    The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which they're
    selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake on
    Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    JONA99, Feb 22, 2004

  2. JONA99

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

    they're
    > selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake

    on
    > Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!

    Jay Stewart, Feb 22, 2004

  3. JONA99

    Haans Guest

    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message

    > "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > > The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

    > they're
    > > selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a

    mistake
    > on
    > > Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    > I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!

    Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....

    Haans, Feb 22, 2004
  4. JONA99

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Haans" <> wrote in message

    > "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > > > The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

    > > they're
    > > > selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a

    > mistake
    > > on
    > > > Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    > > I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!
    > >

    > Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....

    Come on, now, how sure are we that this is even worth $5.99? Consider the
    source (the company that owns Laserlight). This is probably a lot of the
    same stuff that was in the infamous "Total Movie" box. Horrible, incomplete
    transfers of VHS copies of public domain movies.

    I'm not claiming I know anything one way or another. Just that even if the
    orders go through you may end up with something not worth watching. Not that
    you're risking much to find out...

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 22, 2004
  5. JONA99

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > "Haans" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > > > they're

    > > mistake
    > > > on
    > > >
    > > > I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads

    up!

    > > Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....
    > >

    > Come on, now, how sure are we that this is even worth $5.99? Consider the
    > source (the company that owns Laserlight). This is probably a lot of the
    > same stuff that was in the infamous "Total Movie" box. Horrible,

    incomplete
    > transfers of VHS copies of public domain movies.
    >
    > I'm not claiming I know anything one way or another. Just that even if the
    > orders go through you may end up with something not worth watching. Not

    that
    > you're risking much to find out...
    >
    > RichC

    Maybe it is twelve discs of massive sucking - you have certainly lowered my
    expectations. But it's worth risking $6.00 (plus shipping) on even if there
    are only a few good moments. Besides, I'm sure it will be worth at least
    that price on a re-sale.

    Jay Stewart, Feb 22, 2004
  6. JONA99

    JONA99 Guest

    Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
    Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd pay 9
    bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

    JONA99, Feb 22, 2004
  7. JONA99

    Rich Clark Guest

    "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
    > Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

    pay 9
    > bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

    I'd be willing to bet it'll be all cardboard and paper packaging.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 22, 2004
  8. JONA99

    Haans Guest

    "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
    > Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

    pay 9
    > bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

    Well, DVDPacific also has this up for preorder. Only they charge $52.01...
    have a feeling Amazon should be charging $59.40 for it, but as long as
    they're not... ;)

    So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?

    Shipping to Norway is actually $6.98, so slightly more expensive than the
    box itself muhahahaha

    Haans, Feb 23, 2004
  9. JONA99

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Haans" <> wrote in message

    > "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation

    from
    > > Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

    > pay 9
    > > bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

    > Well, DVDPacific also has this up for preorder. Only they charge $52.01...
    > have a feeling Amazon should be charging $59.40 for it, but as long as
    > they're not... ;)
    >
    > So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?
    >
    > Shipping to Norway is actually $6.98, so slightly more expensive than the
    > box itself muhahahaha

    .....that's the same as shipping to Canada!

    Jay Stewart, Feb 23, 2004
  10. JONA99

    Rich Clark Guest

    > > So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?

    Yes, and it wouldn't be the first time. Since they don't charge you until
    the item ships, there's no transaction until that happens. Here's a quote
    from their written policy, which covers mis-priced items:

    <<With respect to items sold by Amazon.com, we cannot confirm the price of
    an item until you order; however, we do NOT charge your credit card until
    after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts,
    a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If we discover
    a mispricing, we will do one of the following:

    a.. If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we will
    charge the lower amount and ship you the item.
    b.. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will,
    at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or
    cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation. >>
    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 23, 2004
  11. JONA99

    JR Guest

    doesn't look like paper to me

    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001EFU7I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

    JR, Feb 23, 2004
  12. JONA99

    Rich Clark Guest

    "JR" <> wrote in message
    > doesn't look like paper to me
    >
    > http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001EFU7I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

    Looks like a box.

    The Total Video set also looked like a box. Inside were cardboard sleeves
    with discs in those awful plastic envelopes.

    Once again, I'm just speculating, based on the track record of Laserline and
    the other labels owned by this company.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 23, 2004
  13. JONA99

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "JONA99" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which they're
    >selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake on
    >Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    It's Amazon's #1 selling DVD as of 9:30 Eastern time.

    I sure would like to know what movies are in it -- maybe it was
    staring me right in the face but I sure couldn't find the
    information.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 23, 2004
  14. JONA99

    Justin Guest

    Stan Brown wrote on [Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:23:58 -0500]:
    > It seems "JONA99" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which they're
    >>selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake on
    >>Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    > It's Amazon's #1 selling DVD as of 9:30 Eastern time.
    >
    > I sure would like to know what movies are in it -- maybe it was
    > staring me right in the face but I sure couldn't find the
    > information.

    This is a pre-order item that should ship in the next week or so.
    Includes the following movies: The Beloved Rogue, The Birth of a
    Nation, Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The General,
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Intolerance Metropolis, Nosferatu, The
    Vampire, Orphans of the Storm, The Phantom of the Opera, The Battleship
    Potemkin.

    Justin, Feb 23, 2004
  15. JONA99

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Stan Brown wrote on [Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:23:58 -0500]:
    > > It seems "JONA99" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >>The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

    they're
    > >>selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a

    mistake on
    > >>Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    > > It's Amazon's #1 selling DVD as of 9:30 Eastern time.
    > >
    > > I sure would like to know what movies are in it -- maybe it was
    > > staring me right in the face but I sure couldn't find the
    > > information.

    > This is a pre-order item that should ship in the next week or so.
    > Includes the following movies: The Beloved Rogue, The Birth of a
    > Nation, Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The General,
    > The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Intolerance Metropolis, Nosferatu, The
    > Vampire, Orphans of the Storm, The Phantom of the Opera, The Battleship
    > Potemkin.

    All in the public domain, from the silent era, so you can just guess at the
    quality of the presentation. Still, for $6...<shrug>

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 23, 2004
  16. Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It seems "JONA99" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which they're
    > >selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake on
    > >Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

    > It's Amazon's #1 selling DVD as of 9:30 Eastern time.
    >
    > I sure would like to know what movies are in it -- maybe it was
    > staring me right in the face but I sure couldn't find the
    > information.

    Here's a complete list:

    # The Beloved Rogue
    # The Birth of a Nation
    # Cabinet Of Dr Caligari
    # Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    # The General
    # The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    # Intolerance
    # Metropolis
    # Nosferatu, The Vampire
    # Orphans of the Storm
    # The Phantom of the Opera
    # The Battleship Potemkin

    This is as per Barnes & Noble, where it is listed at $80.99

    http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=18111913393&FRM=0&itm=19

    KM

    Kenneth Molen, Feb 23, 2004
  17. JONA99

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Kenneth Molen" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I sure would like to know what movies are in it -- maybe it was
    >> staring me right in the face but I sure couldn't find the
    >> information.

    >Here's a complete list:

    [snip]
    >This is as per Barnes & Noble, where it is listed at $80.99
    >http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=18111913393&FRM=0&itm=19

    Thanks!

    I didn't think of looking elsewhere for a description, and I'm
    embarrassed; but now I have a useful technique that I'll never
    forget. :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 23, 2004
  18. JONA99

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message

    > This is a pre-order item that should ship in the next week or so.
    > Includes the following movies: The Beloved Rogue, The Birth
    > of a Nation, Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,
    > The General, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Intolerance
    > Metropolis, Nosferatu, The Vampire, Orphans of the Storm,
    > The Phantom of the Opera, The Battleship Potemkin.

    <<All in the public domain, from the silent era, so you can just guess
    at the quality of the presentation. Still, for $6...<shrug> Mike>>

    The focus (or lack of focus) of this set seems to be on quantity
    rather than quality.You don't need to guess the "quality" anymore,
    if this 1-Star review from the Amazon page is accurate:

    History of Cinema (12 DVD)
    List Price: $89.99
    Price: $5.94 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over
    $25. See details.
    You Save: $84.05 (93%)

    More like "history of lousy public domain copies", February 22, 2004

    Reviewer: Robert Berry (see more about me) from Sacramento, CA United
    States

    "Ugh...just another rehash of low quality VHS to DVD dubs of public
    domain films that any joker with a DVD-R could make and sell royalty
    free. If you truly appreciate the history of these films, go find the
    special versions that have been restored, if possible. ... "

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/002-6942162-8518435?v=glance&s=dvd

    Scot Gardner, Feb 23, 2004
  19. JONA99

    Patrick Neve Guest

    It's no longer orderable, listed now as "out of stock".
    The question is, did they sell out of all their allotted pre-orders, or
    just cancel the item?

    Patrick Neve, Feb 23, 2004
  20. JONA99

    Ken Dodaro Guest

    I went to Amazon after reading about the set on this newsgroup. I saw
    that they were out of stock. I clicked on a few things of interest,
    and then I ended up going back to the History of Cinema set. I saw
    that I could pre-order it for the $5.94 price. I pre-ordered it. I
    paid the shipping, which was about half the price of the set. I
    received my email confirmation. Now, I will wait and see if they
    honor the price.

    I went back to Amazon to check on my order, and I saw that the price
    of the History of Cinema set changed. It is now listed at $76.49. It
    is still listed in my Recent Orders as costing me $5.94. I guess I
    will wait and see what happens.

    Ken Dodaro, Feb 23, 2004