    captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.

    http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/

    Ted

    kinsman, Aug 9, 2007

  2. kinsman

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 9, 12:48 pm, kinsman <> wrote:
    > I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
    > guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
    > by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
    > captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
    >
    > http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
    >
    > Ted

    Pretty useless. Too small and covered with watermarks.

    Rich, Aug 9, 2007

  3. kinsman

    Thomas Bates Guest

    In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > On Aug 9, 12:48 pm, kinsman <> wrote:
    > > I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
    > > guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
    > > by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
    > > captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
    > >
    > > http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
    > >
    > > Ted

    > Pretty useless. Too small and covered with watermarks.

    Agreed. The water misting was mis-thought. The downward angle says
    nothing of the collision and for the most part are before or after the
    collision while to some point important to set the scene, it's useless.

    A better thing would have been to take a hint from Dr. Edgerton and
    shoot directly into the club and ball from the height of the tee-ball
    collision. You also need more flash speed.

    These say nothing of the launch angle or spin(how about a mark on the
    ball there!) and so on.

    If I were the text book editor, I'd consider shooting some more.
    --
    Tom

    Thomas Bates, Aug 9, 2007
  4. On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:48:16 -0400, kinsman
    <> wrote:

    >I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
    >guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
    >by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
    >captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
    >
    >http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
    >
    >Ted

    Thanks for sharing.

    I didn't realize how much a golf ball compressed on impact with a
    club. Interesting photos.

    http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/golfb0134.jpg &
    http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/golfb0147.jpg

    Best of luck with the publication.

    Hap

    Hap Shaughnessy, Aug 10, 2007
  5. kinsman

    Allen Guest

    Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:48:16 -0400, kinsman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just finished a photo shoot for a physics text book, and thought you
    >> guys might like to see some of the nice shots of golf balls getting hit
    >> by clubs. The golfer was swinging at 96 MPH while the high speed flash
    >> captured the action at 1/1,000,000th of a second.
    >>
    >> http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/
    >>
    >> Ted

    > Thanks for sharing.
    >
    > I didn't realize how much a golf ball compressed on impact with a
    > club. Interesting photos.
    >
    > http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/golfb0134.jpg &
    > http://sciencephotography.com/projects/golf2web/golfb0147.jpg
    >
    > Best of luck with the publication.
    >
    > Hap

    On the other hand, I was surprised at the small amount of compression. I
    expected more, perhaps because it has been close to 50 years ago that I
    finally realized that I couldn't play golf. This lack of compression
    does indicate that club shafts absorb a great deal of the impact, that
    would otherwise be noticed rather forcefully in the wrists, elbows and
    shoulders.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 10, 2007