    Old PC with linux and iptables/ipchains
    Cisco router
    , Feb 22, 2007

  2. why? Guest

    On 22 Feb 2007 09:53:35 -0800, lbadanai wrote:

    >A prospect is about to obtain high-speed Internet access for a staff
    >of 10 whose productivity is critical and dependent on connectivity.
    >Which of these gateways do you recommend:
    > Appliance router such as Linksys

    That will be an smtp / antivirus / firewall all-in-one appliance?

    > Old PC with linux and iptables/ipchains

    It's fast enough and easy enough to rebuild? This in't an appliance like
    the above choice.

    > Cisco router

    Neither is that.

    What happened to an 'appliance solution'? What do you want the gateway
    to do?

    My vote would be Cisco and 1 of the ASA boxes.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/index.html

    Isn't that the least of the things you have to consider (which gateway)?

    But hey hopefully you have covered everything else, it's an important
    list?

    So are the choices above the kit you are buying? Why isn't the gateway
    supplied by the service provider and thier maintenance / support
    contract?

    Me
    why?, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-22, <> wrote:
    > A prospect is about to obtain high-speed Internet access for a staff
    > of 10 whose productivity is critical and dependent on connectivity.
    > Which of these gateways do you recommend:
    > Appliance router such as Linksys
    > Old PC with linux and iptables/ipchains
    > Cisco router

    How much IT and networking expertise is there on site? If there isn't a
    Linux/Unix expert right there, go for the 'appliance' approach. In fact,
    as you need to ask at all ... go for the 'appliance' approach.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 22, 2007