    Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    indistingush white mess.
    leo, Oct 6, 2004

  2. leo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "leo"

    >I notice that Capture One doesn't preserve the highlight as well as
    >Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    >manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    >indistingush white mess.

    Try these two things to bring highlights down in C1 ... under the 'exposure'
    tab lower the EC value, or under 'exposure' in the drop-down box that probably
    says 'Film Standard' change the film type to 'linear response'.

    If all else fails I guess you could try properly exposing the shot in the first
    place so the highlights don't get blown out ... check the histogram
    occasionally while you shoot if the light is contrasty :)
    Bill Hilton, Oct 6, 2004

  3. leo

    leo Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "leo"

    >>I notice that Capture One doesn't preserve the highlight as well as
    >>Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    >>manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    >>indistingush white mess.

    > Try these two things to bring highlights down in C1 ... under the
    > 'exposure'
    > tab lower the EC value, or under 'exposure' in the drop-down box that
    > probably
    > says 'Film Standard' change the film type to 'linear response'.
    >
    > If all else fails I guess you could try properly exposing the shot in the
    > first
    > place so the highlights don't get blown out ... check the histogram
    > occasionally while you shoot if the light is contrasty :)

    The exposure is not bad at all. Just wondering how Photoshop can preserve
    the details and if possible to set C1 up to do the same. Setting film type
    to linear just make the whole image slightly darker which is not what I
    want. Does Photshop's converter have higher dynamic range?
    leo, Oct 6, 2004
  4. leo

    Guest

    In message <>,
    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >>From: "leo"

    >>I notice that Capture One doesn't preserve the highlight as well as
    >>Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    >>manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    >>indistingush white mess.

    >Try these two things to bring highlights down in C1 ... under the 'exposure'
    >tab lower the EC value, or under 'exposure' in the drop-down box that probably
    >says 'Film Standard' change the film type to 'linear response'.
    >
    >If all else fails I guess you could try properly exposing the shot in the first
    >place so the highlights don't get blown out ... check the histogram
    >occasionally while you shoot if the light is contrasty :)

    If you go literally by the histogram on the 10D, you will always be
    under-utilizing the dynamic range of the camera. The RAW data has a
    stop or more of highlights than the JPEG-based histogram.

    I like to see at least a little flashing in the histogram.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Oct 7, 2004
  5. leo

    leo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In message <>,
    > dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:
    >
    >>>From: "leo"

    >>>I notice that Capture One doesn't preserve the highlight as well as
    >>>Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    >>>manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    >>>indistingush white mess.

    >>Try these two things to bring highlights down in C1 ... under the
    >>'exposure'
    >>tab lower the EC value, or under 'exposure' in the drop-down box that
    >>probably
    >>says 'Film Standard' change the film type to 'linear response'.
    >>
    >>If all else fails I guess you could try properly exposing the shot in the
    >>first
    >>place so the highlights don't get blown out ... check the histogram
    >>occasionally while you shoot if the light is contrasty :)

    > If you go literally by the histogram on the 10D, you will always be
    > under-utilizing the dynamic range of the camera. The RAW data has a
    > stop or more of highlights than the JPEG-based histogram.
    >
    > I like to see at least a little flashing in the histogram.

    > John P Sheehy <>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    Does Photoshop CS RAW 2.3 have wider dynamic range than Capture One 3.5.2? I
    tried linear, film standard and high contrast setting in C1 but nothing as
    contrasty as ARC 2.3.
    leo, Oct 7, 2004
  6. leo

    Guest

    In message <GM39d.10582$>,
    "leo" <> wrote:

    >Does Photoshop CS RAW 2.3 have wider dynamic range than Capture One 3.5.2? I
    >tried linear, film standard and high contrast setting in C1 but nothing as
    >contrasty as ARC 2.3.

    I don't know. My experience is with C1 1.2.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Oct 8, 2004
  7. leo

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>, <> wrote:
    >In message <>,
    > (Bill Hilton) wrote:
    >
    >>>From: "leo"

    >>>I notice that Capture One doesn't preserve the highlight as well as
    >>>Photoshop's RAW converter 2.3. In area which is close to clipping, ARC
    >>>manages to retain some details while C1 keeps blowing them off to
    >>>indistingush white mess.

    >>Try these two things to bring highlights down in C1 ... under the 'exposure'
    >>tab lower the EC value, or under 'exposure' in the drop-down box that probably
    >>says 'Film Standard' change the film type to 'linear response'.
    >>
    >>If all else fails I guess you could try properly exposing the shot in the first
    >>place so the highlights don't get blown out ... check the histogram
    >>occasionally while you shoot if the light is contrasty :)

    >If you go literally by the histogram on the 10D, you will always be
    >under-utilizing the dynamic range of the camera. The RAW data has a
    >stop or more of highlights than the JPEG-based histogram.
    >
    >I like to see at least a little flashing in the histogram.

    Does anyone know if the 300D workes the same ? I shoot RAW all the
    time and find that the histogram frequently shows no pixels in the
    upper third of the graph.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    Al Dykes, Oct 9, 2004
  8. leo

    Guest

    In message <ck7c4d$tk$>,
    (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <>, <> wrote:

    >>If you go literally by the histogram on the 10D, you will always be
    >>under-utilizing the dynamic range of the camera. The RAW data has a
    >>stop or more of highlights than the JPEG-based histogram.

    >>I like to see at least a little flashing in the histogram.

    >Does anyone know if the 300D workes the same ? I shoot RAW all the
    >time and find that the histogram frequently shows no pixels in the
    >upper third of the graph.

    If you're talking about the histogram on the back of the camera, your
    pictures are grossly underexposed. You can boost them to the desired
    brightness in software, but you are effectively shooting at 2 to 4x the
    ISO, and only using 10 or 11 of the 12 bits that the camera records in.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Oct 9, 2004