where people go AFTER they leave my site. Services like Hitwise
    actually work with ISP to monitor this kind of stuff (see the other posting
    by Harley).

    I'm not on the way to contract them. I don't have funds for this. But a good
    insight would be something interesting to have. But things change so
    quickly, that what I know today may not hold true next week.

    What's your site?

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 6, 2003