Hint for freeware batch EXIF rename program for JPEG files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Donna Ohl, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Donna Ohl

    Donna Ohl Guest

    I was digging around for a freeware batch EXIF rename program when I
    belatedly realized Irfanview does a wonderful job of batch EXIF renaming of
    JPEG photos and I just wanted others to know that this was possible.

    Here's my hint (you may already know this ... if so, sorry for the
    intrusion).

    To do a freeware batch rename in Irfanview, you simply need to add
    something like the following as a "name pattern":
    $E36867(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)

    This "name pattern" in Irfanview's "batch conversion" form will rename all
    your photographs with the EXIF date in the year-month-day-hour-min-sec
    format such as:
    20080403_13-45-59.jpg

    Here are the complete steps:
    1. Start Irfanview in a Windows directory containing photographs
    2. File > Batch Conversion/Rename
    3. Press the "Create New Folder" button & name the folder "exif_rename"
    4. Press the "Use this directory as output" button (this is a neat trick)
    5. Then select the newly created folder inside the current folder
    6. Press the "Add all" button
    7. Press the "Batch rename" radio dial
    8. Enter into the "Name pattern:" field "$E36867(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)"
    9. Press the "Start" button
    10. Now all your digital photos are renamed by their EXIF date!

    I hope this helps others,
    D.

    Donna Ohl, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Donna Ohl

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Donna Ohl <> wrote:
    >I was digging around for a freeware batch EXIF rename program when I
    >belatedly realized Irfanview does a wonderful job of batch EXIF renaming of
    >JPEG photos and I just wanted others to know that this was possible.

    "Wonderful"?

    >Here's my hint (you may already know this ... if so, sorry for the
    >intrusion).
    >
    >To do a freeware batch rename in Irfanview, you simply need to add
    >something like the following as a "name pattern":
    > $E36867(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)

    Here's what I use, but it's a Mac app:
    http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer

    Drag the files and/or folders to the app icon and you're done.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Apr 3, 2008

  3. Donna Ohl

    manf Guest

    Donna Ohl wrote:
    > I was digging around for a freeware batch EXIF rename

    http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/

    it's not updated since 2005, but it doesn't need to :)

    manf, Apr 3, 2008
  4. Donna Ohl wrote:
    > I was digging around for a freeware batch EXIF rename program when I
    > belatedly realized Irfanview does a wonderful job of batch EXIF
    > renaming of JPEG photos and I just wanted others to know that this
    > was possible.

    []
    > I hope this helps others,
    > D.

    I use PIE (Picture Information Extractor) where it's just a couple of
    clicks:

    http://www.picmeta.com/en.htm

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 3, 2008