    old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Lei

    Lei Wu, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Lei Wu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
    >
    > Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
    > old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Lei

    It depends on the camera, some take advantage of higher speed SD cards,
    others do not. But even if your present camera does not, your next one
    might. If you have a USB 2.0 hi-speed or FireWire card reader you will
    see the benefit when reading files into your computer.

    Personally, I have used and recommend KingMax Platinum and SanDisk Ultra
    II SD cards.

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 18, 2005

  3. "Lei Wu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
    >
    > Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
    > old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Last night I tested two different cards in a Panasonic DMC-FX20

    A TIFF file took 20 seconds to write to a 256mb SD card
    but only 5 seconds to a 1gb Extreme 111 card.

    Steve

    Biker2 \(Threadstopper\), Apr 18, 2005
  4. Lei Wu

    Winston Guest

    Check out:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Enjoy.

    Winston, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Lei Wu

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lei Wu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
    >
    > Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
    > old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Lei

    Tell us what kind of camera, and maybe we can help. Probably if you
    have to ask, you don't have a camera that needs high speed cards.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Lei Wu

    Guest

    Guys, thanks for your responses.

    My digital camera is HP R707. After reading your comments, I guess I
    just need a regular SD card.

    Thanks.

    Lei

    , Apr 19, 2005
  7. Lei Wu

    D Cheung Guest

    For my Canon SD300, I can shoot continously (about 2.4 fps) until the
    card is full with a Scandisk Ultra II card, but it stop shooting after
    a few frames with a regular speed SD card.

    D Cheung, Apr 20, 2005
  8. Lei Wu <> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.

    : Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
    : old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?

    : Any advice would be appreciated.

    As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
    computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.

    Here's how I think of the card speed issue. If you are only going to be
    driving on a local road with a speed limit of 35mph, you don't need a
    Ferrari. On the other hand, if you are driving the Autoban, a VW bug
    (1960's version) just won't be the same. You can use both vehicles on both
    types of road, but only one pairing fits. But as one person mentioned, if
    there is a chance that a future purchase of new equipment may be more
    closely paired with HS cards, and the price difference is not much or does
    not make your wallet scream, then go ahead and purchase the HS cards. Too
    much speed capability would rarely cause capability difficulties.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Lei Wu

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > Lei Wu <> wrote:
    > : Hi,
    >
    > : I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
    >
    > : Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
    > : old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
    >
    > : Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
    > computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.
    >
    > Here's how I think of the card speed issue. If you are only going to be
    > driving on a local road with a speed limit of 35mph, you don't need a
    > Ferrari. On the other hand, if you are driving the Autoban, a VW bug
    > (1960's version) just won't be the same. You can use both vehicles on both
    > types of road, but only one pairing fits. But as one person mentioned, if
    > there is a chance that a future purchase of new equipment may be more
    > closely paired with HS cards, and the price difference is not much or does
    > not make your wallet scream, then go ahead and purchase the HS cards. Too
    > much speed capability would rarely cause capability difficulties.
    >
    > JMHO
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    Then there is the fact that if you use a high speed card reader, you
    will, at least, benefit from faster transfers to your computer. Dumping
    a full 1GB card across USB 1.1 is not a fast process...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    : Randy Berbaum wrote:
    : >
    : > As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
    : > computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.
    : >
    : Then there is the fact that if you use a high speed card reader, you
    : will, at least, benefit from faster transfers to your computer. Dumping
    : a full 1GB card across USB 1.1 is not a fast process...

    I agree. That's why I mentioned both the camera and reader as factors for
    concideration. :)

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL