Historical species

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mmyvusenet, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    mmyvusenet, Jan 16, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mmyvusenet

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:26:06 +1100, "Atheist Chaplain" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"mmyvusenet" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and another
    >> classic in the area:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
    >>
    >> Thanks for your comments.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MMYV
    >> http://www.mmyv.com
    >>
    >>

    >
    >both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
    >how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
    >the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes the
    >whole site completely irrelevant.


    I agree.
    Nomen Nescio, Jan 16, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mmyvusenet

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 01/16/2011 05:26 AM, Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    > "mmyvusenet" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and another
    >> classic in the area:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
    >>
    >> Thanks for your comments.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MMYV
    >> http://www.mmyv.com
    >>
    >>

    >
    > both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
    > how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
    > the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
    > the whole site completely irrelevant.


    It's the math. These awards are all "get one and award X" with X between
    3 and 7. So the number of awards looking for a target grows
    exponentially, eventually outnumbers the number of pictures on flickr,
    and in the end all pictures end up with one.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jan 16, 2011
    #3
  4. mmyvusenet

    MC Guest

    Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    >
    > "mmyvusenet" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hello:
    > >
    > > I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and
    > > another classic in the area:
    > >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
    > >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
    > >
    > > Thanks for your comments.
    > >
    > > --
    > > MMYV
    > > http://www.mmyv.com
    > >
    > >

    >
    > both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
    > how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
    > the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
    > the whole site completely irrelevant.


    Hear Hear! However, flicker has never really been more than a dumping
    ground for family snaps, holiday snaps and those who do not know one
    end of a lens to the other, unless is attached to a mobile phone. This
    also means that any occasional decent photograph is always lost in the
    miriad of trash.

    MC
    MC, Jan 16, 2011
    #4
  5. mmyvusenet

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jan 16, 2:56 pm, "MC" <> wrote:
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    > > "mmyvusenet" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > > > Hello:

    >
    > > > I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and
    > > > another  classic in the area:

    >
    > > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/

    >
    > > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/

    >
    > > > Thanks for your comments.

    >
    > > > --
    > > > MMYV
    > > >http://www.mmyv.com

    >
    > > both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
    > > how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
    > > the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
    > > the whole site completely irrelevant.

    >
    > Hear Hear!  However, flicker has never really been more than a dumping
    > ground for family snaps, holiday snaps and those who do not know one
    > end of a lens to the other, unless is attached to a mobile phone.  This
    > also means that any occasional decent photograph is always lost in the
    > miriad of trash.


    This could be true but I prefer flickr for that reason, for people to
    see them.
    For me that's what photography is about. I''m sure there's those that
    drive cars
    in order to win Nascar/formula 1 or whatever while some drive for
    pleasure or to get from A-B.
    I prefer[1] 1000 people to see my photo than 1/2 a dozen and get an
    'award' from them.




    [1] Unless I'm making money from it
    Whisky-dave, Jan 17, 2011
    #5
  6. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    Val Hallah <> wrote:
    >On Jan 17, 4:03 pm, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    >> This could be true but I prefer flickr for that reason, for people to
    >> see them.
    >> For me that's what photography is about. I''m sure there's those that
    >> drive cars
    >> in order to win Nascar/formula 1 or whatever while some drive for
    >> pleasure or to get from A-B.
    >> I prefer[1] 1000 people to see my photo than 1/2 a dozen and get an
    >> 'award' from them.
    >>
    >> [1] Unless I'm making money from it

    >
    >yep, you can be a 'Pro' for $25 and then you can have a sycofantic
    >relationship with other 'Pros' by praising each others work ;-)



    Save your $25 and join the SI for free instead. Then you can praise
    other people's execrable, thoroughly incompetent snapshots to the
    heavens - and hope someone praises yours in return.

    Don't you just love these little rituals? ;-)
    Bruce, Jan 17, 2011
    #6
  7. mmyvusenet

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:48:55 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr as
    >a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments, "awards", and
    >saccharine praise are without value as a learning tool. I feel he
    >continues to participate in r.p.d. & a.p. because even if there might
    >be ridicule at times, there is also some useful, honest feed back. If
    >all he was looking for was silly praise he would have abandoned the
    >photo groups long ago, and stuck with flickr and not learned anything.


    I think Miguel uses Flickr only because it is the only image host that
    he knows about. Others have been suggested (ie: PhotoBucket) but he
    ignores the suggestions. That's his choice to make.

    He also ignores pleas to cross-post rather than to put separate posts
    in the two groups. That annoys me.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 17, 2011
    #7
  8. mmyvusenet

    GMAN Guest

    In article <2011011709432457944-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >On 2011-01-17 09:22:38 -0800, Val Hallah <> said:
    >
    >> On Jan 17, 6:04 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:48:55 -0800, Savageduck
    >>>
    >>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>>> I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr as
    >>>> a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments, "awards", and
    >>>> saccharine praise are without value as a learning tool. I feel he
    >>>> continues to participate in r.p.d. & a.p. because even if there might
    >>>> be ridicule at times, there is also some useful, honest feed back. If
    >>>> all he was looking for was silly praise he would have abandoned the
    >>>> photo groups long ago, and stuck with flickr and not learned anything.
    >>>
    >>> I think Miguel uses Flickr only because it is the only image host that
    >>> he knows about.  Others have been suggested (ie:  PhotoBucket) but he
    >>> ignores the suggestions.  That's his choice to make.
    >>>
    >>> He also ignores pleas to cross-post rather than to put separate posts
    >>> in the two groups.  That annoys me.

    >>
    >>
    >> buy a gun.....its your right....

    >
    >Been there done that, starting 45-50 years ago.
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_6494w.jpg >
    >

    Love the luger and the old west revolver!!!!!
    GMAN, Jan 17, 2011
    #8
  9. mmyvusenet

    Peter Chant Guest

    N wrote:

    >> both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
    >> how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
    >> the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes the
    >> whole site completely irrelevant.

    >
    > But you don't have to join such groups and you can delete the comments.
    > IOW, only those seeking such banal praise will get it.


    Excellent point... ;-)

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, Jan 18, 2011
    #9
  10. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> Savageduckwrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr as
    >>> a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments, "awards", and
    >>> saccharine praise are without value as a learning tool. I feel he
    >>> continues to participate in r.p.d.& a.p. because even if there might
    >>> be ridicule at times, there is also some useful, honest feed back. If
    >>> all he was looking for was silly praise he would have abandoned the
    >>> photo groups long ago, and stuck with flickr and not learned anything.

    >
    >I don't know, he gets more clicks from posting here and those raise the
    >rating of the photos on flickr so more will show in searches for a topic
    >or a random selection.



    When Miguel relied on comments from the newsgroup, there were actually
    some signs of improvement. However, his standards have not improved
    for several months. The 'Flickr effect', perhaps?
    Bruce, Jan 18, 2011
    #10
  11. mmyvusenet

    MC Guest

    bugbear wrote:

    >
    > > I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr
    > > as a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments,
    > > "awards", and saccharine praise are without value as a learning
    > > tool. I feel he continues to participate in r.p.d. & a.p. because
    > > even if there might be ridicule at times, there is also some
    > > useful, honest feed back. If all he was looking for was silly
    > > praise he would have abandoned the photo groups long ago, and stuck
    > > with flickr and not learned anything.

    >
    > But I've never (ever) seen him respond to, or (sadly) benefit from
    > detailed criticisms.
    >
    > He just posts shot after shot after shot, year after year, without
    > appearing to learn.
    >


    And you can guarantee it will either be a "historical" tortoise, a
    "historical" parrot, a "historical" flower, part of a "historical"
    religious ceremony or the "historical" centre of Lima. Not only does
    his technique not improve over time the subject matter never changes
    either.

    MC

    MC
    MC, Jan 18, 2011
    #11
  12. MC <> wrote:
    > bugbear wrote:


    >> But I've never (ever) seen him respond to, or (sadly) benefit from
    >> detailed criticisms.


    > religious ceremony or the "historical" centre of Lima. Not only does
    > his technique not improve over time the subject matter never changes
    > either.


    Maybe you should update your news server to receive new posts
    instead of just copying old posts from years ago ... you old
    brontosauruses are about to die out from overaged information.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 20, 2011
    #12
  13. mmyvusenet

    MC Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    > MC <> wrote:
    > > bugbear wrote:

    >
    > >> But I've never (ever) seen him respond to, or (sadly) benefit from
    > >> detailed criticisms.

    >
    > > religious ceremony or the "historical" centre of Lima. Not only
    > > does his technique not improve over time the subject matter never
    > > changes either.

    >
    > Maybe you should update your news server to receive new posts
    > instead of just copying old posts from years ago ... you old
    > brontosauruses are about to die out from overaged information.
    >
    > -Wolfgang


    ??

    MC
    MC, Jan 20, 2011
    #13
  14. MC <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> MC <> wrote:
    >> > bugbear wrote:


    >> >> But I've never (ever) seen him respond to, or (sadly) benefit from
    >> >> detailed criticisms.


    >> > religious ceremony or the "historical" centre of Lima. Not only
    >> > does his technique not improve over time the subject matter never
    >> > changes either.


    >> Maybe you should update your news server to receive new posts
    >> instead of just copying old posts from years ago ... you old
    >> brontosauruses are about to die out from overaged information.


    > ??


    !!

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 23, 2011
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. KAMCGANN

    FA: DTS LaserDisc SPECIES WS

    KAMCGANN, Jun 19, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    435
    KAMCGANN
    Jun 19, 2004
  2. campu2
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    463
    campu2
    May 31, 2005
  3. Jason

    "Species Trilogy" question

    Jason, Sep 20, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    472
    Derek Janssen
    Sep 23, 2005
  4. My Bokeh

    Is the street photographer an endangered species?

    My Bokeh, Sep 8, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    300
    Scott Schuckert
    Sep 10, 2006
  5. Rudy Benner

    OT - what species of bird is this please.

    Rudy Benner, Oct 8, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    674
    John Turco
    Oct 13, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page