    is the Histogram.

    Thanks in advance
    Denny D
    Denny B, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Denny B

    frederick Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.
    > Ken Rockwell on his site evaluating the
    > D50 Histogram implies it is useless.
    >
    > I was going to purchase a D50 but now
    > consider this a big negative if one cannot trust
    > the Histogram I cannot understand why it is there
    > if it is useless. He implies it does not read RGB
    > will somebody explain this.
    >
    > Those who use D50 digital cameras how useful
    > is the Histogram.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny D

    It isn't useless, but RGB is better - shows separate red/green/blue
    channels instead of just one channel(green?).
    So, if you take a photo of a red flower against a green background, then
    the one-channel histogram doesn't really tell you if you nailed the
    exposure on the subject.
    Ken doesn't shoot raw, so nailing exposure without clipping/blowing
    highlights when shooting jpeg is more critical for him - assuming that
    he actually ever takes a real photo rather than blathering on his website.
    My 2c worth is that if you're doing something so critical that you're
    going to be chimping the histogram after every shot, then you're going
    to be much better shooting raw anyway (unless you want to waste serious
    time and wear your camera out three times faster by bracketing every
    shot). D50 (like other Nikon DSLRs) has excellent metering, so I doubt
    you'd ever miss no rgb histogram.
    AFAIK D200 or Canon 30d etc have rgb histogram, but cost (quite a lot)
    more. Maybe other brands have rgb histogram in their entry level dslr.
    It is useful - but don't treat is as a deal maker/breaker.
    frederick, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Denny B

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.
    > Ken Rockwell on his site evaluating the
    > D50 Histogram implies it is useless.
    >
    > I was going to purchase a D50 but now
    > consider this a big negative if one cannot trust
    > the Histogram I cannot understand why it is there
    > if it is useless. He implies it does not read RGB
    > will somebody explain this.
    >
    > Those who use D50 digital cameras how useful
    > is the Histogram.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny D

    I don't use it a lot, but when I do it seems to work fine. The
    histogram appears to be reasonably accurate when compared to what I see
    on the LCD screen.
    Don Stauffer, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Denny B

    Rob-L Guest

    I have found it to be reliable.

    Rob-L, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Denny B

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:38:02 +1200, in rec.photo.digital frederick
    <> wrote:

    >It isn't useless, but RGB is better - shows separate red/green/blue
    >channels instead of just one channel(green?).

    No, luminance.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Jun 26, 2006
  6. Denny B

    Bill Guest

    Denny B wrote:

    >Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.
    >Ken Rockwell on his site evaluating the
    >D50 Histogram implies it is useless.

    Personally, I think Kens "reviews" are rather misguided and some of his
    comments conflict with other comments he's made on his own site. He also
    seems to have a knee-jerk reaction to many things.

    I suggest you take much of what he says with a LARGE grain of salt.

    >I was going to purchase a D50 but now
    >consider this a big negative if one cannot trust
    >the Histogram I cannot understand why it is there
    >if it is useless. He implies it does not read RGB
    >will somebody explain this.

    The D50 lacks separate RGB colour channels in its histogram, which is
    the same as many other cameras. It makes it harder to determine if the
    exposure is what you wanted.

    But having said that, I only check the in-camera histogram to see if the
    exposure is what I wanted when shooting off the regular exposure range.
    The metering systems in Canon and Nikon cameras are quite good, so in
    almost every case you'll get proper exposure regardless.

    >Those who use D50 digital cameras how useful
    >is the Histogram.

    I own the Canon Rebel XT/350D, but from using my friends D70s and what
    I've read online about the D50, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even
    though I shoot with Canon gear, I consider the Nikon D50 to be the best
    deal in price/performance right now.

    By the way, the 18-55 kit lense is ok, but not a great performer. If you
    can afford it, I highly recommend you get the MUCH better Nikkor 18-70
    which is normally the kit lense for the D70s. It has better sharpness
    and contrast, and it has a wider zoom range which makes it a good "walk
    around" lense.
    Bill, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Denny B

    frederick Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:38:02 +1200, in rec.photo.digital frederick
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> It isn't useless, but RGB is better - shows separate red/green/blue
    >> channels instead of just one channel(green?).

    > No, luminance.

    Thanks. I put the ? in when I was typing because I knew my brain had
    gone on vacation, but I wasn't sure where.
    frederick, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Denny B

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 05:35:18 GMT, Denny B <> wrote:

    >Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.
    >Ken Rockwell on his site evaluating the
    >D50 Histogram implies it is useless.
    >
    >I was going to purchase a D50 but now
    >consider this a big negative if one cannot trust
    >the Histogram I cannot understand why it is there
    >if it is useless. He implies it does not read RGB
    >will somebody explain this.
    >
    >Those who use D50 digital cameras how useful
    >is the Histogram.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Denny D

    "Useless" means: I don't use it.
    It doesn't mean it's no good.
    For those who know how to use a histogram, they are (or, more
    correctly) can be very usefull.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jun 26, 2006
  9. Denny B

    Denny B Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Denny B wrote:
    >
    >> Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.
    >> Ken Rockwell on his site evaluating the
    >> D50 Histogram implies it is useless.

    > Personally, I think Kens "reviews" are rather misguided and some of his
    > comments conflict with other comments he's made on his own site. He also
    > seems to have a knee-jerk reaction to many things.
    >
    > I suggest you take much of what he says with a LARGE grain of salt.
    >
    >> I was going to purchase a D50 but now
    >> consider this a big negative if one cannot trust
    >> the Histogram I cannot understand why it is there
    >> if it is useless. He implies it does not read RGB
    >> will somebody explain this.

    > The D50 lacks separate RGB colour channels in its histogram, which is
    > the same as many other cameras. It makes it harder to determine if the
    > exposure is what you wanted.
    >
    > But having said that, I only check the in-camera histogram to see if the
    > exposure is what I wanted when shooting off the regular exposure range.
    > The metering systems in Canon and Nikon cameras are quite good, so in
    > almost every case you'll get proper exposure regardless.
    >
    >> Those who use D50 digital cameras how useful
    >> is the Histogram.

    > I own the Canon Rebel XT/350D, but from using my friends D70s and what
    > I've read online about the D50, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even
    > though I shoot with Canon gear, I consider the Nikon D50 to be the best
    > deal in price/performance right now.
    >
    > By the way, the 18-55 kit lense is ok, but not a great performer. If you
    > can afford it, I highly recommend you get the MUCH better Nikkor 18-70
    > which is normally the kit lense for the D70s. It has better sharpness
    > and contrast, and it has a wider zoom range which makes it a good "walk
    > around" lense.

    Thank you all for your replies, I made considerable
    inquires today from the camera stores. As of now I think
    that I will forsake the 2 lens kit with the D50 (18-55 and
    55-200) and purchase the D50 with 18-70 lens. I want a
    quality lens the 18-70 sems much better quality,optically,
    mechanically with the manual focus in the right place and
    not the narrow ring right in front of the lens.

    Thanks kindly
    Denny B
    Denny B, Jun 27, 2006
  10. Denny B

    Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > Is the Histogram on a Nikon D50 useful or not.

    You'll be very happy with the D-50. In the price/performance catagory
    it is nearly impossible to beat. The only two things you will really
    lack is miror lock-up during shooting and a DOF preview button.
    Everything else has some sort of work around. You can get pro images
    out of that body but not pro speed/performance, that costs thousands
    more. Enjoy.
    , Jun 29, 2006