High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Heidi Manway, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?

    New Website and Getting High Traffic Google Page Rankings

    Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?

    As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    contract?

    Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    get traffic to it
    experiences if any:) ?

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Jan 23, 2007

  2. Heidi Manway

    Joy Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    > High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?
    >
    > New Website and Getting High Traffic Google Page Rankings
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?
    >
    > Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    > get traffic to it
    > experiences if any:) ?

    Google page rankings....Have relevant, useful, well written content.
    Advertise your site to interested parties so that it becomes visited and
    linked to, especially by well respected sites.
    Rankings take time to evolve, don't expect instant results.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 23, 2007

  3. Heidi Manway

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:10:49 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    >> High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?
    >>
    >> New Website and Getting High Traffic Google Page Rankings
    >>
    >> Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    >> any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >>
    >> As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    >> When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    >> contract?
    >>
    >> Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    >> get traffic to it
    >> experiences if any:) ?

    > Google page rankings....Have relevant, useful, well written content.
    > Advertise your site to interested parties so that it becomes visited and
    > linked to, especially by well respected sites.
    > Rankings take time to evolve, don't expect instant results.
    > Joy

    time, as in years of constant upgrading to your site, and plenty of others
    linking to you. There's no quick fix, no matter what these pseudo
    scientific SEO jokers tell you.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Heidi Manway

    Joy Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:10:49 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >

    >> "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    >>> High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?
    >>>
    >>> New Website and Getting High Traffic Google Page Rankings
    >>>
    >>> Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    >>> any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >>>
    >>> As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    >>> When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    >>> contract?
    >>>
    >>> Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    >>> get traffic to it
    >>> experiences if any:) ?

    >> Google page rankings....Have relevant, useful, well written content.
    >> Advertise your site to interested parties so that it becomes visited and
    >> linked to, especially by well respected sites.
    >> Rankings take time to evolve, don't expect instant results.
    >> Joy

    > time, as in years of constant upgrading to your site, and plenty of others
    > linking to you. There's no quick fix, no matter what these pseudo
    > scientific SEO jokers tell you.

    What about google.nz? Surely this is for local content and page rankings
    should reflect pertinent content quite quickly, at least that is what I
    found.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 24, 2007
  5. Heidi Manway

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:
    > Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    > get traffic to it

    Most importantly, have relevant, high quality content. This will encourage
    people to link to you for the right reasons, which is what Google's entire
    PageRank algorithm tries to ensure is happening.

    Use Google site maps.

    You are better off writing the html by hand than using a program that
    generates it for you, at least until you understand how html markup works at
    a basic level, because you will learn a shitload more that way.

    Get help from alt.html, alt.html.critique and
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. Don't crosspost when it's not
    necessary, use the relevant group only. Use Google Groups to search the
    archives for those groups before asking a question because it's probably
    been asked before.

    Keep your html clean and easy for Google to parse -- try and use semantic
    markup, which means html with css, not tables for layout. Mark lists up as
    lists (<ul>/<ol>), headings up as headings (<h1><h2>etc.), paragraphs of
    text up as paragraphs of text (<p>) and once you've done that use CSS to
    adjust the look and feel. Keep the look of the site simple until you're
    comfortable with the technology.

    Find a text browser or a browser that can display sites as plain text (Opera
    is good, View->Style->User Mode, Emulate Text Browser) because that shows
    you pretty much how Google sees your site.

    Also, try viewing your site with JavaScript turned off, because Google AFAIK
    doesn't bother to parse JavaScript when it crawls, so anything on your site
    that relies on JS won't be seen by Google.

    If you replace text with images make sure you provide good alt text.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 24, 2007
  6. Heidi Manway

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-01-23, Heidi Manway <> wrote:
    > High Traffic Google Page Rankings Website?
    >
    > New Website and Getting High Traffic Google Page Rankings
    >
    > Hi I am looking to set up my own personal website with its OWN Domain
    > any one know of some descent value for money hosting companies?
    >
    > As for web design Templates whats the best route to take.
    > When I sign up to an agreement is it for a minimum of 12 months
    > contract?
    >
    > Whats VERY important is getting my Google Page Rankings High so I can
    > get traffic to it
    > experiences if any:) ?

    use text and ordinary links so that google can read it,
    title and h1 tags, and the first paragraph, are important
    as are keywords.

    google seems to push new websites higher than old one so
    don't be suprised to come lower in searches results after
    a few weeks.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jan 24, 2007
  7. Heidi Manway

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:56:19 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:10:49 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >>

    > What about google.nz? Surely this is for local content and page rankings
    > should reflect pertinent content quite quickly, at least that is what I
    > found.
    > Joy

    Over what period? For example, I run a community based website. 2 years
    ago I was getting 1500 page hits a month ( I dump most of china and korea
    as they're just trying to hack in or the figures would be a lot higher ).
    Since then, it's been revamped, and is generally kept current. Even over
    the last year, you can see the growth has been steady. Look at
    http://www.diamondharbour.org.nz/bbclone/show_time.php?lng=en and you'll
    see what I mean. Even so, you'll often find us ( with the old .net suffix
    ) below Black Cat when you google for Diamond Harbour - depending which
    server you hit - as their website has been around for a few years longer
    than ours.

    This is the only way to get sustainable growth, without paying these
    pumping companies loads of money... they always get caught by google in
    the end, then you get blacklisted.

    The OP was after their own personal website, so why is the google ranking
    and traffic volume so important anyway? Ego?

    Just my findings, and $0.02,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 24, 2007
  8. Heidi Manway

    Joy Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:56:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >

    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:10:49 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >>>

    >> What about google.nz? Surely this is for local content and page rankings
    >> should reflect pertinent content quite quickly, at least that is what I
    >> found.
    >> Joy

    > Over what period? For example, I run a community based website. 2 years
    > ago I was getting 1500 page hits a month ( I dump most of china and korea
    > as they're just trying to hack in or the figures would be a lot higher ).
    > Since then, it's been revamped, and is generally kept current. Even over
    > the last year, you can see the growth has been steady. Look at
    > http://www.diamondharbour.org.nz/bbclone/show_time.php?lng=en and you'll
    > see what I mean. Even so, you'll often find us ( with the old .net suffix
    > ) below Black Cat when you google for Diamond Harbour - depending which
    > server you hit - as their website has been around for a few years longer
    > than ours.
    >
    > This is the only way to get sustainable growth, without paying these
    > pumping companies loads of money... they always get caught by google in
    > the end, then you get blacklisted.
    >
    > The OP was after their own personal website, so why is the google ranking
    > and traffic volume so important anyway? Ego?
    >
    > Just my findings, and $0.02,

    Lovely pages. I googled your page 'Diamond Harbour' and it came up top of
    the listings. 'Diamond Harbour New Zealand' came in below Black Cat.
    'diamond harbour site:.nz' did not come up within the first twenty listings
    on google.co.nz. I think you should use 'New Zealand' on your first page.
    For me, traffic is not so important as getting the pages seen by those who
    will benefit by them.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 24, 2007
  9. Heidi Manway

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:01:55 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > Lovely pages. I googled your page 'Diamond Harbour' and it came up top of
    > the listings. 'Diamond Harbour New Zealand' came in below Black Cat.
    > 'diamond harbour site:.nz' did not come up within the first twenty listings
    > on google.co.nz. I think you should use 'New Zealand' on your first page.
    > For me, traffic is not so important as getting the pages seen by those who
    > will benefit by them.
    > Joy

    Glad you like it - I think it's looks a bit dated, but I've probably seen
    it more often than you! Good point about the NZ bit... there's another
    Diamond Harbour in India, and we do get a few links from there.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 25, 2007