    in my tray. Norton did not catch/stop them. The only way I could remove them
    was through System Restore. Anyone know why Norton does not work in these
    instances?

    mwm, Oct 5, 2006

  2. mwm wrote:

    > I am a subscriber to Norton 2006 AntiVirus. On 2 separate occasions I have
    > been hit with corrupt anti-spyware programs through trojans: SpyFalcon and
    > VirusBurst. These hijacked my home page and put up fake "infection notices"
    > in my tray. Norton did not catch/stop them. The only way I could remove them
    > was through System Restore.

    No, the only way that obviously removed them. Doesn't mean that the malware
    is now gone.

    > Anyone know why Norton does not work in these instances?

    Because virus scanners are conceptionally incomplete?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Oct 5, 2006

  3. From: "mwm" <>

    | I am a subscriber to Norton 2006 AntiVirus. On 2 separate occasions I have
    | been hit with corrupt anti-spyware programs through trojans: SpyFalcon and
    | VirusBurst. These hijacked my home page and put up fake "infection notices"
    | in my tray. Norton did not catch/stop them. The only way I could remove them
    | was through System Restore. Anyone know why Norton does not work in these
    | instances?

    Two part reply..

    Perform Part 1 then perform Part 2.

    If the first two parts don't work, perform the alternate section.

    It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode.

    Part 1
    -----------

    Use noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, et. al., removal tool -- SmitRem.exe
    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click counter/click.php?id=1

    Part 2
    -----------

    Download SmitFraud.exe from the URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/SmitFraud.exe

    Execute; SmitFraud.exe { Note: You must accept the default of C:\McAfee }
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee related files.

    Execute; c:\mcafee\clean.bat
    { or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

    A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\Normal_ScanReport.HTML or
    C:\mcafee\Safe_ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the end of the scan, it will be
    displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer). However, if you are using
    WinXP, Win2K or Win2003 your system will be left in a state where you will have to manually
    shutdown/reboot the PC. On Win9x/ME platforms the report will not be shown in your bowser
    but your PC will automatically be shutdown. It is suggested that you move the report out of
    c:\mcafee before performing another scan.

    It would be best to scan in both Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
    report for each session.

    ALTERNATE:

    S!ri's SmitfraudFix
    http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

    Please Copy and Paste the contents of the HTML Log files;
    C:\mcafee\Normal_ScanReport.HTML & C:\mcafee\Safe_ScanReport.HTML in your reply.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Oct 5, 2006