Hiking Mt. Everest

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Aloha,

    I am planning a hike to the summit of Mt. Everest in two years. Myself and
    several friends, when we are all out of college. Think of it as the Wright
    brothers goal to fly.

    We are creating a website for our mission. We are seeking out funding,
    donations and contributions from major corporations to fund the hike. We are
    not only going to do it for ourselves, but in order to secure funds and get
    publicity, we are going to target a foundation to which we will raise money
    for throughout the endeavor. The question is, who should we look in to
    hiking for?

    Cancer research is always popular and gets mass attention, but while it is a
    noble cause, I don't see any amount of money (short of many billions from
    Bill Gates, maybe) advancing us toward a cure for cancer anytime soon, and
    thus not the right cause for this. I really want to do good for something
    that we can really make a difference with.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for who look into raising for? Keep in mind
    this is still a couple years away, but it's time to start planning and
    training.

    Aloha
    Brian
    Brian, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Brian wrote:
    > Aloha,
    >
    > I am planning a hike to the summit of Mt. Everest in two years. Myself and
    > several friends, when we are all out of college. Think of it as the Wright
    > brothers goal to fly.
    >
    > We are creating a website for our mission. We are seeking out funding,
    > donations and contributions from major corporations to fund the hike. We are
    > not only going to do it for ourselves, but in order to secure funds and get
    > publicity, we are going to target a foundation to which we will raise money
    > for throughout the endeavor. The question is, who should we look in to
    > hiking for?
    >
    > Cancer research is always popular and gets mass attention, but while it is a
    > noble cause, I don't see any amount of money (short of many billions from
    > Bill Gates, maybe) advancing us toward a cure for cancer anytime soon, and
    > thus not the right cause for this. I really want to do good for something
    > that we can really make a difference with.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for who look into raising for? Keep in mind
    > this is still a couple years away, but it's time to start planning and
    > training.

    Odd you should mention it, I've been chatting with a sysadmin from Nepal
    for the last couple of nights. Not that he could help on your hike, but
    just a coincidence. I know (by email) a man in his eighty's who
    installed the wireless system from town to the base camp there (and the
    base camp is long, long hike). I may be able to dig up his email if
    you'd like to chat with him. But there are sports oriented travel
    agencies that would probably more helpful, might try googling for that.

    Have you considered a less lethal goal? Unless you are an extremely
    active hiker, climber, survivalist sort of gung ho guy, that's an
    awfully big chunk to bite off.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Brian

    Scraggy Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Aloha,
    >
    > I am planning a hike to the summit of Mt. Everest in two years.

    Hiking?
    You have looked here using Google Earth? And used the tilt facility?
    27.58.51.15 N 86.55.09.76 E
    Air Ambulance of your choice. Particularly if it's based in Lhasa.

    JHC

    members. Groucho Marx
    Scraggy, Jun 27, 2006
  4. Brian

    Stickems. Guest

    Take out life insurance and instruct that any proceeds go to your chosen
    charity. That way you can't lose.

    Stickems., Jun 27, 2006
  5. Brian

    Deano Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Aloha,
    >
    > I am planning a hike to the summit of Mt. Everest in two years. Myself and
    > several friends, when we are all out of college. Think of it as the Wright
    > brothers goal to fly.
    >
    > We are creating a website for our mission. We are seeking out funding,
    > donations and contributions from major corporations to fund the hike. We

    are
    > not only going to do it for ourselves, but in order to secure funds and

    get
    > publicity, we are going to target a foundation to which we will raise

    money
    > for throughout the endeavor. The question is, who should we look in to
    > hiking for?
    >
    > Cancer research is always popular and gets mass attention, but while it is

    > noble cause, I don't see any amount of money (short of many billions from
    > Bill Gates, maybe) advancing us toward a cure for cancer anytime soon, and
    > thus not the right cause for this. I really want to do good for something
    > that we can really make a difference with.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for who look into raising for? Keep in

    mind
    > this is still a couple years away, but it's time to start planning and
    > training.
    >
    > Aloha
    > Brian

    How about raising money for local charities over there? How about the
    porters?

    http://www.portersprogress.org/

    This chap took some photos of locals and made a few comments;;

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkulin/sets/72057594063386263/
    Deano, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-27, Brian <> wrote:
    > Aloha,
    >
    > I am planning a hike to the summit of Mt. Everest in two years. Myself and
    > several friends, when we are all out of college. Think of it as the Wright
    > brothers goal to fly.
    >
    > We are creating a website for our mission. We are seeking out funding,
    > donations and contributions from major corporations to fund the hike. We are
    > not only going to do it for ourselves, but in order to secure funds and get
    > publicity, we are going to target a foundation to which we will raise money
    > for throughout the endeavor. The question is, who should we look in to
    > hiking for?

    snip

    How about something that will be of benefit to the people of Nepal?

    You could make your climb (it is not a hike!) into a litter-clearing
    expedition; the climb itself is getting to be a bit old hat:

    ..-----<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4672545.stm>
    | [...]
    |
    | But there is a more mundane issue to be addressed by those who care for
    | this region - the increasing number of visitors and the rubbish they leave
    | behind.
    |
    | The once pristine snowscape became strewn with human waste, and earned an
    | unflattering reputation for being the "world's highest garbage site".
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While it took 30 years for the first 150 climbers to surmount Everest, the
    | same number completed the expedition over a three-day period in 2001.
    |
    | The number of successful summiteers now stands at 2,249, "and counting",
    | says EverestNews.com.
    |
    | A few weeks ago, 45 people reached the top in the same day, including a
    | couple who got married there.
    |
    | [...]
    '-----

    There are parts of London quieter than that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 27, 2006
  7. Brian

    Plato Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > We are creating a website for our mission. We are seeking out funding,

    Use your own money. About $70,000 to hike from the "real" base station.
    About $50,000 to hike from the "harder" routes.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 1, 2006