    include the Apple symbols.)
    --

    Chas Right

    Charlie Right, Jun 26, 2005

  2. In <> Charlie Right wrote:
    > Go to Tricky Dickie's
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront
    >
    > and ask for a search for "Mac"
    >
    > Ngaaa!!!
    >
    > Last time DSE tried to sell Macs it was a total shambles. The display
    > models spent most of their time in a state of 'completely stuffed',
    > the staff wouldn't have known a Mac if it leapt up and bit them on
    > the bum.
    >
    > Why does this fill me with FUD?
    >
    > (Note that Apple Store and Magnum have a similar deal to the MiniMac/K/
    > M and 15" LCD. Costs a little more but includes a quite nice 17"
    > Philips LCD (in silver to match the Mini) and Apple wired K/M. I'd
    > prefer the Belkin wireless K/M to the Microsoft because its keys are
    > configured to include the Apple symbols.)

    Trust Dick Smith to take a nice-looking white computer and bundle it
    with a black monitor, keyboard and mouse. And the monitor only has an
    analogue RGB input! Welcome back to the 20th century.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Charlie Right

    Guest

    Well if you're buying a Mac coz it looks good maybe. But I was under
    the impression Mac OS X is the best thing ever and Macs are the best
    thing ever etc etc not because of the looks but because of
    functionality, seed, etc. Personally, I think it's mostly bull but
    regardless if what Mac fanboys keep telling us is true, then someone
    who wants all this advanced goodness but doesn't give a damn about what
    it looks will be mroe then pleased.. Besides isn't one of the ideas of
    the Mac mini that it's easy to hide so if you prefer black and don't
    want to show of the ugly POS that IMHO the Mac minis are, this will be
    better.

    I would agree tho that using an analog input LCD is not the best but
    then LCDs are still quite crappy compared to CRTs in so many areas
    (other then space) so if you're going to go for LCDs, it would be
    better to get a good LCD with analog input then a crappy LCD with
    digital input (I don't know if it is a good LCD but this is a good
    point). It def isn't 20th century.

    , Jun 26, 2005
  4. Charlie Right

    thing2 Guest

    Charlie Right wrote:
    > Go to Tricky Dickie's
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront
    >
    > and ask for a search for "Mac"
    >
    > Ngaaa!!!
    >
    > Last time DSE tried to sell Macs it was a total shambles. The display
    > models spent most of their time in a state of 'completely stuffed', the
    > staff wouldn't have known a Mac if it leapt up and bit them on the bum.
    >
    > Why does this fill me with FUD?
    >
    > (Note that Apple Store and Magnum have a similar deal to the MiniMac/K/M
    > and 15" LCD. Costs a little more but includes a quite nice 17" Philips
    > LCD (in silver to match the Mini) and Apple wired K/M. I'd prefer the
    > Belkin wireless K/M to the Microsoft because its keys are configured to
    > include the Apple symbols.)

    Competition, so you get more choice, if you want the Magnum mac deal go
    for it. I know what I am looking for, so I shop on price, if DSE is 10%
    cheaper for a Mac I will buy there.

    Also consider DES's no quibble guarantees, trying to deal with Apple
    re-sellers is not nice and too expensive....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Charlie Right

    thing2 Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Charlie Right wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Tricky Dickie's
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront
    >>
    >> and ask for a search for "Mac"
    >>
    >> Ngaaa!!!
    >>
    >> Last time DSE tried to sell Macs it was a total shambles. The display
    >> models spent most of their time in a state of 'completely stuffed',
    >> the staff wouldn't have known a Mac if it leapt up and bit them on the
    >> bum.
    >>
    >> Why does this fill me with FUD?
    >>
    >> (Note that Apple Store and Magnum have a similar deal to the
    >> MiniMac/K/M and 15" LCD. Costs a little more but includes a quite nice
    >> 17" Philips LCD (in silver to match the Mini) and Apple wired K/M. I'd
    >> prefer the Belkin wireless K/M to the Microsoft because its keys are
    >> configured to include the Apple symbols.)

    > Competition, so you get more choice, if you want the Magnum mac deal go
    > for it. I know what I am looking for, so I shop on price, if DSE is 10%
    > cheaper for a Mac I will buy there.
    >
    > Also consider DES's no quibble guarantees, trying to deal with Apple
    > re-sellers is not nice and too expensive....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I notice they list the OS as 10.3 though.........

    not good....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 27, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Well if you're buying a Mac coz it looks good maybe.

    That is one of the reasons people buy Macs, true.

    > But I was under
    > the impression Mac OS X is the best thing ever and Macs are the best
    > thing ever etc etc not because of the looks but because of
    > functionality, speed, etc.

    True, OSX is pretty smooth. And it has functionality and speed. Whoever
    said you have to choose between form and function?

    > Personally, I think it's mostly bull but
    > regardless if what Mac fanboys keep telling us is true, then someone
    > who wants all this advanced goodness but doesn't give a damn about what
    > it looks will be mroe then pleased.. Besides isn't one of the ideas of
    > the Mac mini that it's easy to hide so if you prefer black and don't
    > want to show of the ugly POS that IMHO the Mac minis are, this will be
    > better.

    Only a barbarian would want to hide something as elegantly minimalist as
    the Mini?

    I find black monitors are much harder on the eyes. Too much contrast
    between the LCD and the black surround. Of course, it may be possible to
    swap the black Philips for an equivalent silver one.

    > I would agree tho that using an analog input LCD is not the best but
    > then LCDs are still quite crappy compared to CRTs in so many areas
    > (other then space) so if you're going to go for LCDs, it would be
    > better to get a good LCD with analog input then a crappy LCD with
    > digital input (I don't know if it is a good LCD but this is a good
    > point). It def isn't 20th century.

    The odd thing about the MiniMac is that its maximum video out is
    1920x1200, waaay above any of the average LCDs. Even in the Apple range
    the only monitor that can meet that is the 23" Cinema (the 30" needs
    extra video drivers) which costs about 3x the Mini.
    Most of the average LCDs seem to max out at 1280x1024 or so, even the
    19" models.

    I'd hazard a guess that BIG STEVE has something up his sleeve for the
    Mini.

    --

    Chas Right

    Charlie Right, Jun 27, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    thing2 <> wrote:

    >I notice they list the OS as 10.3 though.........

    So it's off by less than 1%. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 27, 2005