    speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.

    If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    purchase a high speed card. Right?

    Bob Simon, Nov 29, 2007

  2. On Nov 29, 8:16 am, Bob Simon <> wrote:
    > I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    > memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    > including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    > trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    > memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    > following a correct analysis?
    >
    > Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    > So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    > speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >
    > If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    > purchase a high speed card. Right?

    Depends on what you want to do while reading out the card to your
    computer! 2GB of jpegs is a lot of images, and will take quite a few
    minutes to download to your computer. If you want to go fix a cup of
    coffee, fine, but I find the download delay the reason I want fast
    cards, even though I do not ordinarily take bursts.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Bob Simon

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:16:38 -0600, Bob Simon wrote:

    > I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    > memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    > including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    > trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    > memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    > following a correct analysis?
    >
    > Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    > So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    > speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >
    > If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    > purchase a high speed card. Right?

    Since you're already in for wasting money on a proprietary memory card
    format, you might as well go for broke.

    ray, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:55:15 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 29, 8:16 am, Bob Simon <> wrote:
    >> I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    >> memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    >> including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    >> trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    >> memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    >> following a correct analysis?
    >>
    >> Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    >> So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    >> speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >>
    >> If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    >> purchase a high speed card. Right?

    >Depends on what you want to do while reading out the card to your
    >computer! 2GB of jpegs is a lot of images, and will take quite a few
    >minutes to download to your computer. If you want to go fix a cup of
    >coffee, fine, but I find the download delay the reason I want fast
    >cards, even though I do not ordinarily take bursts.

    Download time to my computer is not an issue for me but I want to
    shoot bursts of 10-15 seconds. I presume the camera limits this to 2
    fps due to memory write speed.

    Bob Simon, Nov 29, 2007
  5. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:48:18 -0700, ray <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:16:38 -0600, Bob Simon wrote:
    >
    >> I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    >> memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    >> including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    >> trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    >> memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    >> following a correct analysis?
    >>
    >> Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    >> So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    >> speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >>
    >> If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    >> purchase a high speed card. Right?

    >Since you're already in for wasting money on a proprietary memory card
    >format, you might as well go for broke.

    While I would be pleased if the camera took CF cards (because I have
    several) or SD, this is not a priority to me.

    I chose the DSC-H3 because it meets 4 criteria:
    1) Reviews of the camera state that it has a decent lens
    2) The shutter lag is especially short for this type of camera
    3) The camera is relatively small in size and weight
    4) It's under $300

    I am not aware of another camera that meets these four goals but if
    you are, I'd be happy to consider it.

    Bob Simon, Nov 29, 2007
  6. Bob Simon

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:16:26 -0600, Bob Simon wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:48:18 -0700, ray <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:16:38 -0600, Bob Simon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    >>> memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    >>> including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    >>> trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    >>> memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    >>> following a correct analysis?
    >>>
    >>> Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    >>> So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    >>> speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >>>
    >>> If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    >>> purchase a high speed card. Right?

    >>Since you're already in for wasting money on a proprietary memory card
    >>format, you might as well go for broke.

    > While I would be pleased if the camera took CF cards (because I have
    > several) or SD, this is not a priority to me.
    >
    > I chose the DSC-H3 because it meets 4 criteria:
    > 1) Reviews of the camera state that it has a decent lens
    > 2) The shutter lag is especially short for this type of camera
    > 3) The camera is relatively small in size and weight
    > 4) It's under $300
    >
    > I am not aware of another camera that meets these four goals but if
    > you are, I'd be happy to consider it.

    I'm glad that memory type is not an issue for you. It would be for me. I
    won't consider a camera with proprietary memory cards - that rules out
    most Sony, Olympus and Fuji models; though I am considering a Sony Alpha
    DSLR.

    ray, Nov 29, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    Bob Simon <> wrote:

    > I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    > memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    > including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    > trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    > memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    > following a correct analysis?
    >
    > Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    > So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    > speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >
    > If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    > purchase a high speed card. Right?

    It's probably more like 6 to 8 MB per photo. If that's a 12 bit sensor
    it's going to make 11.4MB. Throw in lossless raw file compression and
    you're at 6 to 8 MB.

    The camera's manual should specify what memory speeds are required for
    different features. Personally, I'd avoid Sony memory. They're usually
    a step or two behind in size compared to more standard formats.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 30, 2007
  8. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:04:22 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Bob Simon <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    >> memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    >> including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    >> trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    >> memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    >> following a correct analysis?
    >>
    >> Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    >> So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    >> speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    >>
    >> If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    >> purchase a high speed card. Right?

    >It's probably more like 6 to 8 MB per photo. If that's a 12 bit sensor
    >it's going to make 11.4MB. Throw in lossless raw file compression and
    >you're at 6 to 8 MB.
    >
    >The camera's manual should specify what memory speeds are required for
    >different features. Personally, I'd avoid Sony memory. They're usually
    >a step or two behind in size compared to more standard formats.

    Kevin,
    I thought that memory requirements could be directly calculated from
    the image size in pixels. No?

    Bob Simon, Nov 30, 2007
  9. In article <>,
    Bob Simon <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:04:22 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Bob Simon <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am about to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 camera and 2 GB
    > >> memory. This camera accepts a variety of Memory Stick Duo cards
    > >> including Pro and high-speed and has 31 MB internal memory. I'm
    > >> trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra money for high-speed
    > >> memory in order to take 30 frames at 2fps in burst mode. Is the
    > >> following a correct analysis?
    > >>
    > >> Max image size: 3264x2448 = 7.99 Mb per frame or about 1MB per frame.
    > >> So 30 frames can be held in the internal memory until stored (at slow
    > >> speed) into a standard memory stick duo card.
    > >>
    > >> If this is correct, it suggests that I'd be wasting my money to
    > >> purchase a high speed card. Right?

    > >It's probably more like 6 to 8 MB per photo. If that's a 12 bit sensor
    > >it's going to make 11.4MB. Throw in lossless raw file compression and
    > >you're at 6 to 8 MB.
    > >
    > >The camera's manual should specify what memory speeds are required for
    > >different features. Personally, I'd avoid Sony memory. They're usually
    > >a step or two behind in size compared to more standard formats.

    > Kevin,
    > I thought that memory requirements could be directly calculated from
    > the image size in pixels. No?

    No. Both JPEG and RAW produce varying sized files due to compression.
    You also have to take into consideration the camera's buffering. The
    capacity can vary from a few photos to dozens of photos. Some have
    continuous buffering while others need to completely unload the buffer
    before resuming. You can probably find the answers in the camera's
    specs and reviews.

    The video requirements are probably the highest. See what speed is
    required for that.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 2, 2007