Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I wanted to test out a Rollei clone of Kodak Technical Pan.

    Shipping Cost To CANADA

    Shipping Method

    Shipping Cost
    UPS Worldwide Expedited
    2-4 Business Days Delivery

    # $25.55 (CAD)26.17
    UPS Worldwide Saver
    1-2 Business Days Delivery

    # $30.55 (CAD)31.29
    FedEx Economy
    2-4 Business Day Delivery

    # $50.50 (CAD)51.72
    FedEx Priority
    1-2 Business Day Delivery

    # $60.50 (CAD)61.96
    International Priority Mail
    7-10 Days Delivery

    # $31.25 (CAD)32.01
    International Express Mail
    2-3 Days Delivery

    # $41.25 (CAD)42.25
    RichA, Mar 25, 2010

  2. RichA

    Rich Guest

    Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <> wrote:
    > Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
    > shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.

    B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
    Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.
    Rich, Mar 25, 2010

  3. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Mar 24, 9:34 pm, Rich <> wrote:

    > > Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
    > > shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.

    > B.S.  First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S.  The
    > Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

    No, idiot.

    If they were crooks, they wouldn't tell you what the shipping charges
    were. They'd just let them come as a nasty surprise upon delivery.
    (That's illegal in most places, of course, but if you check closely
    you'll find that that's what "crook" actually means: someone who
    knowingly breaks the law. It *doesn't* mean "Someone who charges more
    than I think they should.")

    But since nobody is holding a gun to your head (pity, that), you are
    free to get your film elsewhere and ship it however you like.

    See? No "crooks" involved.
    Twibil, Mar 25, 2010
  4. Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 25, 2010
  5. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <> wrote:
    >>> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
    >>> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.
    >>>

    >>B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
    >>Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

    >B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

    Where do the proprietors reside?
    John A., Mar 25, 2010
  6. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.
    >
    >"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >On Mar 25, 12:03 am, "Anon" <> wrote:
    >> Geezus already, that has been discussed to death previously. International
    >> shipping is always expensive. Buy at at Henry's.
    >>

    >B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
    >Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

    The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
    product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
    shipping department. Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

    They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
    Either way, the customer is going to pay. The company adds it to the
    shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
    and not the total cost including shipping.

    If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
    add the same amount to the product price.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 25, 2010
  7. Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    "tony cooper" <> wrote:

    > The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
    > product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
    > shipping department. Added up, these are part of the product's cost.
    >
    > They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
    > Either way, the customer is going to pay. The company adds it to the
    > shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
    > and not the total cost including shipping.
    >
    > If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
    > add the same amount to the product price.

    All of this is true. However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
    same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).

    But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
    customs and tariffs tango. Those costs are very real, both in terms
    of time and money. UPS passes their share on to B&H. B&H
    passes both their share and UPS's share on to the customer:

    http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm

    If you get your own quote for shipping a 1-pound package from
    New York to, say, Toronto via UPS, you can see what you'd pay
    to do the same thing. For the same classes of service, it appears
    that B&H is charging less.

    http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_CA&WT.svl=SubNav
    http://fedex.com/ratefinder/home

    --
    Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
    Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
    Michael Benveniste, Mar 25, 2010
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 25, 11:01 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    > "tony cooper" <> wrote:
    > > The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
    > > product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
    > > shipping department.  Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

    > > They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
    > > Either way, the customer is going to pay.  The company adds it to the
    > > shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
    > > and not the total cost including shipping.

    > > If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
    > > add the same amount to the product price.

    > All of this is true.  However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
    > same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).
    >
    > But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
    > customs and tariffs tango.  Those costs are very real, both in terms
    > of time and money.

    Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
    Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.
    RichA, Mar 25, 2010
  9. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:26:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 25, 11:01 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    >> "tony cooper" <> wrote:
    >> > The company is paying rent for the space used to package and ship the
    >> > product and they are paying wages and benefits to the people in the
    >> > shipping department.  Added up, these are part of the product's cost.

    >> > They can add that figure to the product price or the shipping price.
    >> > Either way, the customer is going to pay.  The company adds it to the
    >> > shipping because the customer will often compare product unit prices
    >> > and not the total cost including shipping.

    >> > If the company did not "pad" the shipping figure, they would have to
    >> > add the same amount to the product price.

    >> All of this is true.  However, B&H charges only $4.95 to ship the
    >> same item to me here in Massachusetts (USA).
    >>
    >> But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
    >> customs and tariffs tango.  Those costs are very real, both in terms
    >> of time and money.

    >Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
    >Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

    A letter, maybe, but anything over a certain weight (couple pounds?)
    requires the large form.

    Of course a well-enough-equipped shop can print the prefilled forms
    along with the mailing label and packing list. Particularly when
    they're taking orders electronically. But that does take some money to
    set up.
    John A., Mar 25, 2010
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    wrote:
    >On Mar 25, 11:01 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> But when one ships commercially to Canada, one must dance the
    >> customs and tariffs tango.  Those costs are very real, both in terms
    >> of time and money.

    >Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
    >Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

    It isn't a shipping charge. It's a hassle charge.

    Hassle costs money.

    Companies like B&H are box shifters - they pile 'em high and sell 'em
    cheap. They want to sell and despatch items as quickly and
    efficiently as possible and avoid wasting valuable time dealing with
    after-sales queries.

    The reason for the high shipping charges for Canada is that B&H knows,
    from bitter experience, that most Canadians are moaners and whiners
    and will cause B&H, on average, several times more hassle than US
    customers. So the Canadians get charged more.

    If there were differential item prices for Canadian buyers, B&H knows
    that the moaning and whining would get out of control. It therefore
    makes more sense to keep item prices the same but raise the cost of
    shipping to Canada to make up for all that hassle.

    ;-)
    Bruce, Mar 25, 2010
  11. RichA

    GregS Guest

    In article <hoftqm$mfh$>, "Anon" <> wrote:

    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>I wanted to test out a Rollei clone of Kodak Technical Pan.
    >>
    >> Shipping Cost To CANADA
    >>

    >So buy locally

    I wanted a product available in England and the world, but not US.
    It was a can of spray cleaner. The shipping cost from England was about $250.
    I still don't have any.

    greg
    GregS, Mar 25, 2010
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:54:00 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >John A. <> wrote in
    >
    >>>Where do you get this info from? It is no more difficult mailing to
    >>>Canada, except you fill in a 2`` x 2`` label. Takes about 20 seconds.

    >> A letter, maybe, but anything over a certain weight (couple pounds?)
    >> requires the large form.
    >>
    >> Of course a well-enough-equipped shop can print the prefilled forms
    >> along with the mailing label and packing list. Particularly when
    >> they're taking orders electronically. But that does take some money to
    >> set up.
    >>

    >Last time I checked, one roll of 35mm film weighed about 2.5oz.

    Also some places will set a minimum shipping charge to discourage
    small orders.
    John A., Mar 25, 2010
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 25, 7:56 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:54:00 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >John A. <> wrote in

    > >> A letter, maybe, but anything over a certain weight (couple pounds?)
    > >> requires the large form.

    > >> Of course a well-enough-equipped shop can print the prefilled forms
    > >> along with the mailing label and packing list. Particularly when
    > >> they're taking orders electronically. But that does take some money to
    > >> set up.

    > >Last time I checked, one roll of 35mm film weighed about 2.5oz.

    > Also some places will set a minimum shipping charge to discourage
    > small orders.

    Well, how about an expensive but small, light item? Run a $200
    filter (about the same weight as the film) though their process and
    see what the shipping is.
    RichA, Mar 26, 2010
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:42:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 25, 7:56 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:54:00 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >> >John A. <> wrote in

    >> >Last time I checked, one roll of 35mm film weighed about 2.5oz.

    >> Also some places will set a minimum shipping charge to discourage
    >> small orders.

    > Well, how about an expensive but small, light item? Run a $200
    >filter (about the same weight as the film) though their process and
    >see what the shipping is.

    What's the big deal? You either buy something at a local store, or -
    if there's no local store or your local store doesn't stock it - you
    buy over the internet. If you go the internet route, there are dozens
    of sources. If B&H's shipping costs are a deterrent, pick another
    source. It's not like B&H is the only source for anything. They
    don't need you, and you don't need them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 26, 2010
  15. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:12:58 GMT, (GregS)
    wrote:
    >In article <hoftqm$mfh$>, "Anon" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>>I wanted to test out a Rollei clone of Kodak Technical Pan.
    >>>
    >>> Shipping Cost To CANADA
    >>>

    >>So buy locally

    >I wanted a product available in England and the world, but not US.
    >It was a can of spray cleaner. The shipping cost from England was about $250.
    >I still don't have any.

    Was it a very large can? Or did it have to be specially packed
    because of the risk of leakage in transit?
    Bruce, Mar 26, 2010
  16. Re: Hilarious!! B&H shipping charges for one roll of film!!!

    "John A." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>>B.S. First Class Mail would be about $6.00 from the U.S. The
    >>>Brooklyn crooks are hugely padding the shipping.

    >>B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

    > Where do the proprietors reside?

    Why does that matter? B&H is not one of those typical Brooklyn rip-off
    joints. They are hoenst with their customers.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 26, 2010
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:55:44 GMT, (GregS)
    wrote:
    >In article <>, Bruce <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:12:58 GMT, (GregS)
    >>wrote:

    >>>I wanted a product available in England and the world, but not US.
    >>>It was a can of spray cleaner. The shipping cost from England was about $250.
    >>>I still don't have any.

    >>Was it a very large can? Or did it have to be specially packed
    >>because of the risk of leakage in transit?
    >>

    >A small can of electronic contact cleaner.
    >Probably flammable.

    If flammable, it probably couldn't be sent via normal air mail. I'm
    in the UK, so if you let me know the specific product, I will find out
    if there is a way of getting it sent to you at economic cost.
    Bruce, Mar 26, 2010
  18. RichA

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Allen
    <> writes
    >What is really hilarious is that someone would oder just _one_ roll of film.
    >Allen

    Film is getting very scarce. It might be the last one they had :)

    Chris H, Mar 26, 2010
  19. RichA

    GregS Guest

    GregS, Mar 26, 2010
  20. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 3/26/2010 8:10 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "John A."<> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> B&H is a Manhattan-based operation, not Brooklyn.

    >> Where do the proprietors reside?

    > Why does that matter? B&H is not one of those typical Brooklyn rip-off
    > joints. They are hoenst with their customers.

    FWIW, they have a huge store a block down from Madison Square Garden and
    Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. Not a little dinky store front but
    several floors of a good sized building. And not a warehouse, you walk
    in and there's tons of stuff on display and plenty of knowledgeable
    people to answer questions.
    J. Clarke, Mar 26, 2010