    photos.

    Not bad for a first time though, I guess. Weather was really bad. Dark and
    windy and rain. Not great...
    Craig, Sep 13, 2004

  2. "Craig" <> writes:

    > A few weeks back, I came and asked for tips on taking photos at an airhow,
    > and one of the 'hopes and dreams' was that we'de get good weather for
    > photos. Turns out, it was rubbish weather! The old planes cancelled the
    > Battle of Britain flyby, and I think the better ones took it easy (Except,
    > of course, The Red Arrows!).
    >
    > Anyways, this is how my shots came out.
    >
    > http://www.thelisters.co.uk/viewgallery.php?id=50
    >
    > Used auto focus, and.. the rest of the details are on each photo. Not too
    > happy, as most are not sharp, but it would be great if you could 'crit' some
    > photos.
    >
    > Not bad for a first time though, I guess. Weather was really bad. Dark and
    > windy and rain. Not great...

    But actually I find some of the shots very striking against the heavy
    clouds -- especially the "Red Arrows split" (id=818).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    But the problem I was facing was getting nice clarrity of the objects. They
    all seem out of focus, and I'm not sure how to better that next time.

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    Craig, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Craig

    Howell Guest

    Hi Craig,

    Some nice Photos. on your web page. I know the problems of trying to
    photograph planes at Leuchars when the cloud level is low.

    On your web page, the unidentified red plane is "The Fouga CM-170 Magister
    was the first primary jet trainer to enter production, under a French Armée
    de l'Air specification." Which comment I cut and pasted from
    http://www.warbirdalley.com/fouga.htm

    And yes, definitely a Hawker Hunter but I couldn't guess at a Mk number.

    Dr. How.

    Howell, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Craig

    Mac Tabak Guest

    Always overexpose your shots by 1.5 - 2 F stops, i know sky will blow out
    but it's not the sky you want!
    Another tip....if plane is crossing from left to right, make sure you
    position it in the frame on the left hand side,that way it gives the plane a
    space to fly into.

    Mac Tabak, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Craig

    Colin D Guest

    Craig wrote:

    > But the problem I was facing was getting nice clarrity of the objects. They
    > all seem out of focus, and I'm not sure how to better that next time.

    Interesting stuff there. On studying most of the shots, I think your
    problem is not one of focus sharpness, but camera movement. On most of
    the images, there are some edges sharp, and others not, which points to
    panning technique, in that the camera is not keeping the aircraft
    stationary in the viewfinder, but is allowing what looks like camera
    shake in some direction to occur.

    This can be well seen in the last shot, of the 640mph pass, where the
    leading edge of the fin is sharp, but the fuselage is blurred in a
    vertical direction. This implies that the camera was moving down and
    left, along the line of the fin so the leading edge is sharp, but the
    downward movement has blurred the fuselage.

    Noting that the lens was at > 200mm, and your shutter was about 1/250
    IIRC, it's not surprising, and certainly not a criticism of the camera.

    You need a better day, shutter speeds of 1/1000 or greater - except for
    helos - and then I think you will see better results.

    For interest, here's a url to some 300D shots of various aircraft, just
    to perhaps dispel any doubts you might have about the 300D.

    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?&maxres=500&keywords=300D

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Sep 15, 2004
  7. Mac Tabak wrote:
    > Always overexpose your shots by 1.5 - 2 F stops, i know sky will
    > blow out but it's not the sky you want!
    > Another tip....if plane is crossing from left to right, make sure you
    > position it in the frame on the left hand side,that way it gives the
    > plane a space to fly into.

    Truer words...

    Y'ever seen what a T-28 prop will do to the inside of your camera? ;^)

    Bob Harrington, Sep 15, 2004
  8. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks Colin. Well spotted. I made a massive mistake in setting the speed
    too slow, as I was looking at other shots before the show, and saw these at
    lower speeds. However, looking back, they were of prop planes. Jets would
    probably require faster speeds. Damn! A whole year till the next show!

    Craig, Sep 15, 2004
  9. Craig

    Colin D Guest

    Craig wrote:

    > Thanks Colin. Well spotted. I made a massive mistake in setting the speed
    > too slow, as I was looking at other shots before the show, and saw these at
    > lower speeds. However, looking back, they were of prop planes. Jets would
    > probably require faster speeds. Damn! A whole year till the next show!
    >
    > "Colin D" <> wrote in message
    > > Craig wrote:
    > > >
    > > > But the problem I was facing was getting nice clarrity of the objects.

    > They
    > > > all seem out of focus, and I'm not sure how to better that next time.
    > > >

    > > Interesting stuff there. On studying most of the shots, I think your
    > > problem is not one of focus sharpness, but camera movement. On most of
    > > the images, there are some edges sharp, and others not, which points to
    > > panning technique, in that the camera is not keeping the aircraft
    > > stationary in the viewfinder, but is allowing what looks like camera
    > > shake in some direction to occur.
    > >
    > > This can be well seen in the last shot, of the 640mph pass, where the
    > > leading edge of the fin is sharp, but the fuselage is blurred in a
    > > vertical direction. This implies that the camera was moving down and
    > > left, along the line of the fin so the leading edge is sharp, but the
    > > downward movement has blurred the fuselage.
    > >
    > > Noting that the lens was at > 200mm, and your shutter was about 1/250
    > > IIRC, it's not surprising, and certainly not a criticism of the camera.
    > >
    > > You need a better day, shutter speeds of 1/1000 or greater - except for
    > > helos - and then I think you will see better results.
    > >
    > > For interest, here's a url to some 300D shots of various aircraft, just
    > > to perhaps dispel any doubts you might have about the 300D.
    > >
    > > http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?&maxres=500&keywords=300D
    > >
    > > Colin D.

    Craig, do have a look at that url. There are some shots of aircraft in
    flight that were taken with a 400mm lens at 1/60th, repeat 1/60th. But
    the lens was an Image Stabilised lens, which worked amazingly well. I
    was really impressed, also, with two shots of an F16 from another
    aircraft, fantastic shots taken with the 18-55mm kit lens!!

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Sep 15, 2004
  10. Craig

    Ken Tough Guest

    Apparently Craig <> wrote:

    >Thanks Colin. Well spotted. I made a massive mistake in setting the speed
    >too slow, as I was looking at other shots before the show, and saw these at
    >lower speeds. However, looking back, they were of prop planes. Jets would
    >probably require faster speeds. Damn! A whole year till the next show!

    You could always pop by Heathrow for some practice. [Just don't wear
    a headscarf if it's cold]

    (Actually rural airports will be far better/give you a wider variety
    of 'planes)
    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Sep 15, 2004
  11. .....or the outside! come to think of it.

    -=Plane Mad=-, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Hi Criag,

    Sometimes an overcast sky can be a real blessing and sometime a real
    pain. The overcast sky guarantees that you don't have too much light and
    the photo is less likely to be washed out by light. It can also provide
    a really nice contrast for the aircraft. Granted I would still prefer a
    blue sky with big fluffy clouds or very little clouds , but still,
    overcast is not a bad thing. Fog on the other hand ...well that speaks
    for itself ;)

    Andre Blanchard

    Andre Blanchard, Sep 17, 2004