  1. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Take me to Cuba

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Brian H¹©

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Take me to Cuba

    Sorry, don't go sarf a da river, guv.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Brian H¹©

    trout Guest

    Slumpy wrote:

    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:
    >
    >> Take me to Cuba

    > Sorry, don't go sarf a da river, guv.

    Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    Liberation Front of Southern Togo.
    --
    "You will also give me your wallets and jewelry."

    trout, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    trout typed:
    > Slumpy wrote:
    >
    >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    >> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:
    >>
    >>> Take me to Cuba

    >> Sorry, don't go sarf a da river, guv.

    > Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    > Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    ilmc, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >> trout typed:

    >>> Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    >>> Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    >> Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    > Surely not ?
    > I was born in Gillet Road, off the High Street, and terrorised the
    > neighbourhood for 3 years in the 70's ;-)

    I didn't know your real name was Kevin ;-)

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Brian H¹©

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: ilmc stated for the record...
    > trout typed:
    >> Slumpy wrote:
    >>
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    >>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹©
    >>> continued:

    >>> Sorry, don't go sarf a da river, guv.

    >> Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    >> Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    > Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    Freedom For Tooting! :)

    slylittlei, Jul 6, 2003
  7. Brian H¹©

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as slylittlei continued:

    > A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    > arboreal in it's habits: ilmc stated for the record...
    >> trout typed:

    >>> Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    >>> Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    >> Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    > Freedom For Tooting! :)

    Paaar to de Peepole !!!!!
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jul 6, 2003
  8. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... slylittlei said:

    > A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    > arboreal in it's habits: ilmc stated for the record...
    >> trout typed:

    >>> Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    >>> Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    >> Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    > Freedom For Tooting! :)

    Hello Foxy :-D

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003
  9. Brian H¹©

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Errrrr...erm... slylittlei said:
    >
    >> A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    >> arboreal in it's habits: ilmc stated for the record...
    >>> trout typed:

    >>> Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    >> Freedom For Tooting! :)

    > Hello Foxy :-D

    Shouldn't that be "Hello Alfie. Where's Spencer ?" ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jul 6, 2003
  10. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    Slumpy typed:
    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >> trout typed:

    >>> Turn this thread around! I claim it in the name of the Popular
    >>> Liberation Front of Southern Togo.

    >> Home rule for Thornton Heath!

    > Surely not ?
    > I was born in Gillet Road, off the High Street, and terrorised the
    > neighbourhood for 3 years in the 70's ;-)

    Oh yes. Born Mayday Hospital 27/6/47. Family home had front gate in West
    Croyon, but the rest was in fornton eef..
    I actually saw the pond, with trams going around it.
    Sad old fart.

    ilmc, Jul 6, 2003
  11. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    Slumpy typed:
    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >>> Surely not ?
    >>> I was born in Gillet Road, off the High Street, and terrorised the
    >>> neighbourhood for 3 years in the 70's ;-)

    >> Oh yes. Born Mayday Hospital 27/6/47. Family home had front gate in
    >> West Croyon, but the rest was in fornton eef..
    >> I actually saw the pond, with trams going around it.
    >> Sad old fart.

    > Was born *on* Mayday '61, and my mum freaked because she thought she
    > was being dragged into hospital, and it was just May 1st - so if my
    > geography is correct, does that make you a Bang'ole boy then ?
    >
    > Also my mum went paddling in the pond ;-)

    Lost me on the "Bang'ole boy" bit. Tooo long north of the river
    Bensham Lane. Crystal Palice Dynasours. Bedington park - with crested
    newts.
    Girls!

    ilmc, Jul 6, 2003
  12. Brian H¹©

    Slumpy Guest

    Re: Hijacking a thread - The nostalgia trip

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > Slumpy typed:
    >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    >> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >>> Oh yes. Born Mayday Hospital 27/6/47. Family home had front gate in
    >>> West Croyon, but the rest was in fornton eef..
    >>> I actually saw the pond, with trams going around it.
    >>> Sad old fart.

    >> Was born *on* Mayday '61, and my mum freaked because she thought she
    >> was being dragged into hospital, and it was just May 1st - so if my
    >> geography is correct, does that make you a Bang'ole boy then ?
    >>
    >> Also my mum went paddling in the pond ;-)

    > Lost me on the "Bang'ole boy" bit. Tooo long north of the river
    > Bensham Lane. Crystal Palice Dynasours. Bedington park - with
    > crested newts.
    > Girls!

    Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the roads....
    Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as much)
    and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind Mayday. My
    Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant mortality rate was the
    highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God, replaced by faceless blocks of
    flats with people who don't know each other.
    Ecclesbourne School ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  13. Brian H¹©

    Bigjon Guest

    Re: Hijacking a thread - The nostalgia trip

    Slumpy declared:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >> Slumpy typed:
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    >>> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >>> Was born *on* Mayday '61, and my mum freaked because she thought she
    >>> was being dragged into hospital, and it was just May 1st - so if my
    >>> geography is correct, does that make you a Bang'ole boy then ?
    >>>
    >>> Also my mum went paddling in the pond ;-)

    >> Lost me on the "Bang'ole boy" bit. Tooo long north of the river
    >> Bensham Lane. Crystal Palice Dynasours. Bedington park - with
    >> crested newts.
    >> Girls!

    > Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the roads....
    > Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    > Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as much)
    > and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind Mayday. My
    > Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant mortality rate was the
    > highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God, replaced by faceless blocks of
    > flats with people who don't know each other.
    > Ecclesbourne School ?

    Playing in the grounds of the MayDay from Woodcroft Rd, where we used to
    live in a Two-up, Two-Down. Sunday afternoons in the side pool-room in the
    Brigstock arms, The chippy on the corner of Bensham & Woodcroft, next to
    the dairy where my dad worked... I remember Beddington park, the Boating
    lake, the Dogfish under the Bridge and the Spring by the Motel for a drink
    on a hot sunnty day.. I also seem to vaguely recollect a giant Tortoise in
    the Crystal palace park that you could get rides on as a kid ?

    Seems like another life...
    --
    You can't have it all -
    Where would you put it ?

    Bigjon, Jul 7, 2003
  14. Brian H¹©

    Bigjon Guest

    Re: Hijacking a thread - The nostalgia trip

    Slumpy declared:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bigjon continued:

    >> Slumpy declared:
    >>
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    >>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >>> Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the
    >>> roads.... Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    >>> Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as
    >>> much) and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind
    >>> Mayday. My Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant
    >>> mortality rate was the highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God,
    >>> replaced by faceless blocks of flats with people who don't know each
    >>> other.
    >>> Ecclesbourne School ?

    >> Playing in the grounds of the MayDay from Woodcroft Rd, where we used
    >> to live in a Two-up, Two-Down. Sunday afternoons in the side
    >> pool-room in the Brigstock arms, The chippy on the corner of Bensham
    >> & Woodcroft, next to
    >> the dairy where my dad worked... I remember Beddington park, the
    >> Boating lake, the Dogfish under the Bridge and the Spring by the
    >> Motel for a drink on a hot sunnty day.. I also seem to vaguely
    >> recollect a giant Tortoise in the Crystal palace park that you could
    >> get rides on as a kid ?
    >>
    >> Seems like another life...

    > Remember when sunday afternoons were quiet as the grave ?
    > No shops open until 7pm (for beer and fags only), no cars on the roads,
    > football on the telly...I remember the 70's in TH being bored every weekend
    >:)
    > Grange Woods was another place we hung out in. Halfway up Norwood Hill.
    > Beulah Woods too. And on the bridge between Gillet road and Bensham Manor
    > Road that spanned the railway, and in the 60's sitting in the Wilton Arms
    > drinking coke through a straw (now *there's* a novelty) waiting for my
    > Grandad to finish his pint, watching the Salvation Army brass band every
    > Sunday morning....
    > Now the High Street is full of downmarket crap, and there's nobody about.
    > When I was a kid it was Hell trying to negotiate the way along the pavement.
    > Pushchairs, prams, dogs, people...and all the old shops, the butchers,
    > greengrocers, fishmongers, have all gone. Every one. Fuckin Tesco's and
    > Sainsbury's have killed the High Street in this country :-(

    Same thing here in the North, we moved here 20 years ago to get away from
    the depressing South London burbs, but nothing different here - all the
    small towns are dying and the shops are all in groups out of town and a bus
    ride away...
    Grandmother still lives on Alma Rd, and still uses the shops at TH Pond,
    but mainly goes to the Bingo. She can't get to the "big shops" so has to
    pay the price of the corner shop at the Pond..

    Best memory of 70's - being taken on the bus to Streatham Common on hot
    summer afternoons (as a toddler) to paddle in the pool opposite Streatham
    Bus Garage...

    I remember the Bang'ole - They rebuilt part of Wilford Rd in the 60's, and
    we got a great little park out of it - I remember the area round it had a
    terrible reputation and coppers would only go there in pairs :))
    Foster Road was joined to Wilford Road by a walkway and this was where all
    the dossers and low-lifes would hang out.

    Hey, I just checked out a Map - they've put the Trams back into croydon
    after 60 years - They were great fun, bet they aren't any fun now !!

    You can't have it all -
    Where would you put it ?

    Bigjon, Jul 7, 2003
  15. Brian H¹©

> [...]

    > pay the price of the corner shop at the Pond..
    >
    > Best memory of 70's - being taken on the bus to Streatham Common on
    > hot summer afternoons (as a toddler) to paddle in the pool opposite
    > Streatham
    > Bus Garage...
    >
    > I remember the Bang'ole - They rebuilt part of Wilford Rd in the
    > 60's, and
    > we got a great little park out of it - I remember the area round it
    > had a terrible reputation and coppers would only go there in pairs
    > :))
    > Foster Road was joined to Wilford Road by a walkway and this was
    > where all the dossers and low-lifes would hang out.
    >
    > Hey, I just checked out a Map - they've put the Trams back into
    > croydon
    > after 60 years - They were great fun, bet they aren't any fun now !!

    The trams are pretty good actually - from Wimbledon to Beckenham, behind
    houses and round back alleys, through all the important places. Never been
    on one, but they are quite popular apparently.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  16. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    "Slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > > Slumpy typed:
    > >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    > >> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > >> Was born *on* Mayday '61, and my mum freaked because she thought she
    > >> was being dragged into hospital, and it was just May 1st - so if my
    > >> geography is correct, does that make you a Bang'ole boy then ?
    > >>
    > >> Also my mum went paddling in the pond ;-)

    > > Lost me on the "Bang'ole boy" bit. Tooo long north of the river
    > > Bensham Lane. Crystal Palice Dynasours. Bedington park - with
    > > crested newts.
    > > Girls!

    > Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the

    roads....
    > Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    > Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as much)
    > and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind Mayday. My
    > Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant mortality rate was the
    > highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God, replaced by faceless blocks of
    > flats with people who don't know each other.
    > Ecclesbourne School ?
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    Oh what a nostalgia jag . :)
    My (twin) sister still lives there - of Queens Road, at the back of the bone
    yard.
    Haven't been back since my mother died in '98 - hate the place. I remember
    watching the Royal Horse Artillery charging around the school playing fields
    which are now beneath the Whitgift Shopping Centre. Dramatic. They don't
    always miss!

    ps: did you ever unglue your hd cable?

    ilmc, Jul 7, 2003
  17. Brian H¹©

    slumpy Guest

    Re: Hijacking a thread - The nostalgia trip

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >>> Lost me on the "Bang'ole boy" bit. Tooo long north of the river
    >>> Bensham Lane. Crystal Palice Dynasours. Bedington park - with
    >>> crested newts.
    >>> Girls!

    >> Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the
    >> roads.... Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    >> Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as
    >> much) and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind
    >> Mayday. My Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant
    >> mortality rate was the highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God,
    >> replaced by faceless blocks of flats with people who don't know each
    >> other.
    >> Ecclesbourne School ?
    >>

    > Oh what a nostalgia jag . :)
    > My (twin) sister still lives there - of Queens Road, at the back of
    > the bone yard.
    > Haven't been back since my mother died in '98 - hate the place. I
    > remember watching the Royal Horse Artillery charging around the
    > school playing fields which are now beneath the Whitgift Shopping
    > Centre. Dramatic. They don't always miss!
    >
    > ps: did you ever unglue your hd cable?

    Yeah, it popped out with very little resistance after I shaved a bit off.
    There wasn't as much as it looked from the outside :)
    --
    slumpy
    ¬¬¬¬¬

    slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  18. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > >> Bensham lane, and the brook behind the houses that runs under the
    > >> roads.... Crystal Palace park, motor racing, swimming and Dino's :-D
    > >> Bang'ole was where Cleo Lane was born (tho she doesn't ever admit as
    > >> much) and was between Whitehorse Road and Broad Green, behind
    > >> Mayday. My Grandparents were born there, apparently the infant
    > >> mortality rate was the highest in the UK. All gone now, thank God,
    > >> replaced by faceless blocks of flats with people who don't know each
    > >> other.
    > >> Ecclesbourne School ?
    > >>

    > > Oh what a nostalgia jag . :)
    > > My (twin) sister still lives there - of Queens Road, at the back of
    > > the bone yard.
    > > Haven't been back since my mother died in '98 - hate the place. I
    > > remember watching the Royal Horse Artillery charging around the
    > > school playing fields which are now beneath the Whitgift Shopping
    > > Centre. Dramatic. They don't always miss!
    > >
    > > ps: did you ever unglue your hd cable?

    > Yeah, it popped out with very little resistance after I shaved a bit off.
    > There wasn't as much as it looked from the outside :)
    > --
    > slumpy
    > ¬¬¬¬¬
    > "I think they'd be great but not as great as they are today" - ziole on

    Led
    > Zeppelin

    ;-)

    ilmc, Jul 7, 2003
  19. Brian H¹©

    slumpy Guest

    Re: Hijacking a thread - The nostalgia trip

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > Oh what a nostalgia jag . :)
    > My (twin) sister still lives there - of Queens Road, at the back of
    > the bone yard.

    By the cemetary ?
    We used to visit this couple with two boys the same age as me and my brother
    in this little cul-de-sac with allotments/bombsite rubble at the end, and a
    huge wall facing their house. And /every/ time, we ended up fighting with
    them. And winning. My brother's a nutter and I can run fast ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  20. Brian H¹©

    ilmc Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:
    >
    > > Oh what a nostalgia jag . :)
    > > My (twin) sister still lives there - of Queens Road, at the back of
    > > the bone yard.

    > By the cemetary ?
    > We used to visit this couple with two boys the same age as me and my

    brother
    > in this little cul-de-sac with allotments/bombsite rubble at the end, and

    > huge wall facing their house. And /every/ time, we ended up fighting with
    > them. And winning. My brother's a nutter and I can run fast ;-)
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    Are we (tinw) talking about Frant Rd and Kidderminster? Did bread round
    around there - 6s a day!

    ilmc, Jul 7, 2003