    plus McAfee AV and Zone Alarm.

    Any ideas so I don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system?

    Edw.

    Special Ed, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Special Ed

    Budweiser Guest

    "Special Ed" <ed@spl-edu> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dell Dimension 8400, WP Home/SP 2, 1.5 gig memory, fire walled,
    > virus/spywared with WPA2 protected wireless LAN.
    >
    > It boots normally to the Welcome Screen, I put my password in and it
    > just sits there for 2-3 minutes. Then the desktop appears-- but with
    > no icons. After another 2-3 minutes, the icons appear. Then all is
    > normal-- until I reboot. Same cycle.
    >
    > I eliminated most stuff from msconfig/startup except the necessary
    > stuff plus McAfee AV and Zone Alarm.
    >
    > Any ideas so I don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system?
    >
    > Edw.

    Just seen this on a system yesterday----the Dell reference is imaterial.
    Turned out to be the AV prog scanning all at boot,then scanning all once
    the user has been chosen.

    If you can work out how to alter the settings in your AV fine--adjust
    them.
    If not,remove your firewall and av --not dissable,uninstall.
    reboot
    Has that resolved the issue?--If so re-install av etc and pay attention
    to the settings--not forgeting to update them again .

    Budweiser, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Special Ed

    Special Ed Guest

    "Budweiser" <> wrote in message

    > "Special Ed" <ed@spl-edu> wrote in message
    >> Dell Dimension 8400, WP Home/SP 2, 1.5 gig memory, fire walled,
    >> virus/spywared with WPA2 protected wireless LAN.
    >>
    >> It boots normally to the Welcome Screen, I put my password in and it just
    >> sits there for 2-3 minutes. Then the desktop appears-- but with no icons.
    >> After another 2-3 minutes, the icons appear. Then all is normal-- until I
    >> reboot. Same cycle.
    >>
    >> I eliminated most stuff from msconfig/startup except the necessary stuff
    >> plus McAfee AV and Zone Alarm.
    >>
    >> Any ideas so I don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system?
    >>
    >> Edw.
    >>

    > Just seen this on a system yesterday----the Dell reference is imaterial.
    > Turned out to be the AV prog scanning all at boot,then scanning all once
    > the user has been chosen.
    >
    > If you can work out how to alter the settings in your AV fine--adjust
    > them.
    > If not,remove your firewall and av --not dissable,uninstall.
    > reboot
    > Has that resolved the issue?--If so re-install av etc and pay attention to
    > the settings--not forgeting to update them again .

    Spot on suggestion! I disabled McAfee AV's "start at bootup" option and got
    several normal boots. I then re-enabled it and all is back to normal.

    Thanks!

    Edw.

    Special Ed, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Special Ed

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Special Ed <ed@spl-edu> wrote in message
    <>...

    > Dell Dimension 8400, WP Home/SP 2, 1.

    1?

    > 5 gig memory, fire walled, virus/spywared with WPA2 protected wireless
    > LAN.

    I wouldn't know about that but I can tell you don't jump in the middle
    of another thread.

    > It boots normally to the Welcome Screen, I put my password in and it
    > just sits there for 2-3 minutes.

    It's intimidating, isn't it?

    > Then the desktop appears-- but with no icons.

    Your signature separator is NOT Usenet Compliant!

    > After another 2-3 minutes, the icons appear.

    I suspect your post makes perfect sense only after consuming a few of
    those funny biscuits they sell at 'alternative gatherings.' Very odd.

    > Then all is normal-- until I reboot.

    Get rid of SP2.

    > Same cycle.

    I just want to pull it over and watch it while I work on the computer.

    > I'll just keep trying to make witty comments.

    Really, Ed?

    > I eliminated most stuff from msconfig/startup except the necessary
    > stuff plus McAfee AV and Zone Alarm.

    Is it really necessary?

    > Any ideas so I don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system?

    You don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system? Why not?

    > Edw.

    You tried it twice. Try something else.

    > This anxiety makes me want to die.

    Really, Ed?

    --
    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 8, 2006
  5. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > Special Ed <ed@spl-edu> wrote in message
    > <>...
    >> Dell Dimension 8400, WP Home/SP 2, 1.

    > 1?
    >
    >> 5 gig memory, fire walled, virus/spywared with WPA2 protected wireless
    >> LAN.

    > I wouldn't know about that but I can tell you don't jump in the middle
    > of another thread.
    >
    >> It boots normally to the Welcome Screen, I put my password in and it
    >> just sits there for 2-3 minutes.

    > It's intimidating, isn't it?
    >
    >> Then the desktop appears-- but with no icons.

    > Your signature separator is NOT Usenet Compliant!
    >
    >> After another 2-3 minutes, the icons appear.

    > I suspect your post makes perfect sense only after consuming a few of
    > those funny biscuits they sell at 'alternative gatherings.' Very odd.
    >
    >> Then all is normal-- until I reboot.

    > Get rid of SP2.
    >
    >> Same cycle.

    > I just want to pull it over and watch it while I work on the computer.
    >
    >> I'll just keep trying to make witty comments.

    > Really, Ed?
    >
    >> I eliminated most stuff from msconfig/startup except the necessary
    >> stuff plus McAfee AV and Zone Alarm.

    > Is it really necessary?
    >
    >> Any ideas so I don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system?

    > You don't have to reformat/reinstall the operating system? Why not?
    >
    >> Edw.

    > You tried it twice. Try something else.
    >
    >> This anxiety makes me want to die.

    > Really, Ed?
    >
    > --
    > Duane :)

    K-Man or K-Hen-Mammy has laid a rotten egg in your face that is who has made
    the post..

    K-Hen :)

    K-El-Loco-Stanking-Hen-Mammy, Feb 8, 2006