    anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    the settings for each situation.

    , Dec 10, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:43:46 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:

    > I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    > settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    > How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    > anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    > the settings for each situation.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:59:47 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:43:46 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:
    >
    >> I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    >> settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    >> How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    >> anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    >> the settings for each situation.

    >16

    Many thanks for that, MP. Did you just know that or is it
    indicated someplace that I should have seen?

    , Dec 10, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:10:53 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:

    > On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:59:47 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:43:46 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:
    >>
    >>> I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    >>> settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    >>> How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    >>> anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    >>> the settings for each situation.

    >>16

    > Many thanks for that, MP. Did you just know that or is it
    > indicated someplace that I should have seen?

    I have a few Hitachi Deskstar drives and just remember that the normal
    setting is 16 head. 15 head setting is for some systems that that
    translate the logical heads different in drives over 4 gigs.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    > settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    > How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    > anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    > the settings for each situation.

    Since you don't really have 15 or 16 heads in your drive and it's just a
    crutch for legacy OS, you don't really need to care about that.
    Leave it at 16, and select "LBA" or "auto" in your bios during hd setup (if
    that isn't yet the default).

    Walter Mautner, Dec 10, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:35:05 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:10:53 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:
    >
    >> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:59:47 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:43:46 +0000, chuckiebrown Has Frothed:

    >>>16

    >> Many thanks for that, MP. Did you just know that or is it
    >> indicated someplace that I should have seen?

    >I have a few Hitachi Deskstar drives and just remember that the normal
    >setting is 16 head. 15 head setting is for some systems that that
    >translate the logical heads different in drives over 4 gigs.

    Again - my thanks

    , Dec 10, 2006
  7. Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:05:15 +0100, Walter Mautner
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    >> settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    >> How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    >> anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    >> the settings for each situation.

    >Since you don't really have 15 or 16 heads in your drive and it's just a
    >crutch for legacy OS, you don't really need to care about that.
    >Leave it at 16, and select "LBA" or "auto" in your bios during hd setup (if
    >that isn't yet the default).

    Thanks for your reply, Walter. I was more concerned with setting
    the jumpers whichI understand are different depending on the head
    count. The BIOS will be okay - this drive is relpacing another which
    does show now.

    , Dec 10, 2006
  8. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a Hitachi HDD HSD728080PLAT20 that has different jumper
    > settings depending on the number of heads in the drive - 15 or 16..
    > How does one know how many heads are involved? I cannot see
    > anything on the label that indicates this and Hitachi just mentions
    > the settings for each situation.

    That drive only has two heads.

    HOWEVER - for software purposes, it reports 15 or 16 heads, depending on how
    you jumper it.

    For most purposes, 16 heads is the correct jumpering. Some really funky
    machines and BIOSes might not work with 16 heads, so you can jumper to 15 to
    avoid that problem.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 11, 2006