High speed Internet in 1997

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughin, May 12, 2004.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, May 12, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin

    Rupert Guest

    that would been ihug ultra i am guessing - it's around the time that it was
    introduced from recollection. It's still available today, just you need a
    standard dialup connection for upstream traffic.

    Rupert, May 12, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    Collector Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    >Just came across this:
    >
    >http://web.archive.org/web/19970228073527/http://www.ihug.co.nz/
    >
    >Look in the bottom right hand corner.
    >
    >Flat rate, no data cap, 500kbps for $79 per month, or 60 hours for $59.
    >
    >In February 1997. More than seven years ago. However, this is downstream
    >only.

    Yep Starnet as they intially called it, but ore like 360kbps than 500.
    I was one of the first users when they put the transmitters on sky tower.
    Gave up Ihug after the woods boys pulled back from the business side as
    it got to big to be an efficient company.

    Collector, May 12, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Just came across this:
    >>
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/19970228073527/http://www.ihug.co.nz/
    >>
    >> Look in the bottom right hand corner.
    >>
    >> Flat rate, no data cap, 500kbps for $79 per month, or 60 hours for
    >> $59.
    >>
    >> In February 1997. More than seven years ago. However, this is
    >> downstream only.
    >> --
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    >> http://www.nrkn.com/
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    > that would been ihug ultra i am guessing - it's around the time that
    > it was introduced from recollection. It's still available today, just
    > you need a standard dialup connection for upstream traffic.

    It's just interesting that seven years ago:

    StarNet
    Data cap : None (was probably subject to reasonable use)
    Speed : ~500kps
    Price : $79

    Now:

    Woosh
    Data cap : None (in reality ~7gb)
    Speed : ~250kps
    Price: $54.95

    JetStream Home 1000 Full Speed
    Data cap : 1gb
    Speed : ??? (Says *up* to 50 times faster than dialup, what does that equate
    to in real life?)
    Price: $79

    Prices don't seem to have improved much in seven years. Would be nice to
    see some other high speed plans posted here for comparison, I did a bit of a
    Google but work is very busy at the moment :(

    Nik Coughin, May 12, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    Nihil Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:53:50 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Just came across this:
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/19970228073527/http://www.ihug.co.nz/
    >
    > Look in the bottom right hand corner.
    >
    > Flat rate, no data cap, 500kbps for $79 per month, or 60 hours for $59.
    >
    > In February 1997. More than seven years ago. However, this is downstream
    > only.

    And you had to plug in a gigantic satelite card.

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, May 12, 2004
  6. Nik Coughin

    Nihil Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:01:59 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:

    > It's just interesting that seven years ago:
    >
    > StarNet
    > Data cap : None (was probably subject to reasonable use)
    > Speed : ~500kps
    > Price : $79

    Eventually it slowed down to a crawl and in came the data caps.

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, May 12, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:12:15 +1200, Nihil wrote:

    > Eventually it slowed down to a crawl and in came the data caps.

    So that has not changed either.

    Gordon, May 12, 2004
  8. Nik Coughin

    Peter Grooby Guest

    In article <2dioc.3734$>, nrkn!no-spam!
    @woosh.co.nz says...
    > Rupert wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> Just came across this:
    > >>
    > >> http://web.archive.org/web/19970228073527/http://www.ihug.co.nz/
    > >>
    > >> Look in the bottom right hand corner.
    > >>
    > >> Flat rate, no data cap, 500kbps for $79 per month, or 60 hours for
    > >> $59.
    > >>
    > >> In February 1997. More than seven years ago. However, this is
    > >> downstream only.
    > >> --
    > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > >> http://www.nrkn.com/
    > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    > > that would been ihug ultra i am guessing - it's around the time that
    > > it was introduced from recollection. It's still available today, just
    > > you need a standard dialup connection for upstream traffic.
    > >

    > It's just interesting that seven years ago:
    >
    > StarNet
    > Data cap : None (was probably subject to reasonable use)
    > Speed : ~500kps
    > Price : $79
    >
    > Now:
    >
    > Woosh
    > Data cap : None (in reality ~7gb)
    > Speed : ~250kps
    > Price: $54.95
    >
    > JetStream Home 1000 Full Speed
    > Data cap : 1gb
    > Speed : ??? (Says *up* to 50 times faster than dialup, what does that equate
    > to in real life?)
    > Price: $79
    >
    > Prices don't seem to have improved much in seven years. Would be nice to
    > see some other high speed plans posted here for comparison, I did a bit of a
    > Google but work is very busy at the moment :(

    Saturn Cable
    Data cap : 1gb
    Speed - Supplied as 1Mbps I get up to 1.8Mbps
    Price $50

    Pete

    Remove pants from email address to reply.

    Peter Grooby, May 12, 2004
  9. Nik Coughin

    Dodger Guest

    "Nihil" <> wrote in message

    > And you had to plug in a gigantic satelite card.

    Yep, and it heated up the inside of your PC quite nicely.

    I was the first public user in Lower Hutt when they put the trasmitter on
    one of the hills.
    Great speed (4Mbit), and no data caps... for about 6 months :(

    Dodger, May 12, 2004
  10. Nik Coughin

    Carl Elphick Guest

    > Woosh
    > Data cap : None (in reality ~7gb)
    > Speed : ~250kps
    > Price: $54.95
    >
    > JetStream Home 1000 Full Speed
    > Data cap : 1gb
    > Speed : ??? (Says *up* to 50 times faster than dialup, what does that
    > equate
    > to in real life?)
    > Price: $79
    >
    > Prices don't seem to have improved much in seven years. Would be nice to
    > see some other high speed plans posted here for comparison, I did a bit of
    > Google but work is very busy at the moment :(

    I remember reading on nzwireless.org that wiredcountry have installed 2
    transmitters on the Sky Tower - one pointing north and the other south, both
    with a 60 degree arc.
    So hopefully that will raise an eyebrow at Telecom that there is a faster
    service coming out thats going to cover a reasonable part of auckland very
    soon.

    Carl Elphick, May 12, 2004
  11. Nik Coughin

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <2dioc.3734$>,
    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

    > It's just interesting that seven years ago:
    >
    > StarNet
    > Data cap : None (was probably subject to reasonable use)
    > Speed : ~500kps
    > Price : $79

    I had StarNet back then.

    Note that the 500 kbps is a kind of "on average" thing. What actually
    happened was that there was a shitload of Mbps and it was all
    dynamically shared out between all the users. In the wee hours (and
    during business hours) I often got 2+ Mbps -- and the limiting factor
    then was that that the outgoing 33k6 modem link got saturated with all
    the ACK packets.

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, May 12, 2004
  12. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Prices don't seem to have improved much in seven years.

    Indeed they havent... and yeat Ihug used(don't know if they still do)
    satelite for a lot of their bandwidth dodging Telecom entirely... maybe
    Ihug is just as bad as Telecom, or maybe it is what pricing should be.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 12, 2004
  13. In article <2dioc.3734$>, nrkn!no-
    spam!@woosh.co.nz says...
    > Rupert wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> Just came across this:
    > >>
    > >> http://web.archive.org/web/19970228073527/http://www.ihug.co.nz/
    > >>
    > >> Look in the bottom right hand corner.
    > >>
    > >> Flat rate, no data cap, 500kbps for $79 per month, or 60 hours for
    > >> $59.
    > >>
    > >> In February 1997. More than seven years ago. However, this is
    > >> downstream only.
    > >> --
    > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > >> http://www.nrkn.com/
    > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    > > that would been ihug ultra i am guessing - it's around the time that
    > > it was introduced from recollection. It's still available today, just
    > > you need a standard dialup connection for upstream traffic.
    > >

    > It's just interesting that seven years ago:
    >
    > StarNet
    > Data cap : None (was probably subject to reasonable use)
    > Speed : ~500kps
    > Price : $79

    A cap was brought in later due to abuse. This is now Ultra

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004