    know what the hell that is
    i only know that there was ATX PSU

    , Jan 23, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
    > know what the hell that is
    > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
    to look into that area.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
    http://www.steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm

    Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
    the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
    "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
    connectors (P8, P9).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply

    Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
    "BAT" thing.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
    > > know what the hell that is
    > > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    > Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
    > to look into that area.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >
    > Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
    > the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
    > "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
    > connectors (P8, P9).
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >
    > Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
    > "BAT" thing.
    >
    >     Paul

    I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
    Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
    something like that
    But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor

    , Jan 24, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message
    On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
    > > know what the hell that is
    > > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    > Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
    > to look into that area.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >
    > Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
    > the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
    > "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
    > connectors (P8, P9).
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >
    > Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
    > "BAT" thing.
    >
    > Paul

    I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
    Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
    something like that
    But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor

    Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another one
    just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be used in.
    You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would be visiting
    the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to Fry's if there
    is one within 30-ish miles.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 24, 2008
  5. Neil Green Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was
    >> > a BAT PSU I dont
    >> > know what the hell that is
    >> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    >> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which
    >> case you might want
    >> to look into that area.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >>
    >> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as
    >> AT was
    >> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply
    >> doesn't have
    >> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into
    >> two
    >> connectors (P8, P9).
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >>
    >> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd
    >> find this
    >> "BAT" thing.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby
    > At.
    > Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
    > AT formfactor. or
    > something like that
    > But I'm looking for a power supply for that
    > motherboard formfactor
    >

    > Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
    > store and buy another one just like it. The
    > form-factor defines the type of system it can be
    > used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy,
    > but I think I would be visiting the computer repair
    > guy down on the corner, or take a trip to Fry's if
    > there is one within 30-ish miles.

    Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not generally
    available at the local computer store, and maybe it's
    one of these the OP is referring to, and they are
    generally smaller than standard.
    Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which
    encourages people to source parts from licensed
    resellers at exhorbitant prices.
    These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics but
    not easily, so most users pay double or even triple
    the price of a standard PSU when replacing them.
    A good argument for buying a non branded PC.

    Neil Green, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Neil Green Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a
    > BAT PSU I dont
    > know what the hell that is
    > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    It's possible that this refers to a baby AT power
    supply, although these are now pretty much obsolete.
    What is the make and model of the PC?

    Neil Green, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
    >> > know what the hell that is
    >> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

    >> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
    >> to look into that area.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >>

    >> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
    >> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
    >> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
    >> connectors (P8, P9).
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >>
    >> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
    >> "BAT" thing.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
    > Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
    > something like that
    > But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor
    >
    > Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another
    > one just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be
    > used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would
    > be visiting the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip
    > to Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

    This page claims AT and baby AT have the same P8 and P9 wiring.

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30273&seqNum=4

    P8 and P9 are two six pin connectors.

    http://www.informit.com/content/images/chap3_078972927X/elementLinks/03fig06.jpg

    I see a baby AT for sale here, and they say the dimensions are 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4".
    ATX is 150 x 140 x 80mm (5.9" x 5.5" x 3.15"). I expect screw holes and other
    mechanical details would cause issues as well. ATX connectors are different
    than AT. (One other web page mentioned there are a couple form factors for
    AT supplies, and one of those AT types has quite large dimensions. Measuring
    the dimensions of the original supply would be a good place to start, and
    comparing the power rating is also important. This supply even has a minimum
    load spec, which means it doesn't regulate well if less than the minimum current
    is drawn.

    http://www.cybertronpc.com/Itemdesc~ic~POW-ANT-PP300V~eq~~Tp~~PCc~POWER.htm
    http://www.nextag.com/Antec-300W-BAT-PS2-94731/prices-html

    http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23004
    +5V @ 30A, -5V @ 1A, +12V @ 10A, -12V @ 1A

    I also haven't figured out how you turn it on and off :)
    I guess it is just before my time.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 24, 2008
  8. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
    >>> to look into that area.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >>>
    >>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
    >>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
    >>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
    >>> connectors (P8, P9).
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
    >>> "BAT" thing.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
    >> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
    >> something like that
    >> But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor
    >>

    >> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another
    >> one just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be
    >> used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would
    >> be visiting the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
    >> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

    > Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not generally available at the
    > local computer store, and maybe it's one of these the OP is referring to,
    > and they are generally smaller than standard.
    > Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which encourages people to source
    > parts from licensed resellers at exhorbitant prices.
    > These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics but not easily, so most
    > users pay double or even triple the price of a standard PSU when replacing
    > them.
    > A good argument for buying a non branded PC.

    I hear what you are saying, but I've replaced 3 or 4 power supplies in HP
    and E-machine machines, and I easily sourced them from the repair guy that
    has an office in the strip mall down the street.

    Having said that, if the power supply can not be sourced locally, then
    perhaps the machine has outlived its usefullness, and a shiney new
    Vista-based product is in the future of the OP ...

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 24, 2008
  9. Neil Green Guest

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >> message news:g07mj.792$hM4.163@trnddc07...
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for
    >>> Baby At.
    >>> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
    >>> AT formfactor. or
    >>> something like that
    >>> But I'm looking for a power supply for that
    >>> motherboard formfactor
    >>>

    >>> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
    >>> store and buy another one just like it. The
    >>> form-factor defines the type of system it can be
    >>> used in. You may find your power supply at Best
    >>> Buy, but I think I would be visiting the computer
    >>> repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
    >>> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

    >> Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not
    >> generally available at the local computer store,
    >> and maybe it's one of these the OP is referring to,
    >> and they are generally smaller than standard.
    >> Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which
    >> encourages people to source parts from licensed
    >> resellers at exhorbitant prices.
    >> These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics
    >> but not easily, so most users pay double or even
    >> triple the price of a standard PSU when replacing
    >> them.
    >> A good argument for buying a non branded PC.
    >>

    > I hear what you are saying, but I've replaced 3 or 4
    > power supplies in HP and E-machine machines, and I
    > easily sourced them from the repair guy that has an
    > office in the strip mall down the street.
    >
    > Having said that, if the power supply can not be
    > sourced locally, then perhaps the machine has
    > outlived its usefullness, and a shiney new
    > Vista-based product is in the future of the OP ...

    Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it
    could well still be viable.
    Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's
    designed specifically for a particular case, but these
    can still be sourced after market for a reasonable
    price, it depends where he or she is located.
    On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as
    opposed to XP?
    I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling
    reason, so I'd be interested to hear what you consider
    the advantages to be.

    Neil Green, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Neil Green Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which
    >>> case you might want
    >>> to look into that area.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...steve-w.dircon.co.uk/fleadh/mphil/history.htm
    >>>
    >>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as
    >>> AT was
    >>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply
    >>> doesn't have
    >>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into
    >>> two
    >>> connectors (P8, P9).
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd
    >>> find this
    >>> "BAT" thing.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby
    >> At.
    >> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
    >> AT formfactor. or
    >> something like that
    >> But I'm looking for a power supply for that
    >> motherboard formfactor
    >>
    >> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
    >> store and buy another one just like it. The
    >> form-factor defines the type of system it can be
    >> used in. You may find your power supply at Best
    >> Buy, but I think I would be visiting the computer
    >> repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
    >> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.
    >>

    > This page claims AT and baby AT have the same P8 and
    > P9 wiring.
    >
    > http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30273&seqNum=4
    >
    > P8 and P9 are two six pin connectors.
    >
    > http://www.informit.com/content/images/chap3_078972927X/elementLinks/03fig06.jpg
    >
    > I see a baby AT for sale here, and they say the
    > dimensions are 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4".
    > ATX is 150 x 140 x 80mm (5.9" x 5.5" x 3.15"). I
    > expect screw holes and other
    > mechanical details would cause issues as well. ATX
    > connectors are different
    > than AT. (One other web page mentioned there are a
    > couple form factors for
    > AT supplies, and one of those AT types has quite
    > large dimensions. Measuring
    > the dimensions of the original supply would be a
    > good place to start, and
    > comparing the power rating is also important. This
    > supply even has a minimum
    > load spec, which means it doesn't regulate well if
    > less than the minimum current
    > is drawn.
    >
    > http://www.cybertronpc.com/Itemdesc~ic~POW-ANT-PP300V~eq~~Tp~~PCc~POWER.htm
    > http://www.nextag.com/Antec-300W-BAT-PS2-94731/prices-html
    >
    > http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23004
    > +5V @ 30A, -5V @ 1A, +12V @ 10A, -12V @ 1A
    >
    > I also haven't figured out how you turn it on and
    > off :)
    > I guess it is just before my time.

    Switched on and off by the power switch on the case.
    Before Bill came up with start/turn off/
    logoff/standby/go watch a movie/shutdown :)
    Ah, for the days of DOS.

    Neil Green, Jan 25, 2008
  11. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it could well still be
    > viable.
    > Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's designed specifically for a
    > particular case, but these can still be sourced after market for a
    > reasonable price, it depends where he or she is located.
    > On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as opposed to XP?

    I have Vista Home, and it works okay. The OS seems robust enough, but the
    user interface is different than past Windows products.

    It is able to take advantage of the wide screen monitor -- there are useful
    programs that run on the edge of the screen -- better than XP. All told
    though, I think I prefer XP Pro to Vista. Having said that, my Vista machine
    is in a common area in my home, and I do not use it much, and I have a
    dedicated machine that nobody else in my house uses that runs XP.

    When I set up my network, Vista does stuff by itself, and I found it to be
    confusing because I want to do things that I find have already been done. I
    also find the dialog boxes have been changed -- Add and Remove Programs is
    no longer there, and the icon that does this job is in Personal Settings, or
    some such place. Vista makes sense, sorta, and if you have no prior Windows
    experience, Vista is fine. The trouble I have is that I have lots of Windows
    experience, and Vista is nothing like the experience I already have.

    Vista to XP is sort of like the similarities in IE7 and IE6. IE7 works okay,
    but it is so much different than IE6, I'm resisting the change for as long
    as I can.

    > I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling reason, so I'd be
    > interested to hear what you consider the advantages to be.

    I migrated because they do not sell machines with XP anymore. I bought a new
    machine over the summer, and it came loaded with Vista. I thought about
    wiping the hard drive and installing XP, but the way they validate the OS
    would mean I would have to pay another license fee. I have not found any
    issues relative to the peripherials and Vista, but I've heard there are
    some. My new machine also came with Office 2007 (which I think is
    exclusively intended for use with Vista). It was a teaser copy that I have
    to activate and pay a fee to use after 90 days. I removed it and installed
    Office 2003, which is the version they came out with for XP. Office XP works
    fine on my Vista machine.

    I would not encourage anybody to make the change for the sake of making a
    change. If your machine goes belly up and you have to replace it, then you
    will probably be forced to make the change to Vista at that time. Or, if you
    simply need to add a machine to your fleet, you will likely be forced to add
    a Vista machine. My Vista machine plays reasonably well with my XP Home and
    XP Pro machines.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 25, 2008
  12. Neil Green Guest

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it
    >> could well still be viable.
    >> Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's
    >> designed specifically for a particular case, but
    >> these can still be sourced after market for a
    >> reasonable price, it depends where he or she is
    >> located.
    >> On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as
    >> opposed to XP?

    > I have Vista Home, and it works okay. The OS seems
    > robust enough, but the user interface is different
    > than past Windows products.
    >
    > It is able to take advantage of the wide screen
    > monitor -- there are useful programs that run on the
    > edge of the screen -- better than XP. All told
    > though, I think I prefer XP Pro to Vista. Having
    > said that, my Vista machine is in a common area in
    > my home, and I do not use it much, and I have a
    > dedicated machine that nobody else in my house uses
    > that runs XP.
    >
    > When I set up my network, Vista does stuff by
    > itself, and I found it to be confusing because I
    > want to do things that I find have already been
    > done. I also find the dialog boxes have been
    > changed -- Add and Remove Programs is no longer
    > there, and the icon that does this job is in
    > Personal Settings, or some such place. Vista makes
    > sense, sorta, and if you have no prior Windows
    > experience, Vista is fine. The trouble I have is
    > that I have lots of Windows experience, and Vista is
    > nothing like the experience I already have.
    >
    > Vista to XP is sort of like the similarities in IE7
    > and IE6. IE7 works okay, but it is so much different
    > than IE6, I'm resisting the change for as long as I
    > can.

    I'm using IE7 here and far prefer it to IE6, but to
    each their own.

    >> I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling
    >> reason, so I'd be interested to hear what you
    >> consider the advantages to be.
    >>

    > I migrated because they do not sell machines with XP
    > anymore. I bought a new machine over the summer, and
    > it came loaded with Vista. I thought about wiping
    > the hard drive and installing XP, but the way they
    > validate the OS would mean I would have to pay
    > another license fee. I have not found any issues
    > relative to the peripherials and Vista, but I've
    > heard there are some. My new machine also came with
    > Office 2007 (which I think is exclusively intended
    > for use with Vista). It was a teaser copy that I
    > have to activate and pay a fee to use after 90 days.
    > I removed it and installed Office 2003, which is the
    > version they came out with for XP. Office XP works
    > fine on my Vista machine.
    >
    > I would not encourage anybody to make the change for
    > the sake of making a change. If your machine goes
    > belly up and you have to replace it, then you will
    > probably be forced to make the change to Vista at
    > that time. Or, if you simply need to add a machine
    > to your fleet, you will likely be forced to add a
    > Vista machine. My Vista machine plays reasonably
    > well with my XP Home and XP Pro machines.

    That's pretty much as I thought.
    I recently built a new machine which would run Vista
    easily but all the people I've spoken to have
    suggested that it's probably not worth the trouble or
    expense.
    I have a volume license key for XP Pro through work so
    it installed on the new machine without any problems
    but if I wanted to run Vista it would be at my
    expense.
    As far as Office goes I was using Office 97 until
    recently which was pefectly capable for my purposes.
    I'm not sure what Office 2007 does but most users
    would be lucky to use 20% of the features.
    If and when MS stop supporting XP and there's no
    alternative to a new OS I may seriously consider
    Linux, which should be quite user friendly by then.

    Neil Green, Jan 25, 2008