    working fine. As far as I know, this applies only to the C-2000; your milage
    may vary. I had to jump through the well-documented exposure control hoops
    to get it right, but it's now working very well.
    Michael White, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Michael White

    Jimmy Guest

    "Michael White" <> wrote in message
    news:rsYPb.13970$...
    > In trying to use an external flash with my C-2000, I came across many posts
    > citing the danger of using high-voltage flashes (my Vivitar 283 puts 230
    > volts across the sync cable). A call to Oly tech support confirmed that it
    > is 100% OK to do this. About 100 test flashes later my C-2000 is still
    > working fine. As far as I know, this applies only to the C-2000; your milage
    > may vary. I had to jump through the well-documented exposure control hoops
    > to get it right, but it's now working very well.

    Curious. When I called last year regarding the trigger voltages and my C-5050, the Olympus Support
    person didn't recommend it and suggested a Wein Safe-Sync. I ended up putting my 283 in storage and
    picked up a Promaster 5750. Trigger voltage on it is between 4-5vdc.
    Jimmy, Jan 23, 2004

  3. "Jimmy" <> writes:

    > "Michael White" <> wrote in message
    > > In trying to use an external flash with my C-2000, I came across many posts
    > > citing the danger of using high-voltage flashes (my Vivitar 283 puts 230
    > > volts across the sync cable). A call to Oly tech support confirmed that it
    > > is 100% OK to do this. About 100 test flashes later my C-2000 is still
    > > working fine. As far as I know, this applies only to the C-2000; your
    > > milage may vary. I had to jump through the well-documented exposure control
    > > hoops to get it right, but it's now working very well.
    > >

    > Curious. When I called last year regarding the trigger voltages and my
    > C-5050, the Olympus Support person didn't recommend it and suggested a Wein
    > Safe-Sync. I ended up putting my 283 in storage and picked up a Promaster
    > 5750. Trigger voltage on it is between 4-5vdc.

    I'm suspecting that the C-2000Z may have had isolation circuits to prevent the
    camera from being damaged, but over the years, Olympus may have removed the
    feature to save a dollar or so on the build cost.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Michael White

    gr Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote

    > > Curious. When I called last year regarding the trigger voltages and my
    > > C-5050, the Olympus Support person didn't recommend it and suggested a

    Wein
    > > Safe-Sync. I ended up putting my 283 in storage and picked up a

    Promaster
    > > 5750. Trigger voltage on it is between 4-5vdc.

    > I'm suspecting that the C-2000Z may have had isolation circuits to prevent

    the
    > camera from being damaged, but over the years, Olympus may have removed

    the
    > feature to save a dollar or so on the build cost.

    The C5050 has protection circuitry as well. Depending on who you talk to at
    Olympus, you'll get an okay up to a couple of hundred volts. I suspect some
    support people are either clueless to the real specs, or they're just being
    over-cautious.
    gr, Jan 24, 2004
  5. "gr" <> writes:

    > "Michael Meissner" <> wrote
    > > > >
    > > > Curious. When I called last year regarding the trigger voltages and my
    > > > C-5050, the Olympus Support person didn't recommend it and suggested a

    > Wein
    > > > Safe-Sync. I ended up putting my 283 in storage and picked up a

    > Promaster
    > > > 5750. Trigger voltage on it is between 4-5vdc.

    > > I'm suspecting that the C-2000Z may have had isolation circuits to prevent

    > the
    > > camera from being damaged, but over the years, Olympus may have removed

    > the
    > > feature to save a dollar or so on the build cost.

    > The C5050 has protection circuitry as well. Depending on who you talk to at
    > Olympus, you'll get an okay up to a couple of hundred volts. I suspect some
    > support people are either clueless to the real specs, or they're just being
    > over-cautious.

    Yeah, I've heard that the C-5050Z had protection, but Olympus nevers bothers to
    say whether a camera is safe or not (other than to buy the expensive Olympus
    flashes).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: